Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Tuner: 432hz?

markwesse

BAHA...well who would have thought??? lol...lol...
The problem with using too many synths over the years and looking for master tune :-\

Never had this issue with percussion...tunebot

Well at least I had a lesson in humility...I asked the question without even looking...was using native and assumed way too much and did a net search first...which had a heap of whining about Variax and pitch shifting

BTW the offset feature is great; equal temperament and intonation are at odds and being able to flatten B and G by a registered amount is brilliant (as well as my classical has intonation that needs G quite a lot flatter...but thats the beauty; imperfection...just not distraction

Cheers @datacommando

On 1/26/2023 at 2:45 AM, ricstudioc said:

*chuckle*  Seem to recall not too long ago people were saying the tuner was a weak spot on the Helix.

Take that, doubters!

'People' are idiots.

It's a tuner. It either works or it doesn't.

The weak point of the Helix is it doesn't come with a sun roof.

On 1/26/2023 at 1:19 AM, markwesse said:

BTW the offset feature is great; equal temperament and intonation are at odds and being able to flatten B and G by a registered amount is brilliant (as well as my classical has intonation that needs G quite a lot flatter...but thats the beauty; imperfection...just not distraction

Oh, yes, sweetened tunings - for when you’re in that James Taylor mode. I have the sweet options in my Peterson, I find them very handy for my autoharp.

;-)

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:17 AM, somebodyelse said:

It's a tuner. It either works or it doesn't.

Hmm… yep, if it doesn’t work you can always use a tuning fork, and when it works it can still be completely out of tune if the reference and offset are shifted.

IIRC, a guy on here complained about his tunings being way off - he was advised to check the offsets, and what do you know ? They had been screwed up.

Oops! There you go, even when working they can be wrong.

On 1/25/2023 at 7:19 PM, markwesse said:

BAHA...well who would have thought??? lol...lol...
The problem with using too many synths over the years and looking for master tune :-\

Never had this issue with percussion...tunebot...

... BTW the offset feature is great;

On a synth you are tuning the instrument... you don't tune the Helix, it just includes a tuner. 

RE: The Offsets... that's a great feature. The ability to store more than one would be even better :)

On 1/25/2023 at 8:45 PM, ricstudioc said:

*chuckle*  Seem to recall not too long ago people were saying the tuner was a weak spot on the Helix.

Take that, doubters!

In fairness, the original Helix had very slow graphics. The tuner was fine, but the graphics were jumpy and/or slow to respond making it difficult to tune. Somewhere around the 2.6 update the graphics (response) got a major overhaul which improved the tuner substantially. In "Strobe Mode", I find the Helix equal to my Peterson(s). 

On 1/27/2023 at 12:03 AM, codamedia said:

On a synth you are tuning the instrument... you don't tune the Helix, it just includes a tuner. 

Sure but its more like an instrument in my context...and to be fair it does have a lot of pitch talk

Inputs

Mic > Mic, Acoustic via irig > Aux, elect/variax > elect

Outs

FOH Guitar L&R

FOH Synth (keys and midiguitar midi multiplex)

FOH vocals 

FOH Loops (at times)

Add to that the usb IO routed to Ableton for all the stuff

Helix is faaar beyond an fx pedal...sure it includes a tuner but I find it hard no to think of it as a super instrument :-)

Helix is the first real go at synergy

Thanks all of you for not flaming me for my ADHD behaviour :0