Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Missing IR error message

ovidionasone

Hi,

I downloaded a tone for my HX Stomp from the Custom Tone forum and it seems to work fine but I do get this error message telling me it's missing an IR. Is there a way to find out what this IR is and is there a way to get it? I'm using the HX Stomp software on my Mac. I'm new to this, thx

Screenshot 2023-01-02 at 16.24.25.png

Folks who post tones that include IRs without specifying what the IR is are wasting everybody's time. Unless the poster provided a contact you're S.O.L.

Try some of your faves for the genre. Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately, thanks to the abysmally bad IR management of the HX family, there's no way to find out which IR is missing. So even in case you had it on your computer already (perhaps from an IR pack you've purchased), you'd be out of luck, go figure. It really doesn't get much worse.

On 1/3/2023 at 7:39 AM, SaschaFranck said:

Unfortunately, thanks to the abysmally bad IR management of the HX family, there's no way to find out which IR is missing. So even in case you had it on your computer already (perhaps from an IR pack you've purchased), you'd be out of luck, go figure. It really doesn't get much worse.

So, Customtone should include code to parse the preset for the IR name and insert it into the listing?

It is the responsibility of the user who uploaded the preset to provide that info, and a comments area is provided for that purpose.

That said, it WOULD be helpful if the Customtone landing page included the info that IRs won't upload. 

Of course, half the people who upload presets to Customtone are too lazy to type in ANY information AT ALL about their glorious creations, so there's that.

On 1/3/2023 at 8:02 PM, rd2rk said:

So, Customtone should include code to parse the preset for the IR name and insert it into the listing?

No, this isn't about Customtone (just sort of related), simply because it happens with each and every patch that is missing an IR. In addition to telling you the name of the missing IR (which could obviously help in aquiring it), HX Edit should offer a search option, as easy as that. Bog standard in computer land and a massive oversight.

On 1/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, SaschaFranck said:

…., HX Edit should offer a search option, as easy as that. ….

Interesting idea.Maybe one for Ideascale? 

Can you expand on this? Do you mean that HX Edit should dynamically search for all IRs in the public domain every time a missing IR is encountered on loading a preset, and keep that function up to date as new IRs are constantly offered by all vendors? And since specific IR names are generally not mentioned publicly - vendors release IR packages with public names, but do not list the hundreds of individual IR names contained in the package - HX Edit should apply some heuristics to guess which vendor package might contain a specific IR name? That seems like a daunting task to me. How is what you have in mind ‘as easy as that’?

On 1/4/2023 at 2:52 PM, silverhead said:

Interesting idea.Maybe one for Ideascale?

I think it's up there already (will crosscheck later on).

Can you expand on this?

Well, the first thing would be a bog standard local search option.

Step 1: "IR "Killercab_01.wav" is missing"

Step 2: "Do you want me to search for "Killercab_01.wav"?"

Step 3: Search a) filesystem, b) drive, c) folder, d) manually?

This is how pretty much each decent software sampler does it already.

Do you mean that HX Edit should dynamically search for all IRs in the public domain every time a missing IR is encountered on loading a preset, and keep that function up to date as new IRs are constantly offered by all vendors?

That might be an interesting extension of whatever search functions, but it surely wouldn't work without all/most/plenty of IR vendors agreeing to kind of sign into a global database. Which IMO would only make sense in case plenty of modeler vendors would take part as well. In a nutshell, a rather herculean task.

But seriously: A decent local search option would help a lot already. Maybe even with patches downloaded from Customtone - I mean, it's not unlikely that you might have an overlapping group of IRs on your harddrive as the patch creator.
And it'd obviously help even more with your own patches.

Thanks for clarifying. Yes, a local search option would be manageable. Glad to see it's already up on Ideascale. And yes - I agree who people who use IRs in their Customtone posts should identify its use and origin.

I'm also curious to see over time whether the new cab features in Helix v2.5 will have any affect on the overall desire for Helix users to purchase 3rd party IRs. It certainly has removed any desire/need that I have.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, silverhead said:

I'm also curious to see over time whether the new cab features in Helix v2.5 will have any affect on the overall desire for Helix users to purchase 3rd party IRs. It certainly has removed any desire/need that I have.

Admitting up front that I'm NOT a "golden ears" tone-hound kind of player, I haven't used a 3rd party IR since 3.5 was released.

I just hope that they're busy shooting all of the other cabs that weren't in this release!