Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix setup help

jpaulduplantis

I thought I posted this request already but not sure if it went through. I am looking for help setting up my Helix pedal with my Harbinger PA / Subwoofer. I have been doing the research and experimenting but would like to pay someone to help get the most out of the setup for me. Looking to optimize the overall quality of sound and plugin options. 

Are there resources in this forum to help with this? Or direct me to somewhere else to help?

On 2/1/2023 at 3:20 PM, jpaulduplantis said:

I thought I posted this request already but not sure if it went through. I am looking for help setting up my Helix pedal with my Harbinger PA / Subwoofer. I have been doing the research and experimenting but would like to pay someone to help get the most out of the setup for me. Looking to optimize the overall quality of sound and plugin options. 

Are there resources in this forum to help with this? Or direct me to somewhere else to help?

Start by posting this in the Helix forum... the Lounge is where questions go to die. Most won't even be seen, nevermind answered.

I think we would need to know how you're trying to apply this, whether it's through a PA or are you envisioning going direct from your Helix.  Typically something like that is connected to the outputs of the PA and provides low frequency emphasis across all channels that include frequencies below a certain range such as 125 Hz.  It then serves as a crossover to the main PA speakers for all frequencies above that.  Unless you're playing bass you're probably limited in frequencies that low.

Going direct to the sub from the Helix wouldn't be any different other than you'd want to send it as a Line level signal and just have it do the same as if you were a PA mixing board and forward all frequencies above that level to whatever other device you're using for the full range of frequencies.  Again, unless it's a bass guitar you won't get much of anything from a typical guitar setup.  Many soundmen often use a high pass filter set to 125  or 150 Hz on any channels other than bass, keyboards, kick drum and maybe toms so the sub doesn't muddy things up like guitars, snares or voices trying to accentuate those low frequencies.

I did notice you mentioned plugins so if you're sending it from a DAW that includes other instruments such as a synth, you'd want to follow the same conventions as a mixing board and sen it to the sub then have the sub send it to the main speakers.