Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DSL20C Preamp bypass

IndianRunner

POD Go fresh out the box and am trying to check out the various amp configurations with a DSL20 combo. What I'd expect to be able to do is completely bypass the entire preamp section of the amp and strictly use the PG for the preamp/amp and cab to see their "uncolored" sound. So far I've only been able to get any audio by hitting the front of the preamp, tried using the amp's return line with the FX loop switched on but plugging the guitar into the PG, and SENDING out the the RETURN on the amp yields zero audio. Rather than blow tubes by doing something incorrect, can anyone advise on how to plug guitar into PG then send total PG effects to the DSL20C amp section and bypass the entire preamp section?

I'm sure this is possible I just haven't found anything that completely removes the amp's preamp.

Thanks guys!

On 1/24/2023 at 7:09 PM, IndianRunner said:

POD Go fresh out the box and am trying to check out the various amp configurations with a DSL20 combo. What I'd expect to be able to do is completely bypass the entire preamp section of the amp and strictly use the PG for the preamp/amp and cab to see their "uncolored" sound. So far I've only been able to get any audio by hitting the front of the preamp, tried using the amp's return line with the FX loop switched on but plugging the guitar into the PG, and SENDING out the the RETURN on the amp yields zero audio. Rather than blow tubes by doing something incorrect, can anyone advise on how to plug guitar into PG then send total PG effects to the DSL20C amp section and bypass the entire preamp section?

I'm sure this is possible I just haven't found anything that completely removes the amp's preamp.

Thanks guys!

I strongly recommend you have a good read of the manual & watch the Line 6 series of quick vids first.  Although Pod Go is reasonably intuitive, there's still a lot that isn't obvious.  Also ensure you are on the latest firmware - but only update through Pod Go Edit.  Latest version is v1.40, but follow the Line 6 instructions here: 

To by-pass the pre-amp stage of your amp, simply plug Pod Go 'main out' into the FX return only. The real speaker of a combo will still colour the Pod Go tone so you might prefer the tone without the cab model - easiest way is to just turn the cab model in a patch off.  Don't use the Amp Out - it isn't what you think it is:

AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your
guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in
mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/
IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR
speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar
amp.

• Like 1

Thank you sir!

I originally was using send/returns and found that didn't work, so I found a YouTube video showing I needed to use the front end of the amp in the mix, which didn't make sense as running a line into the front end of the amp doesn't make sense when bypassing the preamp in the first place. Works though, and even though the main out is in the channel in on the amp. 

I did all the rest, initial backup, firmware update etc. As for the rest, I'm going through and populating the user presets with the amp models I want. I basically made 3 blank templates, pulling all the blocks I don't use like loop, amp cab etc. freeing up the blocks I'll be using with specific amps.

I'm sure I'll be reconfiguring this thing for months as I vet out what it is I want. There's more than 3 ways to do one thing on these so I'm going through trial and error to find out the setup I'll use most. I was thinking after taking all the models I need I'd wipe the factory and call that the home setup and use the user settings for live. Not sure yet.

I did pull all the cab models from the templates as I didn't find one that sounded any good, sounded like they compressed the signal too much when going back into the combo. I haven't had the chance to hear what it sounds like without a cab model in the mixer,