Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Edit Won't Boot

sdsingle

I am getting my Helix stuff set up again after a long time away.  After successfully updating the Helix firmware to 3.50 via Line 6 Updater, I now can't get Hx Edit to open.  I'm on Windows 11.  I've tried 3.50 and 3.51, and both seem to install fine, but nothing happens when either clicking the desktop icon or going to the file location of the executable and clicking on that.  Windows hourglass appears for moment, but no error message, nothing. Tried rebooting the PC, run as administrator, factory reset the Helix, tried launching with Helix on and Helix off, uninstalled and reinstalled, no dice.  Any ideas?

Thanks, found this:

Windows does seem to recognize that some Line 6 drivers are incompatible with "Memory Integrity" but in response it supposedly shuts off that feature so that the incompatible drivers can load (I have some non-Line 6 incompatible drivers listed and those do not appear to be causing any problems).

I've also found the threads on conflicts with memory cards and USB flash drives, but I don't have any of those.

OK, some additional info and a (not very acceptable) workaround.  I have a 1TB external Samsung drive connected via USB, and if I don't plug that in both HX Edit and HX Native in ProTools are now working. When I plug in that drive I can no longer launch HX Edit.   Additional info if it matters: Windows and system files are on C drive, disk 1.  An additional internal SATA HDD is drive D disk 0 and does not seem to cause an issue.  The external drive is E, disk 2.  I've tried different USB ports on front and back of my PC to connect the drive and that seems to not matter.

That external drive has pretty much all the files I use so it's kind of a pain to not be able to use at it at the same time as HX Edit and HX Native.  Any recommendations for how to resolve this?  Is there some Windows drive management setting I can adjust?

Edited by sdsingle
misstated drive type

Linking an additional thread that discusses issues around disk 0 and external storage devices.  I'm basically where this guy is:

This is a long thread but see this post and the posts from @Camelot_One starting around April 2020 describing issues around disk 0.  Some issues seemed to have been patched but there's something still going on for me.  Again I have a disk 0, and the external drive causing the issue is disk 2.  So I'm thinking there has to be some setting I can change to resolve the conflict.  Having a connected external drive via USB is such a common setup so there must be something I can do.

On 1/4/2023 at 8:40 PM, sdsingle said:

An additional internal SSD is drive D disk 0 and does not seem to cause an issue.

Hi,

The SSD issue has been noted many, many times over the past couple of years in these threads. Are you absolutely certain that the SSD is definitely not the cause of the problem.

See the comment from “Camelot_One”.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT

You just be me to the reference post!

Apologies, I misspoke, that internal drive D disk 0 is not a solid state drive, it's a regular SATA.  The C drive disk 1 with Windows and systems files is a SSD.  Both of those are internal and everything works fine with them enabled.  The issue is caused by plugging in the external SSD plugged in via USB and mounted as disk 2.  It's this:

https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/portable-solid-state-drives/portable-ssd-t5-1tb-mu-pa1t0b-am/

Will edit the original comment.

• Upvote 1

My Helix LT upgrade to 3.5 firmware was successful. It’s the other half that I’m not getting. I’ve lost my editor and have a non working processor. I paid a grand for the Helix and holding  down the middle bottom 2 buttons doesn’t do crap. I major pissed because you guys at Line6 haven’t giving me any support. I’ve even offered to box it up and send it to you to get it working again. Please just tell me where to send it or get me a mechanic on the phone or email me. Thank you!

On 1/5/2023 at 12:16 AM, Playingwitheart said:

My Helix LT upgrade to 3.5 firmware was successful. It’s the other half that I’m not getting. I’ve lost my editor and have a non working processor. I paid a grand for the Helix and holding  down the middle bottom 2 buttons doesn’t do crap. I major pissed because you guys at Line6 haven’t giving me any support. I’ve even offered to box it up and send it to you to get it working again. Please just tell me where to send it or get me a mechanic on the phone or email me. Thank you!

Hi,

You seem to be a little upset, but you’re not very clear in describing the situation. I understand your annoyance with this situation, but when seeking assistance from other forum members (we are not Line 6 staff and they seldom show up in here), it helps to know exactly what your computer and operating system is.

You say that that you have managed to successfully update your LT to v.3.50 firmware, and than say not only have you “lost”  HX Edit, you also have a “non working processor”.

Firstly, if you followed the update procedure precisely, then you should have a fully functioning version of HX Edit v.3.50 (or even better v.3.51) installed on your computer, because, that is what you use to install the latest firmware. Then you said that “holding  down the middle bottom 2 buttons doesn’t do crap”. Hmm… well those two buttons should be held down while turning the power on to your Helix LT. Just pressing them does zip, zilch, zero - plus that button combination is for Resetting the Factory Presets, Global Presets and Clearing the IRs. 

If you have failed to update your hardware correctly, or are having other serious problems with the firmware update follow this link and follow the directions to the letter. 

Hope this helps/makes sense.

EDIT:

You don’t seem to have much success with this stuff, because I have just realised you are the same person who posted a similar thing a couple of years back!

Hmm… yeah, right! Maybe you could find a 15 year old kid to do the update for you.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2023 at 5:16 PM, Playingwitheart said:

So you came here to whine about it without providing the details we'd need to give you the help which you feel that L6 has cruelly refused to provide you?

So sad.

FWIW - nobody from L6 hangs out here. We are users, just like you, who choose to make an effort to help other users.

If you take a deep breath and provide full details of your problem, MAYBE we can help, but NOBODY wants to hear attitude.

In the immortal words of Sgt Friday - "Just the facts, ma'am!"

• Upvote 1

UPDATE!!! - I looked into BIOS settings to see if there was any way to force a different disk numbering, and didn't see anything there. But as a last ditch effort, I opened up my PC and moved the SATA cable for my internal data drive D from port 0 on the motherboard to port 1.  As it has all along, Windows still assigns this drive disk 0, my boot drive C, disk 1, and my external USB drive as disk 2, drive E.  Go figure but for whatever reason HX Edit and HX Native both work fine now.  Fingers crossed that it'll survive the coming hardware or software restarts, etc., but for now it seems I am all set.

On 1/11/2023 at 9:50 PM, sdsingle said:

Well yes, if I unplug it, start HX Edit, it works.  But then when I plug it in again it doesn't work.

It's probably too late for this question based on your last post but are you saying that plugging in hour drive causes an issue immediately? If I remember correctly because it's been a while, I could push the SD card back in after starting Native and it would continue running fine. If you chose to close Native then you might have to do the routine again. It's just the startup where it does a serial number read that causes the problem. It's not really the serial read. It's just a bug in the call to the API. They are not treating the return code properly.