Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Midi commands in factory presets?

strugs

OK - I am new to the world of midi, but I just bought a midi controlled amp and an HX Effects rig.  

I connected my midi cable between the amp and the HX Effects unit (factory reset prior to doing anything), and when I was flipping through HXFX presets, most if not all of them changed channels, reverb, etc on my amp.   Is this normal?  

Probably, it's actually changing PRESETS because Global Settings>MIDI/Tap>MIDI PC Tx is set to ON.

That causes the HXFX to send it's default PC (Program Change) # to the amp.

It helps when asking questions to provide things like amp make/model, then we can better explain proper usage of MIDI.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

Yeah that makes sense.  RIght after I did the factory reset on my HXFX (I bought it used), I enabled MIDI PC Tx to “on” thinking that I had to do that for Midi to work as an amp controller.

My amp is a Mesa Triple Crown That allows MIDI control of channel, reverb, effects loop, and solo boost.  Ideally, I would like to set the HXFX to have a few presets which would switch the amp to the appropriate channel and effects/reverb, then have each preset have a snapshot assigned to a button so that I could kick on the amp’s solo boost and a delay from the HXFX.  Being new to the concept of MIDI I am not even sure what my first steps should be, but It sounds like i should turn off that MIDI PC Tx option…

Yes, turn OFF MIDI PC Tx.

If you want the HXFX to select the appropriate amp channel, in CommandCenter use the first Instant Command (the Lightning bolt).

Since preset changing is already happening, that tells you that the appropriate MIDI Channel (HXFX default is Channel 1) is already selected on the TC.

ATTENTION:

In order to prevent the magic smoke escaping from your very expensive amp, READ THE AMP'S MANUAL SECTION ON USING MIDI!

Starting with this:

MESA FTSW NOTE: DO NOT connect any Midi devices to the Midi INPUT jack when using the MESA FT.SW. jack!

Then read the HXFX Manual section on using CommandCenter.

The short story is that if you want to load a preset on the TC when the HXFX preset LOADS, use the Instant Command for Bank/PC.

Instant Commands execute on Preset Load and on Snapshot Change. Each Snapshot must have each IC and FS configured individually or that default to their default settings. See below for gotchas.

When selecting presets you can ignore the BANK settings unless you want to switch Banks on the TC. Just set the Program (PC)#.

The amp should start up in Bank 1.

To load a Preset in the other bank requires that the IC (Instant Command) sends Bank CC#0 with a Value of 0 for Bank 1 or 1 for Bank 2, plus the PC#.

Leave Bank CC#32 OFF.

A simple preset change within the currently selected TC Bank requires only a PC# (both Bank CCs OFF), and the amp SHOULD stay in that Bank until you change the Bank or reboot.

The manual is not clear on that, but that's how MOST multi-bank devices work.

If you want to turn ON/OFF an effect within a TC Preset and be able to toggle it when playing, assign its MIDI CC# to a TOGGLING CC on an HXFX Footswitch.

This will cause the FS to behave like a FS on the Mesa FS Controller.

The default Value (DIM) will be sent when the HXFX preset loads. This can be ON (probably 127) or OFF (probably 0). RTM!

It will toggle on subsequent presses.

It will also re-send on SS (Snapshot) changes depending upon the value of that CC# sent last.

Example - SS1 loads by default at Preset Load. The FS sends CC#2 with a DIM Value of 0.

SS2 sends the same value. SS1 does NOT resend value 0.

BUT - if SS2 sends CC#2 LIT value of 127, then SS1 WILL resend CC#2 DIM Value 0.

There's lots of little rules like that when using CommandCenter and unfortunately, the manual is not very clear about them.

Feel free to come back if you get confused, but RTM!

ATTENTION! In case you missed it, RTM for your TC or risk damaging your amp! Or losing your mind trying to figure out why nothing works right.

Head exploding yet? Have fun!

• Thanks 1

Oh yeah there is definitely some head explosions going on but I really appreciate your advice, as many of your points made sense out of some concepts that I have not been able to grasp.

I will turn off the MIDI PC Tx and do some playing around.   I appreciate your input, but I will probably be back after reading the HXFX manual (I have already been through the TC3 manual 3 times).  

Thanks again.

On 1/24/2023 at 3:29 AM, roryburns said:
  1. Launch Gig Performer, then click on the Connections View icon (circled in blue) to enter Connections View: ...
  2. Choose a plugin. ...
  3. Give your plugin a custom name. ...
  4. Set the audio output. ...
  5. Set the MIDI input and play your sound.

Wrong thread???

• Upvote 1

Hey RD2RK,

You have helped me create my first successful preset with an amp channel assigned to it.   Thanks a lot.

One thing I was hoping you could help me with:   I would like to assign a footswitch on the HXFX for the "solo boost" function of the amp.   I was able to do this but the solo always defaults to "on" when I select the preset.   I can toggle it on or off, but I would rather it default to off.   I changed the MIDI CC LIT value to zero but now when I change to that preset, the solo button does not turn the solo feature on. Any ideas?   Thanks again!

This could be a timing thing, but try this.

If the TC Preset is SAVED with the Boost ON, and the HXFX FS is SAVED with DIM = 0; LIT = 127, then the boost should turn OFF and the FS should be ready to send 127 to turn it ON. Check to see if the TC's boost is SAVED ON, then see that the HXFX FS is configured DIM = 0; LIT = 127.

If that doesn't work, save the TC preset with the boost OFF, but leave the HXFX FS DIM = 0; LIT = 127.

Sending OFF to an effect that is already OFF should do nothing, but if it is a timing issue (the TC preset loads but the message from the HXFX doesn't get enough time to process), you still get the boost OFF and the HXFX FS ready to send ON when there's no timing issue.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:23 PM, rd2rk said:

If that doesn't work, save the TC preset with the boost OFF, but leave the HXFX FS DIM = 0; LIT = 127.

Sending OFF to an effect that is already OFF should do nothing, but if it is a timing issue (the TC preset loads but the message from the HXFX doesn't get enough time to process), you still get the boost OFF and the HXFX FS ready to send ON when there's no timing issue.

This worked!   Many thanks dude!