Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 BFace Dbl Vib > Helix

markwesse

Howdy and new years greetz

I would have paid easily for a hd500 models pack > Helix

Ok, I only really need a couple but I have wasted days trying to get this...

I have a couple of original songs recorded with the HD500 and there is a great mid range richness...it was chosen because after a couple of tweaks, it just has the right 'space' for vocals etc.

The Helix model with all the variations sounds great too BUT it is much more hifi and despite my best attempts (Ive been gigging for over 40 years and used pod since the first model).  I have tried using it but there is just something fatiguing about it

SO

I am keeping a podhd atm so I can still gig and do those songs but WHY? I need it to be streamlined...the whole point of Helix

The new helix stuff is definitely amazing but there needs to be some respect for at least allowing users to download old models if needed, as they have done with legacy fx...great move. I cant seem to run an amp without a cab in HD so I can even tell if its cab or amp related.

Ill do IR if I have to but that wont do the non linear aspects of the sound

Has anyone had success with this particular amp/cab?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seriously doubt that there's a team in Calabasas dedicating L6 resources to making Helix amps that sound like the old HD500 amps. Some of the Helix amps were, in fact, ported over from older devices, but (IMO) they sound better, as do the "legacy" FX. It's new tech. It just sounds different.

FWIW - I think the Helix Twin emulation and new cabs sound great.

Try different MICs and distances. Try the Tilt EQ. Lots of tonal modifiers in Helix. Work with it.

It might never sound perfect, but then, you still have the HD for "those" songs.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 7:11 PM, rd2rk said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seriously doubt that there's a team in Calabasas dedicating L6 resources to making Helix amps that sound like the old HD500 amps. Some of the Helix amps were, in fact, ported over from older devices, but (IMO) they sound better, as do the "legacy" FX. It's new tech. It just sounds different.

FWIW - I think the Helix Twin emulation and new cabs sound great.

Try different MICs and distances. Try the Tilt EQ. Lots of tonal modifiers in Helix. Work with it.

It might never sound perfect, but then, you still have the HD for "those" songs.

Cheers

Actually spent a whole day...gave up, its just toooo diff; all the above. Yeah I went back to the HD...the midrange is killer...Helix doesnt actually sound like the amp as much...it does sound 'better' ie hifi and feel a little better to touch

Totally get it (Calabasas)...but if something sounds good...you know the deal...it is good...just because something is new, doesnt mean its better...in this case its different and pretty much when you get a particular sound...thats it. I dont keep fiddling with that one...sure, do a diff version etc but I always have core sounds and extend from that as its the performance connection that is so important to me. Thats why I still use my orig TS808 from 1982 (17th birthday...yep Im old)...it just has something that you can pick AB (my wife could easily tell hehe)

• Like 1

On quick trick before you give up is to just quickly go through all of the cabs. It's surprising what might pop up. You can just move down the list with your down arrow and quickly listen to everything. Of course, there are more parameters to mess with (mic and mic placement) but something may get your attention that you can tweak some more. Also there is the IR rabbit hole. I think there are a bunch of "Fender" IR's out there.

On 1/25/2023 at 2:25 AM, roryburns said:

The new helix stuff is definitely amazing but there needs to be some respect for at least allowing users to download old models if needed

Nonsense. It's new technology. The old tech is not compatible. Your use of the word "respect" is misplaced and disrespectful in this context.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:03 AM, rd2rk said:

Nonsense. It's new technology. The old tech is not compatible. Your use of the word "respect" is misplaced and disrespectful in this context.

I got what he was saying...and it is an issue of loyalty...I bought one of the first pods in Australia and despite my registrations, I own a lot of L6 gear, some brilliant, some a complete waste of money (jm4).

I def would have paid the price of a model pack (even double ;-\)...and yeah got closer with mics/cabs. If I add up my wages on the time I spent trying, I could have bought another helix...Im serious; sometimes, time is more important

Is it still capture or modelling? They ported the fx? (and a big thank you for that :-)

Its just when you get A sound, its signature...dragging around a hd is a little bothering hehe; Helix just does not have the rounding of the transients which is like a unique built in compressor.

eg I still use a D70; did sound design on them when they first come out...filters are absolute butter; its a signature hence why eg deep forest used it exclusively for some sounds. Power caps are still going...and I have a lot of software synths...admittedly remakes of what I grew up on but others as well...each one has a signature. Point is I can still access all my old hardware synths that I own (except d70 which is on the way)...that is brilliant and well worth the money...

Its an artists signature ie not just the colours but the brushes