Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Notes through HX Stomp XL keep cutting out

alexgliddon01

Hi all

I need some help.

I have a HX Stomp XL and for some reason when I let a chord or note ring out, the sound will get cut short. I literaly can't fully sustain a note because it will go for a bit, then get cut off.

I've contacted Line 6 and they suggested making sure the input noise gate is off, and also trying it in an empty preset. I've done both of those things and it still happens.

The funny thing is that if I play a low note it will ring out longer, before being cut off, and when I play a high note around the 12th fret on a higher string, it cuts off much sooner.

I'm playing a JTV 69s into the HX Stomp XL and then using both outputs to plug into the left and right inputs of some Mackie CR-X 4 speakers.

I have no idea why this is happening. Can anybody help?

Thank you and Happy New Year

I had this exact issue with my helix floor, and after lots of trial and error and even swapping it out I have realized that nothing is wrong, it's just how the helix is.  It has a very "cold" input.  It kinda blows my mind that anyone actually uses the input pad. 

I would first suggest trying some different guitars to make sure (as PierM suggested) it isn't a hardware/setup problem with your guitar.  Then, if you can, try playing through something else to see how that compares.  I have another multifx pedal, a catalyst amp, and also helix native (which I use via a mackie interface).  None of which have the same problem.  What I found was that plugged into the catalyst my tone was great, but going helix into catalyst it was not.  Depending on if I had the helix output set to instrument or line I had to bump up the output level by quite a lot to get volume parity.  This is with a blank preset.  

Originally I was just making all my presets with the first block being a gain block set to a fairly high db boost, but now I just keep this in mind and adjust the amp and any pedals before the amp block accordingly.  I can also 100% tell a difference in the sustain and "feel" between the exact same preset on my helix floor vs helix native, and that also seems to back up my hunch that the issue (not that it's really an issue) is the difference in input gain.

Last thing to note I just thought might be useful info, I have tried multiple guitars with various humbuckers:  cheapo, seymour duncan, fishman fluence, and active EMGs.  All have exactly the same behavior when played through the helix floor only, no issues with my catalyst or boss multifx.

Check by swapping out guitar and cable. Make sure your level is high enough on the main volume, the 'Ch Vol' for the amp block and on your monitor. Does your monitor require line level, check output setting. Do you use the expression pedal for volume, make sure it is not set too low.

How are you connecting the Variax? Standard guitar cable or Ethercon? Try testing both ways.

Just bought an (used) HX Stomp and have exactly the same problem just with the high e (across the first 3 strings). I've tried almost everything and is really frustrating because this device is incredible otherwise. Hopefuly somebody knows how to fix it (or it will be fixed in a future update)

On 1/5/2023 at 11:17 PM, Caok said:

Just bought an (used) HX Stomp and have exactly the same problem just with the high e (across the first 3 strings). I've tried almost everything and is really frustrating because this device is incredible otherwise. Hopefuly somebody knows how to fix it (or it will be fixed in a future update)

What are you saying is happening, exactly? The notes from the 3 highest strings are cutting out? I don’t really see how that could be a Helix issue…

On 1/7/2023 at 9:10 PM, phil_m said:

What are you saying is happening, exactly? The notes from the 3 highest strings are cutting out? I don’t really see how that could be a Helix issue…

I figured it out. Turns out I'm just an idiot lol. I had the imput impedance wrong and added send/return blocks (for like the wet/dry stuff) in my chain instead of just the fx loop, so I had to have my reverb in kill dry mode and so on. In the end I set everything right and was good to go. Coming from a simple chain I never had to deal with something like this before so I was lost