Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best practices for volume when using the Helix as an interface

bthalman

I just recently tried using my Helix as a recording interface and I absolutely love it. You just plug it in and it sounds good. Two questions that I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on:

1) When using the Helix as an interface there's no way to control the volume of the guitar I'm playing vs. the volume of the mix. I've compensated for this by running everything but the guitar into a special bus and then controlling the volume that way. Does anyone have any better suggestions? I should add that I like the zero-latency option of hearing what I'm playing straight out of the unit, and I would prefer not to use the DAW monitoring.

2) Is there a way to boost the signal? Especially on the DI 7/8 inputs? Is that done through channel volume? Is it the main volume?

Like I said you can't beat the sound of the Helix, but I just wish I had some more control over the signal gain and volume mix and thought you guys might know. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

HI - 

I have similar question to above.  I have been using helix live for a long time, but haven't done a ton of recording at home with it   I understand the for digital recording it doesn't need to have a 'hot' signal.   I also understand that some amp models are louder than others and I use a bunch of different models and am able to get volumes matched OK and get good signal to PA and/or powered speakers (i don't always run the big knob at 100%, but the general consensus seems to be that 100% is best sound... sometimes it's just too loud... plus, for seeting USB levels, I think the big knob doesn't matter anyway)

However, I am using my lowly garage band to try to do some basic demos.  When I use the GB drums, those WAV forms are quite high level.. I usually lower them a bit, but it just seems that I should be recording my other signals (guitar, bass, vox) at similar levels just to simplify mixing and have some consistency.

Helix patches that seem very loud into a normal mixer and/or powered speaker are super low volume in GB.  So low, that (even if the sound quality is theoretically good) they can't be mixed high enough.   (for ex; deluxe reverb with gain around 5, master at 10, ch. volue 8-10)

Do most users have one set of presets for recording and another for live?  When I boost the helix final output stage (for live, I typically leave that at 0, but to get what looks like a good/useful level in GB requires boosting that up roughly 10db), then the patch seems way too loud for live use?  (with the 'live' presets I use, that signal is pretty hot going to our mackie PA mixer... I usually have to have the trim on the channel down all the way,  so seems weird to have to boost so much when recording?  Also, don't want to have 2 sets of presets and don't want to have to adjust volumes every time I go to a gig.

thanks in advance for any help!

On 3/6/2023 at 4:56 PM, scottwilliams said:

HI - 

I have similar question to above.  I have been using helix live for a long time, but haven't done a ton of recording at home with it   I understand the for digital recording it doesn't need to have a 'hot' signal.   I also understand that some amp models are louder than others and I use a bunch of different models and am able to get volumes matched OK and get good signal to PA and/or powered speakers (i don't always run the big knob at 100%, but the general consensus seems to be that 100% is best sound... sometimes it's just too loud... plus, for seeting USB levels, I think the big knob doesn't matter anyway)

However, I am using my lowly garage band to try to do some basic demos.  When I use the GB drums, those WAV forms are quite high level.. I usually lower them a bit, but it just seems that I should be recording my other signals (guitar, bass, vox) at similar levels just to simplify mixing and have some consistency.

Helix patches that seem very loud into a normal mixer and/or powered speaker are super low volume in GB.  So low, that (even if the sound quality is theoretically good) they can't be mixed high enough.   (for ex; deluxe reverb with gain around 5, master at 10, ch. volue 8-10)

Do most users have one set of presets for recording and another for live?  When I boost the helix final output stage (for live, I typically leave that at 0, but to get what looks like a good/useful level in GB requires boosting that up roughly 10db), then the patch seems way too loud for live use?  (with the 'live' presets I use, that signal is pretty hot going to our mackie PA mixer... I usually have to have the trim on the channel down all the way,  so seems weird to have to boost so much when recording?  Also, don't want to have 2 sets of presets and don't want to have to adjust volumes every time I go to a gig.

thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

I realise that this may appear blindingly obvious, but did you read the article that is linked in the post above from @rd2rk.

Short answer is, no you do not need 2 sets of presets to use your Helix to record and for live work. Learn how to set levels.

Hope this helps/makes sense

Oh, yeah - GarageBand audio levels - you might want to check this out!

Plus this!

Edited by datacommando
Added videos

On 3/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, scottwilliams said:

I've bolded the problem above.

Some people make it work - it is an economical solution. You should probably look for a forum or FB group for GB users.

The problem is NOT Helix.

@scotwilliams - If you want control over your DAW input levels from Helix, run an output from your Helix into your audio interface, and set the level there. Just make sure you provide yourself with enough headroom...

Maybe some answer already mentioned this, but there is a return level into your helix that adjusts the level coming from your daw. You can find it in the settings of the unit somewhere (don't have mine in front of me right now), it's called RETURN and has dB scale IIRC, and won't affect your guitar volume but only playback volume. A bit cumbersome but hopefully you won't have to change it so often.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:59 AM, ossianott said:

Maybe some answer already mentioned this, but there is a return level into your helix that adjusts the level coming from your daw. You can find it in the settings of the unit somewhere (don't have mine in front of me right now), it's called RETURN and has dB scale IIRC, and won't affect your guitar volume but only playback volume. A bit cumbersome but hopefully you won't have to change it so often.

It’s called USB 1/2 Trim, found in Global Settings -> Ins/Outs.

• Thanks 1