Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

line6 and linux

hello

Under linux like debian, ubuntu, the hardware is well detected ==> ok
On the other hand, hx edit, and other configuration software only work under WIN or MAC-OS.
since many musicians are under Linux, it would be interesting to have for example a Linux version of HX EDIT (.deb).

What do you think ?

this would avoid creating a win VM in linux.

Bests regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Patked,

as was once pointed out to me by another user (datacommando):

"This link is where you need to go to have any hope of it been seen by anyone from Line 6:

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/campaigns/47762/stage/all/ideas/unspecified?tag=linux

You will need to register to vote. There are 3 active threads 2 of which are from 2015 and have not progressed. The top one seems that only 19 people have voted for this at this time, so I don’t think this will ever be a priority for Line 6, but you never know!"

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2022 at 5:07 AM, patked said:

hello

Under linux like debian, ubuntu, the hardware is well detected ==> ok
On the other hand, hx edit, and other configuration software only work under WIN or MAC-OS.
since many musicians are under Linux, it would be interesting to have for example a Linux version of HX EDIT (.deb).

What do you think ?

this would avoid creating a win VM in linux.

Bests regards

I think it's a great idea, especially since Windows is pretty much trash in comparison. How it manages to have a stronghold despite being flawed buggy crapware is beyond me.

On 2/26/2023 at 11:19 AM, jeffb79 said:

I think it's a great idea, especially since Windows is pretty much trash in comparison. How it manages to have a stronghold despite being flawed buggy crapware is beyond me.

The expression "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" probably sums it up but I can give a few reasons from a development point of view...

1) Compatibility - Regardless of what people think about Windows, there is no other OS that can claim to have compatibility anywhere near it. I know saying this will get a lot of people stirred up but Apple seems to go out of their way to break every third party app with every major OS release. You will see complaints about compatibility with Windows 11 but most of them are about the new security features that can't be turned on rather than something being broken. You can run all of the Line 6 applications and drivers on Windows 7 - 11. No slight to Line 6 but it has more to do with Windows than Line 6's development skills.

2) Drivers - Drivers exist for all hardware and all OS versions including third party hardware (USB).

3) Interface - Cross platform apps that try to use the same interface for everyone are horrible. You end up with an interface that is unfamiliar on every platform. Your best bet would be to package the backend code and then provide a native UI for each but that's a lot of work and testing for three platforms with Linux being the smallest footprint for potential users.

4) Development Tools - The Windows development tools are fantastic.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all, I'm gonna add my voice to this, since Microsoft announced windows 10 EOL on mid-october 2025 (announcements for home & pro and enterprise & education) and I won't be switching to 11. In fact I'm already moving back to linux. Virtualization doesn't seem like an option (I'm not even willing to look into it) and I'd rather avoid wine if possible — actually, the time I used to spend fighting with wine was the reason I came back to windows after 15+ years of linux-only.

I'll wait for my ideascale account to be approved and go check what's up there.

As for a .deb, I'm not too sure if that would be the correct move. It could be. Or maybe just release a proprietary (linux native) blob + summary instructions like “unpack this to /opt/something, you'll need this and that dependency”, and then let distro people handle the fine-tuned packaging?

Edited by gourgou
s/is/was/