Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Hank Marvin/ Shadows setting up for.

neil1958

Hi all

I am new to using modellers and have just purchased the hx stomp!

Could anybody help with setting up the amp and cab sim for the above music style please?

I have been playing about with all the vox models and always seem to get a thin sound compared to going through my pedal board and amp.

I dont need any help with echo settings, just the amp and cab.

I am playing through a set of presonus studio monitors direct from a mixing desk, all my signal path impeadances are set up correctly.

I have heard so many excellent online recordings of people demoing the stomp and thats the main reason I purchased one, and downsizing off course lol.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am sure I am doing something wrong in the setup.

Many Thanks

Neil Clarkson 

Since you are new here you may not have yet come across the Customtone preset sharing site (see link at top of this page). Search for Shadows tones compatible with the HX Stomp.

These are user created tones posted directly and not moderated in any way so you will undoubtedly find some that sound way off to you. There are a lot of reasons for that. But you should also find some that can give you hints about the setup you’re looking for.

Also, you say that all your signal path impedances are set up correctly. Just for kicks, can you elaborate on that? I ask because level mismatches are a common cause of the symptoms you describe. Describe the ins and outs you are using, and the level you have set for each (line, amp, mic,…).

• Upvote 1

Have to ask, are you comparing your mic'd up amp and pedal board through the monitors with the modelling? If not its an apples and oranges comparison. The amp in the room (with you) will always sound bigger, better, etc.....

• Upvote 1

On 1/31/2023 at 3:56 PM, neil1958 said:

I am playing through a set of presonus studio monitors direct from a mixing desk, all my signal path impeadances are set up correctly.

This is kind of an odd statement since impedance is very different from signal level, which is really what  you need to have working optimally.  The key there is to have your amp model channel volume or output block producing the same or close to the same signal level with the other blocks in your signal chain on or off.  In essence you want to avoid having your signal chain level creep higher as you add other blocks.  You also want to keep your signal chain level at a moderate range to allow for some headroom.  Using the built in signal level meter I usually shoot for around 80%.

As others have stated you can't really compare two different styles of output and expect them to be exactly the same because they're not even engineered to be the same.  Another very key thing to be aware of is what cab model and mic model you're using on your signal chain with the amp because those things really matter when it comes to the ultimate tone you get.  The default setting for the Vox amp may not be the best for the tone you want.

My primary advice to someone in your position is to go onto YouTube and look up Jason Sadites postings.  He's the best at helping new people get the most out of their units and helping you understand the best ways to maximize your presets.

On 1/31/2023 at 8:56 PM, neil1958 said:

Hi all

I am new to using modellers and have just purchased the hx stomp!

Could anybody help with setting up the amp and cab sim for the above music style please?

I have been playing about with all the vox models and always seem to get a thin sound compared to going through my pedal board and amp.

I dont need any help with echo settings, just the amp and cab.

I have heard so many excellent online recordings of people demoing the stomp and thats the main reason I purchased one, and downsizing off course lol.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am sure I am doing something wrong in the setup.

Many Thanks

Neil Clarkson 

Hiya Neil,

Best place to try is https://charliehall.proboards.com/

I'm a member there, as well, and have seen a couple of threads there with good advice.

Also, try the Matchless models.

Assuming you've got the latest updates, in the cab setting, use a U47/67/87 condenser mic, set 12" away towards the edge of the speaker. Fine tune to suit.

Set the Low cut to around 100Hz and High Cut to around 5-8kHz.

Amp models set as you'd set the real thing, as a starting point. Fine tune from there.

Cheers.

EDIT: I've attached a zip with a couple of presets to have a look at. I did these on a Helix, with a '54 reissue (A3 pickups), so they may need a little tweek for your guitar. Also, because I used a Helix, they may be a bit too... elaborate for your unit?

Any problems or questions... anything... send me a PM and we can take it from there. I've assumed you're already a HBM expert, perhaps not so familiar with the Helix 'ways', yet?

HBM Presets.zip

On 1/31/2023 at 8:56 PM, neil1958 said:

Hi,

You could try grabbing a couple of these available from CustomTone - free. At least you will be able to see what other folk are using to emulate this stuff.

https://line6.com/customtone/search/?submitted=1&family=hx_stomp&search_term=Shadows

Note: one of the contributors has a website where he is selling a bunch of “Shadows” stlye presets for £4

https://tonegarage.co.uk/product/the-shadows-for-line-6-helix/

He also has a link to a demo on YouTube - I didn’t check it out but here it is.

Hope this helps/makes sense.