Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stereo and mono out.

aed1421

I have a stereo patch that is XLR out L/R to house.  Is there a way to send just one of the sides (L or R) to the 1/4 inch out for stage monitoring (4x12 cab  powered by clean poweramp) and send the stereo mix to house?  When I send the current stereo mix out of the 1/4 out to the 4x12 cab  is sounds like I am in a tin can through those speakers.    

On 1/4/2023 at 10:36 AM, aed1421 said:

I have a stereo patch that is XLR out L/R to house.  Is there a way to send just one of the sides (L or R) to the 1/4 inch out for stage monitoring (4x12 cab  powered by clean poweramp) and send the stereo mix to house?  When I send the current stereo mix out of the 1/4 out to the 4x12 cab  is sounds like I am in a tin can through those speakers.    

Hi,

You didn’t mention which unit you’re using, but the answer is the same (also check the Owner’s Manual).

Check the reply from @jbuhajla in this old thread,

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Using Helix Floor.  I get the sum of both channels out of the 1/4 (L/mono) just fine.  However,  it does not sound great.  The slight delay between the 2 stereo signals sums up to sound like I its in a tin can with a lot of reverb.  The stereo XLR (L/R) sounds great in headphones or reference monitors but not the 1/4 summed mono send to the 4x12 cab.  I've tried FRFR speakers too with the same result.   Having written this I realize I have not tried the R-1/4 out yet.

I am a user of both Helix floor and LT.  I have the exact same setup you are describing. 

I go to FOH in stereo with XLR (L/R) cables and use Left/Mono 1/4" for my personal monitor mix. 

However....

I experience a bug that always comes back shown below.   See other threads regarding Left/mono not working correctly. 

When I power on my Helix, I must always plug something into the right 1/4", then unplug it.  Without doing that, Left/Mono 1/4" is not summing the signal correctly. 

If you want to be sure you don't experience this live, then perform the trick I describe.   If you play professional gigs and you don't want to unexpectedly start hearing something weird your important solo moment?  -- then perform the trick I describe.   

I tried using an adapter to combine Left 1/4" and Right 1/4" into a single 1/4" jack.  However, the signal was noticeably hotter that way.  So I went back to (see below).

• Upvote 1

When you say "the 2 stereo paths", do you mean both the XLR and 1/4" paths interfering with each other or just the 1/4" path summed and interfering with itself? Either way, are you using both paths? If not, you could create the same patch on both paths and set one output to XLR and the other to 1/4"  and adjust the pans and levels on each path the way you wanted. You could even add a delay and delay the problem path just enough to eliminate the slight delay so summing to mono would work better. Hope this makes sense.