Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Holy Jeebus... When Pod Go explodes in your face...! (kinda, not really)

grdGo33

Jesus...!  Pod Go just exploded in my face.  I was playing with Snapshots, basically had 4 snapshots based on the Revv Red channel, 1-3 were very heavy distortion, some metal and lead tones, and the 4th had a clean tone.  So basically 0 distortion and pumped up volumes on the IR, reverb, etc., to get similar volume between snapshots.  Once I get something half decent, saved, and then...

I had the misfortune to switch back to snapshot 1 and it literally exploded in my face.  The volume literally jumped from 3 to 100 for a sec...!  Almost gave me a heart attack...  That volume jump was CRAZY LOUD...!!!   My ears are still ringing... 

So that's how it is huh?  PGO doesn't change all the snapshot parameters at once, it does it sequentially and during that time, you can get all sorts of nonsense happening as it's switching snapshots?  Any advice or rules as to avoid this occurring again?  I'm guessing it might be far worse depending on individual settings or amps... The more variation in parameter settings the bigger the 'in between' garbage can be...  

Really surprised I've never seen this brought up in the past.  It's a pretty darn big issue with snapshots...  I mean, the snapshots are a workaround for the gap when switching patches, but they've got their limitative set of shortcomings also... That's a pretty big one, as snaphots aren't really as seamless as they should, and yeah honestly, that could damage speakers and the such.  Not to mention if it happened live for some reason..!

(and to be clear, none of the snapshots were actually loud, just the in-between non-existent snapshot settings were incredibly loud..)

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:02 PM, grdGo33 said:

Jesus...!  Pod Go just exploded in my face.  I was playing with Snapshots, basically had 4 snapshots based on the Revv Red channel, 1-3 were very heavy distortion, some metal and lead tones, and the 4th had a clean tone.  So basically 0 distortion and pumped up volumes on the IR, reverb, etc., to get similar volume between snapshots.  Once I get something half decent, saved, and then...

I had the misfortune to switch back to snapshot 1 and it literally exploded in my face.  The volume literally jumped from 3 to 100 for a sec...!  Almost gave me a heart attack...  That volume jump was CRAZY LOUD...!!!   My ears are still ringing... 

So that's how it is huh?  PGO doesn't change all the snapshot parameters at once, it does it sequentially and during that time, you can get all sorts of nonsense happening as it's switching snapshots?  Any advice or rules as to avoid this occurring again?  I'm guessing it might be far worse depending on individual settings or amps... The more variation in parameter settings the bigger the 'in between' garbage can be...  

Really surprised I've never seen this brought up in the past.  It's a pretty darn big issue with snapshots...  I mean, the snapshots are a workaround for the gap when switching patches, but they've got their limitative set of shortcomings also... That's a pretty big one, as snaphots aren't really as seamless as they should, and yeah honestly, that could damage speakers and the such.  Not to mention if it happened live for some reason..!

(and to be clear, none of the snapshots were actually loud, just the in-between non-existent snapshot settings were incredibly loud..)

Interesting - I've not come across this before with snaphots & I'm curious to see whats happening & if it behaves the same in my Pod Go.  Would you be able to post the patch on Custom Tone with a link or send it to me?  

One other thing...I'd strongly suggest you change the title of your post as it reads that Pod Go physically exploded! 

• grdGo33 changed the title to Holy Jeebus... When Pod Go explodes in your face...! (kinda, not really)

Hehe ok edited!  ;)

I definitely removed the offending snapshot on the spot.  But it's fairly easy to reproduce I believe;

1) create a patch with a clean-ish amp, putting the drive & Master volume low to get a clean sound, Ch.volume high to offset.

2) create a snapshot where

a) turns on distortion and compression pedal, as well as reverb/delay   

b) boost the distortion & compression pedals's volume to hit the amp hard

c) max the amp's drive & master volume, reduce ch.volume to offset

d) change lots of pedal parameters, as to have many snapshot parameters changed with snapshot

3) reduce your physical pod go volume, cover your ears, play a power chord, switch snapshot

like I said, pretty sure Go changes the settings sequentially, and actually, thinking about it, the more snapshot parameters you have configured, the more this switching will take time, and the greater the chance to get severe volume discrepancy.   The snapshot patch I had had plenty of snapshot settings; probably 30ish as it really went from clean to dirty and also from slight 'room' reverb/delay to epic and grandiose overwhelmingly awesome reverb/delay.

[edit] So to minimize this sound explosion; don't mess with volume levels with snapshots.. ex; attempting to hit amp hard & boost amp drive bit dangerous

[edit2] reworked test case