Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How Do I Switch From Modeling To Magnetics On 69

Don't beat on it, but it does take a little pressure to engage/disengage that knob. If its working as it should (deep breath everyone...its the knob again...sigh...), the knob should depress slightly, then return to neutral position, and the light should turn off.

Page 4 of JTV Pilot's Guide:

3. Guitar Model Selector - Push in this knob (LED is lit) to access any of the 10 Variax guitar model banks or one of two user definable custom model banks. When in Variax mode the Guitar Model Selector LED will illuminate the active guitar model bank. There are actually 5 models per bank, as defined by the Selector Switch position. Press this knob again (LED is not lit) to use the magnetic pickups.

Line 6 has a chronic mechanical tolerance issue with the JTV-69 mode switch that prevents you from pushing the shaft far enough down to activate it.  Try this:  Carefully pull the knob off the guitar by grasping it around the sides of the knob and lifting straight up.  Do NOT pull on the chrome cap as they tend to separate from the knob easily.  When the knob is off, push down on the shaft with your thumb and see if you can get it to switch that way.  If it works, drop a little circle of cardboard into the hole on the knob and push it back on gently.  That should let you depress the shaft a bit further and get more reliable switching.

• Upvote 2

Line 6 has a chronic mechanical tolerance issue with the JTV-69 mode switch that prevents you from pushing the shaft far enough down to activate it.  Try this:  Carefully pull the knob off the guitar by grasping it around the sides of the knob and lifting straight up.  Do NOT pull on the chrome cap as they tend to separate from the knob easily.  When the knob is off, push down on the shaft with your thumb and see if you can get it to switch that way.  If it works, drop a little circle of cardboard into the hole on the knob and push it back on gently.  That should let you depress the shaft a bit further and get more reliable switching.

So do I pull the black housing around the chrome knob to get the knob out? This is just a week old guitar so trying to be extra careful in case I need to send it back. Also, if I change the input on my HD500 to Variax Magnetics instead of Variax it switches to the magnetics even though the knob remains lit. 

So do I pull the black housing around the chrome knob to get the knob out? This is just a week old guitar so trying to be extra careful in case I need to send it back. Also, if I change the input on my HD500 to Variax Magnetics instead of Variax it switches to the magnetics even though the knob remains lit. 

This is probably a good sign that it's a just a mechanical issue with the switch. If you were not able to switch to mags even with the 500, then that would seem to indicate an electrical issue somewhere beyond the switch itself. I've never pulled mine apart, so I can't help you with that, though...good luck.

Seriously?  On a $1400 guitar you have to do surgery (however minor) that involves little circles of cardborad? Alrightythen....

Glad the OP got his guitar working the way it should have to begin with and, of course, the people of this forum are great help all around -- but man that kind of thing is to me unacceptable.

• Upvote 1

It's not a pretty situation.  Line 6 appears to have nagging quality-control issues in two primary areas:  The selector knob on JTV-69s and the selector toggle switch on JTV-59s.  The latter seems to be far more serious since it's not trivial to replace that part.

This is why the purchase by Yamaha is so important.  Line 6 is at the point in the growth of a company where I believe they were running out of operating cash.  This explains why defects in the v2.0 Variax firmware have not been addressed (probably short-staffed on software developers or unable to budget for a suitable contractor) and why much-needed redesign of switches and knobs hasn't occurred.  Getting an injection of cash from the much larger Yamaha Musical Instruments group should help in all areas.

The concepts and algorithms behind the Variax are sound, but the execution has lagged.  I look forward to this changing for the better!

• Upvote 1

It's not a pretty situation.  Line 6 appears to have nagging quality-control issues in two primary areas:  The selector knob on JTV-69s and the selector toggle switch on JTV-59s.  The latter seems to be far more serious since it's not trivial to replace that part.

Oh great, now I gotta worry about my JTV59 toggle switch crapping out?  So far so good...

Thanks for the heads up...

• Upvote 1

like anything else that could possibly happen....

but i think the majority of the complaints are of ones with issue leaving the factory.

if you have a good one now, in all likeliness it will remain good.

unless your lawyer is murphy.

:)

Oh great, now I gotta worry about my JTV59 toggle switch crapping out?  So far so good...

Thanks for the heads up...

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

So I just had my JTV Korean do this to me 2 weks ago and it is just dead. lights came on played a bit and it just faded. I had the switching issues in the beginning. I will try this but things are not looking good. I have triede all flashes and rolled back to 1.9 as I had doubts about 2.0.  I hope this little tweak works as I have not had good luck with these. For three main parts these should be better. !switching dead right out of the gate-now fixed, now switching models/tunings is dead and Line 6 says it is all on me...only thing left is a battery that works so far but is worthless to me. If the battery dies you can't even order one so guess it may be the beginning of the end. This guitar is a headache. Trying this now.

If the battery dies you can't even order one so guess it may be the beginning of the end. This guitar is a headache. Trying this now.

Replacement batteries are easy to get... no worries there...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JTVBATT?device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CILprOOqhL4CFUuXOgodCiQA4w

Got some info on a battery option thanks, I thought I need to get one through here and had not looked very far per on going issues. Good to know thx radatats! I will check out further when I get this issue figured out.