Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Axe FX WAV IR's in a Helix...... Possible??

bettsaj

Hi, 

I'm new to Helix, literally only bought it on 17th January... But so far really happy with it. I play in a Floyd tribute and was looking on line for an IR of a WEM Starfinder cab. I found one that's a WAV file, but they say it's only available for use on an Axe FX. I was of the impression that WAV being a standard format could be used across different units.... Am I correct, or are WAV's created in a specific modeler only for use in that specific modeler??

Cheers in advance, Andy

On 1/20/2023 at 10:00 AM, bettsaj said:

Well, it's available on Amp Factory.... and clearly says "700+ IR’s in WAV format" https://www.theampfactory.com/downloads/category/irs/ir_axefx2/

I'm confused... 

You can't use .wav files in AxeFx. You always need to convert to .syx via CabLab. I would find odd that they are selling a package that needs to be converted, so Im guessing they are just using a wrong term for that product.

At this point I'd ask them if they are actually .wav or .syx.

I have many commercial iRs, multiformat, and those for AxeFx are all in .syx.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, bettsaj said:

I'm confused... 

Hi,

Well it looks to me that these guys have a contact form at the bottom of their website pages -drop them a line, as they are the folks who would know exactly what is in the pack and what they will load into.

https://www.theampfactory.com/downloads/category/irs/

Although, it looks like a lot of cash investment if you only need that one IR of the WEM Starfinder?

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

EDIT:

If you only require the Fane model - this guy has these.

https://giacomopasquali.store/products/uem-starfinder-412

Ah ha, Fane Acoustics, there’s a blast from my past - My late mother worked as the Personal Assistant and Secretary to one of the founding partners (Dennis Newbold - the NE part of the FANE name) back in the late 60s and early 70s. I recall her telling me about the visit of some very polite, but long haired, young men who came to check out some new speakers. She said they had a very strange name - Pink Floyd. 

Edited by datacommando
Added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It actually does say "700+ IR’s in WAV format" if you click the More info button

Has anyone used these? I kinda dipped my toe (maybe foot would be a better describer) into the IR rabbit hole a while ago and found some things I liked but not enough to continue, but the sales pitch has me intrigued.

I've just found a link to these WEM Fane IR's on the helix Facebook group

WEM Fane IR's

I've taken the plunge and got this pack. £17 all told so cheaper than the one on Amp Factory.  You get quite a few different formats. This is from the ReadMe in the zip file:

Formats*:
44.1 KHz → Kemper, Mooer, Hotone
48 KHz → Fractal, Line6, Atomic, Zoom, Yamaha, Nux
88.2 KHz →…
96 KHz → Boss, Headrush, Strymon, Two Notes

The Helix and Fractal formats are the same, and this zip file is all WAV's.

On 1/20/2023 at 12:53 PM, brue58ski said:

It actually does say "700+ IR’s in WAV format" if you click the More info button

Has anyone used these? I kinda dipped my toe (maybe foot would be a better describer) into the IR rabbit hole a while ago and found some things I liked but not enough to continue, but the sales pitch has me intrigued.

I just discovered that both Fractal and Helix use the same format 48KHz, so on the face of it the files on the Amp Factory site should work in the Helix.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:26 PM, bettsaj said:

I just discovered that both Fractal and Helix use the same format 48KHz, so on the face of it the files on the Amp Factory site should work in the Helix.

Then they arent selling Fractal's ready iRs, just misleading their customers. :)

File format and SysEx ID

Fractal Audio's modelers process IRs in MIDI System Exclusive format (.syx).

Capturing IRs creates WAVE files (.wav). WAVE files can be converted into SYX files using Cab-Lab, to be imported into the hardware. The editors for the 3rd generation processors can also directly import WAVE files and convert these on the fly into SYX format.

When using Cab-Lab to convert WAV files to UltraRes resolution, and when using IR Capture to create IRs, two files are created: an IR file (.ir) and a SYX file (.syx). The .IR file is raw IR data which can be imported into Cab-Lab for mixing purposes. Cab-Lab is the only application that can handle .IR files.

After conversion from WAVE to SYX, IRs have a sysex ID baked in. They are device-specific. Each amp modeler from FAS has a different sysex ID. This means that a generated SYX file can't be used by every FAS processor.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 6:26 AM, bettsaj said:

I just wanted peoples opinions of how good they thought they were.

On 1/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, PierM said:

Then they arent selling Fractal's ready iRs, just misleading their customers. :)

Hi,

I think they are creating confusion for buyers by showing 3 different packs available, but one does specifically state:

”ULTIMATE BigBOX IR collection (HD-Wav & AxeFx ready)”

It also has this bullet point in the description - 

• AxeFX freindly too in ULTRARES HD files. ready to load and go (Including Spreadsheets/presets)

You could spend a lifetime checking out millions of IR options that are available - I find it easier to start with what is in the Helix and sculpt the tone to what I need.

• Upvote 1

On 1/19/2023 at 3:48 PM, bettsaj said:

Hi, 

I'm new to Helix, literally only bought it on 17th January... But so far really happy with it. I play in a Floyd tribute and was looking on line for an IR of a WEM Starfinder cab. I found one that's a WAV file, but they say it's only available for use on an Axe FX. I was of the impression that WAV being a standard format could be used across different units.... Am I correct, or are WAV's created in a specific modeler only for use in that specific modeler??

Cheers in advance, Andy

Andy, off topic sorry, but as i saw you play in a Floyd tribute, I was interested to know how you've planned your chain in your presets for that because my next project is to create some floyd presets on my Helix floor. I've really got into Floyd in a much bigger way recently so I'm keen to try and recreate some of Dave's tones using my Strat as a starting point. I know Dave used the Hiwatt and a bunch of effects but I'm guessing you're a pro on setting this all up?

Cheers

Your Strat, Hiwatt and the Ubiquitous Vibe (a Univibe). Add some reverb, I'm not at home so i can't remember the settings. That's the starting point for Breathe. Use this setup up for a starting point on Dark Side Of The Moon. I'm pretty sure he used a Fuzz Face on that album. Use that for the Time solo.

On 1/24/2023 at 4:12 PM, brue58ski said:

Your Strat, Hiwatt and the Ubiquitous Vibe (a Univibe). Add some reverb, I'm not at home so i can't remember the settings. That's the starting point for Breathe. Use this setup up for a starting point on Dark Side Of The Moon. I'm pretty sure he used a Fuzz Face on that album. Use that for the Time solo.

Excellent.. and what is the effect he's using on the comfortably numb solo, is that a chorus or a phaser? Have you got an actual chain as an example I can try?

On 1/24/2023 at 1:34 PM, Paulzx said:

Andy, off topic sorry, but as i saw you play in a Floyd tribute, I was interested to know how you've planned your chain in your presets for that because my next project is to create some floyd presets on my Helix floor. I've really got into Floyd in a much bigger way recently so I'm keen to try and recreate some of Dave's tones using my Strat as a starting point. I know Dave used the Hiwatt and a bunch of effects but I'm guessing you're a pro on setting this all up?

Cheers

A pro!!!! Not on the helix, but with the real thing maybe a little knowledgeable. I've bought a Gilmour preset pack just to get a flavour as to how Helix aficionados do it, and in all honesty the signal chain in the preset pack I've got I think is a bit bloated. A lot of the time the amount of fx he used was minimal, BUT it really depends on the era. early to mid 70's literally a Wah (with the reverse wah switch), volume pedal, Compressor, a powerboost, a fuzzface, and a binson echo, Uni-Vibe into 2 Hiwatt DR103, into 2 WEM Starfinder 4x12s, and also a Lesley rotary speaker. But the preset pack has all manner of reverbs, and EQ going on which I never did with my big rack I've just sold. For Animals era, you have to include an Electric Mistress, a big muff and a digital delay. From 77 onwards he used an MXR digital delay. So the FX would be something along the lines of Volume pedal, Wah (with the reverse wah switch), compressor, Digital delay, electric mistress, big muff, powerboost, Animals era he ran the mistress together with the rotary speaker (by this time a Yamaha) so the end result is a watery sound.

Obviously delay is key for Gilmour, don't be afraid to run 2 delays in series....... He did. Run Like Hell was 2 digital delays in series, one delay feeding into another. It's the only way you'll get that sound right. The preset pack I bought has this song set up differently.... with two delays in parallel which isn't correct but sounds OK as you get a better stereo image.

I intend to use the Preset pack I bought purely as a start, but I am going to alter and change some bits. Check out gilmourish.com it's a great resource... but beware even that site isn't 100% accurate. 

Find attached a present from me to the group....... an IR of the Hiwatt DR103 and the WEM Starfinder...... Don't tell ssshhhhhhhhhhhh

On 1/24/2023 at 5:36 PM, Paulzx said:

Excellent.. and what is the effect he's using on the comfortably numb solo, is that a chorus or a phaser? Have you got an actual chain as an example I can try?

Numb was basically Colorsound Powerboost into a rams head big muff, a bit of digital delay and electric mistress then into the hiwatts and wems, and also the Yamaha rotary... Quite simple really

On 2/1/2023 at 1:42 PM, bettsaj said:

Also, check out this page... It lists all the delay settings for nearly all of Gilmours guitar parts, including different versions.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/David_Gilmour_Delay Time Library.html#:~:text=DELAY SETTINGS - Most of the,time of around 377-380ms.

Great stuff thanks a lot, I'll check out the sites too. For comfortably numb complete track then, what would your Helix chain be because obviously we don't have exact models of all of the gear you mentioned.

So it's an interesting journey for you then, you've decided to move on your old gear and go with the Helix for your pink floyd stuff? Was that just a practical transporting decision?

Which band do you play in and where do you play? I've been on the lookout for a floyd tribute band to go and see around the London area.