Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High pass filter technical details

rpschultz13

Not sure exactly which EQ you are referring to. The ones available as a block, or the Hi/Lo cuts that appear in amps and cabs? There are oinly two EQ's that are not Line 6 creations. One is an MXR 10 band EQ and the other is a sim of the 4 band EQ on MesaBoogies. Everything else is a Line 6 creation.

This is one of the best places for that kind of info

https://helixhelp.com/models?categoryId=3&subCategoryId=5

• Upvote 1

Not all of the EQ filters in the Helix ecosystem have the same slope!

HelixHelp.com assets that the Tilt EQ Block "is a subtle 6dB EQ".

Also see Craig Andertons, The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks. The PDF is loaded with information about Helix and HX family product EQ! On Pg 65 of version 1.1 Craig mentions that the Low and High Cut Block Block "has 18 dB/octave filters". A search for "EQ" in the PDF returns 363 hits. The book has plenty of his charts and also has a few hundred presets. You can find it from Sweetwater Publishing for $19.95

• Upvote 1

I have not looked, but I would be surprised if this feature suggestion were not already somewhere amongst the IdeaScale feature requests.

If you add it to IdeaScale, post the link back to this thread and to TGP, so everyone can see it and vote it up.

Happy Holidays.

• Upvote 3

On 12/24/2022 at 7:53 PM, MusicLaw said:

If you add it to IdeaScale

Hi, 

Is IdeaScale working properly now, because recently anyone trying to add to it or upvote anything has encountered this response.

Community is set to Read Only. Any update operation is not allowed.

IIRC, @PierM sent a PM to Frank R asking for a status report - awaiting a reply. Yawn.

Not only do Line 6 staff no longer bother to visit here, but it also looks like  they no longer take any interest in IdeaScale. I tried to email the contact on IdeaScale and got the email bounced. When I checked his profile on LinkedIn, he ceased working for Line 6 way back in 2015.

Have a cool Yule. Ho, Ho, Ho !

On 12/25/2022 at 7:55 AM, PierM said:

Happy Christmas everybody!

EDIT; No, I was wrong. Still not working.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:00 AM, PerS said:

Marry Christmas every one

/Per

To all our fellow Helix clan

Buon Natale

Feliz Navidad 

Joyeux Noël 

Frohe Weihnachten 

Prettige Kerstdagen 

Feliz Natal 

メリー クリスマス

聖誕快樂 

• Like 1

Yup. Encountering the same error: "Community is set to Read Only. Any update operation is not allowed."

However a search for "Slope" did return 21 Hit results with many of them requesting adjustable slopes for the various EQ Blocks. 

The Error message is preventing voting up any of the existing posts. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, MusicLaw said:

Also see Craig Andertons, The Big Book of Helix Tips & Tricks. The PDF is loaded with information about Helix and HX family product EQ! On Pg 65 of version 1.1 Craig mentions that the Low and High Cut Block Block "has 18 dB/octave filters". 

Thanks for the mention, but regarding the OP, I did not analyze the filter topologies (e.g., Butterworth, Sallen-Key, Chebyshev, Bessel, etc.). However, I didn't see much ripple, so I'm assuming Butterworth is the dominant Helix filter lifeform (it has the flattest passband response). There's the characteristic phase shift of analog filters, so it's probably not a Bessel response. 

True story: I wanted a speaker emulator in my Quadrafuzz (designed mid-80s). So I dutifully created filters, optimized as best as I could for the correct technical performance. But the sound sucked. Eventually, I found that designing screwed-up filters with lots of ripple, phase shift, and as many deviations from ideal as possible sounded the best. Now that I've analyzed cabs, I understand why!

• Upvote 2