Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

how to route out 2 lines from native 3.50 to 2 real FRFR? Stereo sound new dual cabs

josehdx

Dear community.

I dont consider myself advance user but also not a newbie regarding using native or any other plugin for my personal performances. Nevertheless, i would like someone to clarify my questions about the "stereo" settings for using helix native either for recording or for live performances.

First, lets assume i have an audio interface with "more than one" audio out, and 2 phisycal and same amps. The new cab engine on native 3.50 allows to use dual cabs, pan them left and right, and apply a small delay (to one amp) to make the sound wider with the "hass effect" (physics audio topic)

1034065664_ScreenShot09-25-22at02.42PM002.thumb.JPG.d7855250e645ff8321288359fb8842a5.JPG

So, assuming that my effects chains are set up correctly,( using the stereo version of reverbs and delays for example) and assuming that i am using my rig and home with headphones, basically im ready to go for recording. I mean, the stereo sound is achieved on my headphones as far as i can tell.

The effect chain i have is as follows (the dual cabs have the seetings i mentioned before)

1451043486_Screenshot2022-12-26183812.thumb.jpg.91d3d8ad95fe0739ae84269a296bce69.jpg

image.thumb.png.0aca512806a45a926c893a295142b84c.png

That said, for a live performance with 2 real and identicall amps, how should i set the 2 splited lines out from native using a single block with the dual cabs? i mean, on the second pic above, i have the host in and host out in native, thats all. I am using the "gig performer" as a Host sofware and on the first pic, i have 2 lines out, which can be routed to each physically from the interface to the amps meaning one amp should get the left sound with out delays and the other one with the delay, but in the native is just one line out am i right? This is the part that confuses me. 

I hope i was clear with my explanation

Thanks for your assistance 

• 3 months later...

Dear colleagues.

Let me retake this topic an ask something related to the stereo sound in helix native.

For me, there are some differences between the workflow of Hx hardware devices and  the plugin version when we mix the signals.in the end of the chain.

I was trying to follow the video of jeson sadites about how to properly set a stereo chain (https://youtu.be/3eTfhs8J5IU). I notices that he is using a dual amp wich actually is something that o would like to try (as far as i remember SRV was using 2 different heads to get that sound he is known for) But the problem here is, his chain return to the original path while he is using a split Y divider, and if i replicate that on native there is no way i can get the desired ping pong effect, the only solution I found while doing try and error, was to move the merge dot down to return it to the host (I asume that helix HW has the left/right mix in the end of the chain as shown in the video) , but then a question came to my mind, what happens with the cab? It should be somehow connected to the amp on the bottom but apparently it works like this and is weird. As mentioned before, the path lines are treated as stereo, but doing this, looks like it becomes a dry/wet signal to me, even when (to my ears) it sounds stereo.

please find attachments thanks 

Screen Shot 04-03-23 at 06.01 PM.JPG

mysignal.JPG

The signal reaching your output block is mono because both the amp and cab are mono blocks. You need to position your stereo FX after any mono block in the chain.

…. and …. I think it might sound better with a cab/IR after the amp in the 1B path.

If you want the amps to be heard independently and alone in the L/R stereo field, add a merge block routing path 1B back to the end of 1A and use the merge parameters to pan the signals to taste.

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I will carefully follow your instructions as written and report the results.

But i tink that merge thing is the one that mess the ping pong result i am looking for. 

Anyway, i will do the test and find it out

cheers 

On 4/4/2023 at 10:39 PM, silverhead said:

The signal reaching your output block is mono because both the amp and cab are mono blocks. You need to position your stereo FX after any mono block in the chain.

…. and …. I think it might sound better with a cab/IR after the amp in the 1B path.

If you want the amps to be heard independently and alone in the L/R stereo field, add a merge block routing path 1B back to the end of 1A and use the merge parameters to pan the signals to taste.

By the way, the single cab box used there in my screen shot is a new 3.5 dual cab. Meaning i only need one block. That is what jason did and explained in the video as well, he panned one to the left and one to the right 

Edited by josehdx

On 4/4/2023 at 5:04 PM, josehdx said:

By the way, the single can used there is a new 3.5 dual cab. Meaning i only need one block. That is what jason did and explained in the video as well, he panned one to the left and one to the right 

Interesting point about the panned dual cabs but I don’t think it translates to a stereo signal passing thru from your Delay block. I believe each cab receives the incoming stereo signal and sums it to mono. I don’t think one cab takes the L side of the incoming stereo signal and the other takes the R side to maintain and pass thru their respective sides. Rather, each cab turns a stereo signal to mono and then processes it according to the cab parameters. I think panning each cab fully L/R means you only hear the processed (mono) sound of one cab in the L stereo channel and the sound of the other cab only in the R side. I believe any stereo effects in your Delay block are lost on entry to the dual cab block.

But I’m not certain about this. Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong.