Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX EDIT / Helix control protocol documentation

nick83ola

Hi,

I am developing an app to control my HX Stomp on my tablet (android)

There's any documentation regarding the protocol used by hx edit to for example:

• download/restore a backup/setlist
  • upload an ir file
  • get the parameters and informations?

Is any of this accessible via midi? (maybe with a syshex message?)

In another thread a Line6 developer was talking about the fbv protocol...

If anyone wants to help also...

Cheers,

Nick

there was this other topic by a user

On 8/7/2020 at 5:01 PM, StarAurryon said:

Hello Line6 Team,

I am currently writing an open source software (LGPLv2) to use the podhd 500x under Linux in a similar manner as "POD HD 500X edit". Would it be possible to have the protocol data sheet to complete my implementation?

I am currently supporting basic features, i.e. reading and writing pedals settings, but I am lacking some understanding of the whole protocol.

Thanks in advance,

Aurryon

The code https://github.com/StarAurryon/lpedit

Note: Protocol reverse engineering is perfectly legal if we listen to the usb port, which is what I am doing. As a EU citizen I would also be allowed to reverse the assembly in the name of interoperability: which I am not doing now as it is harder

I seriously doubt they would be open to such a thing if for no other reason than their potential liability should a piece of third party software damage the functionality of a Helix unit from a bug in that software.  Additionally it's entirely possible those control protocols can change, and have historically changed, with any release of firmware.  Since they have no control over testing your software for compatibility with a design change there's a LOT of risk in a 3rd party software app breaking a new firmware update.

I know there have been a number of attempts in the past to dissect the FBV protocol, none of which have ended up with much success.  And I suspect the protocol being used on the Helix if probably similar in that it's some form of byte stream function and response, but there's a LOT more complexity in the control interactions with the Helix than what FBV ever had to do.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 3:31 PM, nick83ola said:

Hi,

There's any documentation regarding the protocol used by hx edit to for example:

• upload an ir file

Cheers,

Nick

I wonder if you solved your problem? Nice post https://line6.com/support/topic/65674-hx-edit-helix-control-protocol-documentation/

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2023 at 3:31 PM, nick83ola said:

Hi,

• upload an ir file

I've already run out of ideas. I even tried to order an essay on the subject at https://essays.edubirdie.com/buy-essay thinking they might find something. 

Cheers,

Nick

I highly doubt that they allow such a thing, as already said it is not in their interest to give access to the protocol. So far, as far as I am concerned, the only chance is to hack the protocol itself, but this could damage the device. So it's probably not possible to do what you have in mind, which is a pity really.  

• 3 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 2:31 PM, nick83ola said:

Hi,

• upload an ir file

I was initially storing my files, including documents and protocols in mars in virgo but I am thinking about moving them elsewhere.

Cheers,

Nick

It is highly unlikely that they would consider this proposal due to the potential liability they may face if any third-party software affects the functionality of a Helix unit. Plus, keep in mind that control protocols can be subject to change, and have been known to change in the past with firmware updates!