Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Soft Plastic On Scribble Strips?

ToneRanger72

I had a Helix for about 9+ months, and have noticed that the plastic over the scribble strips is REALLY soft - I installed my own screen protectors as I was noticing how easily it would scratch, but as you can see to the right of the protector on the top set of strips where just wiping with a cloth totally scuffed it up.
Also on the bottom set a small ruler fell of my workbench and left a hole - see arrows below.

20230112_160903.jpg

My question is - I know it shipped with a protective film (I still have that on the main screen and the wah strip,) but I removed that from the scribbles.
Is the remaining surface another protective film or is that the actual surface? I don't want to try and peel something off that is supposed to be permanent, but it seems really soft and scratches so easily.

Removing the clear plastic film which shipped covering the scribble strips (Expression Pedal display and Main display window) exposes their windows to whatever the environment throws at them! 

One easy solution I used was to use a large tablet sized screen protector. These are the sort of clear film sheet material commonly sold in smaller sizes to protect smartphone screens. They are very reasonably priced and often include multiple sheets in one package. (Tip: Buy one for last year's large tablet and it will be priced well below the current model's precut material. Also buy the type which is peel and stick -- not the type which requires any activating liquid spray.) Simply use a straight edge and sharp razor to cut the film material into long strips for the Scribble Strips and appropriately sized sections to cover and protect the Main Display window and Expression Pedal display with about a 1/8" border. I have found these to adhere well and do a great job!

• Upvote 1

I have my helix in a travel bag with all the other stuff I need for a gig, and sadly the strip above the expression pedal cracked and the liquid Crystal means can’t see anything. Plus the master volume is kind of loose (the knob attaching it to the mechanics beneath). It’s been through some punishment, but there are a few elements of the helix that should have been done a bit more robustly I would say. Still love it though. 

Oh, and the forum needs to do something about pictures. The image above rendered square unless it’s clicked on when view on iPhone, and it makes the helix look weird!!!

On 1/14/2023 at 3:58 PM, RitchieM said:

It’s been through some punishment, but there are a few elements of the helix that should have been done a bit more robustly I would say.

Hi,

Here’s a link to a couple of videos from about 7 years back.

Have a listen to what Dale Wagler (Line 6 senior industrial designer) has to say about the Helix, from 1:36 to 2:40, on this video.

https://youtu.be/gQbQtPeD7NQ

Even better have a look at a Helix getting a real kicking on this one from 0:26

https://youtu.be/u38HcVMHZ-M

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 1/14/2023 at 7:47 PM, jkellam24 said:

I got my Helix Black Friday. There was not any plastic over the scribnle strips. I am thinking I mave have recieved a b stock or refurbished unit.

Possibly, but people often buy something, use it a week and return it. I wouldn't call it B Stock or Refurbished.... at most it's "open box". 

• Upvote 1

On 1/15/2023 at 1:47 AM, jkellam24 said:

I got my Helix Black Friday. There was not any plastic over the scribnle strips. I am thinking I mave have recieved a b stock or refurbished unit.

Hi,

Shock, horror, flee for your lives!

Does the lack of plastic over the scribble strips make it sound worse than one that has the the scribble strips covered?

Didn’t think so!

Don't know how you got that I said that a Helix without plastic over the Scribble strips sounded worse than one without. Hmm. Maybe I should find soneone else that has one and see if they sound different. Who knows, maybe that is why someone may have returned it! Thanks for the idea!

My thoughts wss that maybe someone heard a fractal and decided on a different device. But I like your idea better as I find it hard to tell a sonic difference between these things,  at least over youtube.

Once again, thanks for the idea!

James

On 1/15/2023 at 12:15 AM, datacommando said:

Hi,

Here’s a link to a couple of videos from about 7 years back.

Have a listen to what Dale Wagler (Line 6 senior industrial designer) has to say about the Helix, from 1:36 to 2:40, on this video.

https://youtu.be/gQbQtPeD7NQ

Even better have a look at a Helix getting a real kicking on this one from 0:26

https://youtu.be/u38HcVMHZ-M

Hope this helps/makes sense.

I don’t mean the casing / pedal or the switches, just the plastic elements really. But honestly, can’t complain too much, mine has had a hard life and is still going strong!

On 1/15/2023 at 9:56 PM, jkellam24 said:

Don't know how you got that I said that a Helix without plastic over the Scribble strips sounded worse than one without. Hmm. Maybe I should find soneone else that has one and see if they sound different. Who knows, maybe that is why someone may have returned it! Thanks for the idea!

My thoughts wss that maybe someone heard a fractal and decided on a different device. But I like your idea better as I find it hard to tell a sonic difference between these things,  at least over youtube.

Once again, thanks for the idea!

James

Oh, no problem.

It’s just that you seemed a little perturbed that the missing plastic strip indicated some sort of major defect - you did state:

I am thinking I may have recieved a b stock or refurbished unit.”

Ye gods, you have been duped and sold a lemon. Nooooooooo!

Possibly one of those evil nasty Fractal using people stole the plastic just to screw up your enjoyment of Helix.

My point was - missing plastic doesn’t change the sonic output!

Duh!