Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can I rollback my variax to be able to use the regular workbench, not the HD version?

1- Not the date, it's the Flash version. Maybe do it using Flash v1.90 program via Monkey or our Downloads page. Otherwise it won't do it.

Once it jumps to HD program, that's it.

2- It would have to come out of an older unit with 1.72 or 1.90, DON'T use 1.8xx firmware, it has a glitch. The boards that authorized techs

get from us have current Firmware programmed by me,... and even I can't roll back beyond 1.90 program, even if I wanted to.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:53 AM, silverhead said:

No. The JTV models will simply not work with the original Workbench software.

It does work. You just have to rollback the JTV to v1.9. The only way to do this is to make sure the workbench apps are closed, as the monkey won't give you the option while they're open. 

On 12/31/2022 at 11:57 AM, hankeaston said:

It does work. You just have to rollback the JTV to v1.9. The only way to do this is to make sure the workbench apps are closed, as the monkey won't give you the option while they're open. 

Good to know. Just curious…. Why do you need/want to give up the benefits of JTV firmware v2.x in order to stay on the original Workbench? 

To be honest, overall the HD samples are no where near as good as the originals, especially the acoustic guitars. Pretty much all the electrics were better before the HD imo, except for maybe the 335. The strat pales in comparison to the old one. Also the I found no need to adjust the individual string volume with the old software but neede it big time with the HD, and still after spending hours working with the HD and  a/b'ing with my old sounds, I was very disappointed. 

I’ve heard many reports that people prefer the pre-HD Variax models, and there’s no refuting personal preference. I wonder… in your A/B comparisons and testing did you ever try importing an old Variax Workbench preset/model into Workbench HD? If that works and sounds good then you could ‘upgrade’ to the new features and still retain the old models. I’ve no idea whether it does work but might be worth a try.

Oh yes, I tried everything! It's one or the other. If they would have kept all the old models and offered some new ones that would have been ideal. I don't know what they did in regards to sampling with the HD software but it's overall not good. Some of the new features are cool, but nothing I can't live without. Just happy I was able to get my old sounds back! I was already looking for a replacement ax that had the old firmware... Also you would think the HD would be faster, but it's not at least on my Mac.

OK, I understand now. The main reason I asked "why?" is because legacy Workbench is such a train wreck to use on newer systems. I kept an old Macbook running old OSX and Java mainly to run legacy Workbench to use with my Variax 700 acoustic. If it ran on modern systems, and if  old Variax firmware was easier to swap in and out of my Variax Standard, I would love to play around with the options. For example, I loved the ability to pitch a string down an octave to blend with the unpitched string sound on my Acoustic 700; something I was not able to do using my Standard with Workbench HD.