Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best rock/metal preset with Helix - HOOOOOOOW?

kokopisti

Dear All, 

I'm a new Helix user, but I learned it, I can do effect chain, I know the recommended effect order. BUT.... I can't make a good rock/metal guitar sound.

I know that this topic is not so simple, but I'm just an amateur musician, I don't know almost nothing about frequencies and conscious effect using. 

Anyhow the sound is crunchy (in case empty effect chain as well)... I use premium guitars, like American Fender Strat Deluxe and Jeff Beck, Gibson LP Standard and Tribute, Ibanez RG 550 Genesis.... the final result is a confused, noisy sound.

Okay, rock and metal styles are so loud and distorted naturally, but there are too many distracting sounds that are amplified when I use distortion.

I watched different videos about the best presets, somebody made his sound in real time on the video. He clicked a few, he didn't set and modified almost anything, he didn't use so much effects in his chain... and he got a perfect sound. 

I can't find any, after weeks of setting. 

My question (maybe I can't ask well.... I'm not a "sound engineer"):

HOOOOW???

-As I mentioned my guitar sounds crunchy at empty effect chain as well. Sould I change my guitar cable?

- Do I need to use EQ anyhow? I read that I have cut off the disturbing frequencies below 100 Hz, above 3900 Hz. I've done with it. My guitar is also crunchy in an empty effect chain... almost nothing has changed. I used EQ, I pulled down all frequencies, I turned the tone potmeters to zero... almost nothing has changed, the crunchy clean sound stayed.

- Do I need to use just distortion simulator, or distortion + clean amp, or distorted amp, or distorted amp + cab simulator, or distortion + distorted amp? How many EQ do I need to use? Where is it in the effect chain?

- Should I use a clean amp simulator and distortion effect to get clean and distorted sound in one chain?

Etc, etc, etc... 

Could anyone give me an etalon global setting and preset/setting for Helix floor?

I would like to compare, why my presets are wrong.

PLEASE HELP! I WELCOME EVERY OPINION, SUPPORT, LINK, VIDEO WHAT CAN HELP ME.

Thank you very very much!!!

Well, you should be able to get a good starting point with one of the amps but I would say for metal, you will need a distortion unit. But, again, don't do that until you get a good sound with just an amp first. Just to confirm, you're not just using an amp only block but an amp cab block. If you're not, that's one reason. Also, try messing with the input  impedance. That can have an effect.

Another thought just occurred to me. Are you plugging your Helix into a mixer? If you are, make sure the inputs of the mixer do not have their phantom power engaged. The Helix does not like plugging into an input with phantom power on and your description is what I think describes the sound when it's on. Turn your phantom power off on the mixer if it's on. That's all I have for now. I'll post more if I can think of anything.

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2023 at 6:51 AM, kokopisti said:

Anyhow the sound is crunchy (in case empty effect chain as well)

On 1/16/2023 at 6:51 AM, kokopisti said:

-As I mentioned my guitar sounds crunchy at empty effect chain as well

Are you saying that with absolutely no blocks being used - amps, effects, nothing - you're getting distortion?  Guitar into empty Helix into whatever audio system you're plugging into?  Then you need to fall back to absolute basics - you're either radically overdriving the input into Helix- or the Helix output is slamming your audio device waaay too hard.

Start there - guitar>Helix empty preset>amp/spkr.  Choose a pickup on the guitar, roll the volume to about halfway - set the output volume on Helix to about 1/2 - if there's any input gain on your spkr, also about 1/2.  What happens?  If you're still distorted I don't know what to suggest - but if the signal is clean (tho quiet) then start changing variables. Get to where an empty preset is passing a clean signal, then start adding blocks.

I can probably offer some advice on getting nice rock distortion tones, been messing with that for a long time and now have some good results.

I can't understand the exact nature of the problem though. Is it that you just can't get good rock tones, or they're too noisy? Or something else is wrong?

On 1/16/2023 at 1:51 PM, kokopisti said:

Dear All, 

I'm a new Helix user, but I learned it, I can do effect chain, I know the recommended effect order. BUT.... I can't make a good rock/metal guitar sound.

I know that this topic is not so simple, but I'm just an amateur musician, I don't know almost nothing about frequencies and conscious effect using. 

Anyhow the sound is crunchy (in case empty effect chain as well)... I use premium guitars, like American Fender Strat Deluxe and Jeff Beck, Gibson LP Standard and Tribute, Ibanez RG 550 Genesis.... the final result is a confused, noisy sound.

Okay, rock and metal styles are so loud and distorted naturally, but there are too many distracting sounds that are amplified when I use distortion.

I watched different videos about the best presets, somebody made his sound in real time on the video. He clicked a few, he didn't set and modified almost anything, he didn't use so much effects in his chain... and he got a perfect sound. 

I can't find any, after weeks of setting. 

My question (maybe I can't ask well.... I'm not a "sound engineer"):

HOOOOW???

-As I mentioned my guitar sounds crunchy at empty effect chain as well. Sould I change my guitar cable?

- Do I need to use EQ anyhow? I read that I have cut off the disturbing frequencies below 100 Hz, above 3900 Hz. I've done with it. My guitar is also crunchy in an empty effect chain... almost nothing has changed. I used EQ, I pulled down all frequencies, I turned the tone potmeters to zero... almost nothing has changed, the crunchy clean sound stayed.

- Do I need to use just distortion simulator, or distortion + clean amp, or distorted amp, or distorted amp + cab simulator, or distortion + distorted amp? How many EQ do I need to use? Where is it in the effect chain?

- Should I use a clean amp simulator and distortion effect to get clean and distorted sound in one chain?

Etc, etc, etc... 

Could anyone give me an etalon global setting and preset/setting for Helix floor?

I would like to compare, why my presets are wrong.

PLEASE HELP! I WELCOME EVERY OPINION, SUPPORT, LINK, VIDEO WHAT CAN HELP ME.

Thank you very very much!!!

Hi,

You make a couple of interesting points that bother me,

“I'm a new Helix user…” and “I'm not a ‘sound engineer’ ”.

O.K. that’s a fair comment, but you have bought into quite an above average guitar processor, that can create the sort of fully produced sound you would encounter in the control room of a recording studio. There is going to be a “learning curve” to this stuff - you don’t need to be a pro sound engineer, but a little knowledge goes a long, long way with this stuff.

You also state:-

I use premium guitars, like American Fender Strat Deluxe and Jeff Beck, Gibson LP Standard and Tribute, Ibanez RG 550 Genesis”

Once again, O.K. - very nice range of guitars, but there is no mention of what you were playing these guitars through prior to the Helix Floor! Furthermore what are you playing through, or what monitoring system are you using now!

Nobody here can help with suggesting anything to help your signal chain if we don’t know how it is being monitored. We are not psychic!

Please help us to help you!

Hope this helps makes sense