Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to wire HXFX with Trio+ and use amp effects loop?

Voxen

Hi!

I have a HX Effects wired with 4 cables method to my Boss Nextone Artist and all is working fine for effects loop.

But today I purchased a Trio+ and I am completely lost on how to wire the all thing while keeping the effects loop with the amp.

Could anyone help me with this?

Thanks a lot!

Gil

On 1/29/2023 at 7:02 AM, Voxen said:

Could anyone help me with this?

Yeah - Line 6 helped by putting this info in the HX Effects 3.0 Owner’s Manual - Page 8 Rear Panel

SENDS/RETURNS 1-2 These 1/4" ins and outs can be used as FX loops for inserting external stompboxes between specific blocks in the HX Effects device or as inputs and outputs for running 4-Cable Method rigs.”

Page 46 - Global Settings > Ins/Outs

Send/Retrn1 
Send/Retrn2

Choose “Inst[rument]” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for stompboxes; choose “Line” when using a Send/Return pair as an FX loop for line-level rack processors.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Voxen said:

Thank you very much I’ll try this.

Hi again,

I knew that this had been covered previously in these threads - this was for Trio+ with Helix, but I don't think you don't have enough Send/Returns for 4 cable use, even using the Trio FX Loop, unless you can see another option.

See the diagrams supplied by @a2dconverterguy posted 4th July 2016 - and modify your own set up to suit.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
EDIT

Thanks datacommando!

I'm almost there but there is still something wrong.

Here is my wiring:

HXFX Send 1 -> Amp In

Amp Send -> HXFX Return 1

HXFX Output Mono -> Amp Return

Trio+ Send -> HXFX Return 2

HXFX Send 2 -> Trio+ Return

Guitar -> Trio+ Guitar In

That way I can hear the guitar and get HX effects running, I can also record on Trio+ looper... but I get no drums playback in the amp.

If I change HXFX Send 1 -> Amp In for Trio+ Amp -> Amp In, then I can hear the drums but no more the guitar...

On 1/29/2023 at 6:54 PM, Voxen said:

I'm almost there but there is still something wrong.

Hi,

I should point out that I don’t own a Trio+, or the HXFX, I have the Helix floor, so I am only going on what I have gleaned from previous posts about hooking up a Trio+. I was initially following on from the theory, that because you have 2 Send and Return blocks in the HX Effects, you could simply hook up the Trio to the second FX Loop as suggested by @rd2rk in the earlier post above.

The thing is, with the way you are working using the 4CM, this means that you only have one more SEND/RETURN pair of jack sockets available. With the Trio+ everything is mono, unless you have headphones connected to it, but another really obvious thing about it is - it needs to have a clean guitar signal directly into the box before any other processing. This is essential to be able to have the Trio “learn” what you’re playing (see the Trio+ manual), therefore you really need to connect your guitar into the DigiTech box and then tap the signal coming out of it back into the HXFX. 

In the previous post I linked back to a thread where people were connecting to a full Helix with onboard amp modelling, whereas, you need to break out to an external amp. In that thread there are a couple of links to CustomTone presets that may be worth investigating. Particularly the post from @deadlocked where he mentions some of the quirks of setting the Trio to work with the Variax. You could try downloading his preset and strip out the amp/cab blocks and further modify it to see if you can get it to function with your stuff. If you cannot get a Helix preset to load into HX Edit, because you have to connect it to you HXFX, you can download the 15 day free trial of Helix Native and us that as a file chopper to strip out the unnecessary blocks.

Sorry, that’s about all I can suggest - unless you have a small mixer, which might allow you access to more routing options than you currently have with the HXFX onboard connections. It could still end up with wiring like a mad woman’s knitting!

Good luck.