Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

The Tuner still sucks. Any new advice?

mastodonrules

I do not mean to kick a dead horse but I can't stand using the tuner on the helix. I lost my boss tuner and I just got a new guitar so I figure I will use the helix tuner to adjust my intonation. What a mistake and horrible experience that was. I knew it was not that great years ago but surely after all the updates, I figured it would fine. Not a chance. I set the input to just guitar I went over all the settings and have looked at the forums. It just does not seem to be a good tuner at all. If any one has any advice on how to make it work better I am all ears but it just seems to be one of those things.

I use the strobe mode and it works perfectly well.  I hate to be that guy, but this has to be user error.  I do have a helix floor, so maybe if you have a stomp it's different?  I doubt it, but trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 7:57 PM, toddkc said:

I use the strobe mode and it works perfectly well.  I hate to be that guy, but this has to be user error.  I do have a helix floor, so maybe if you have a stomp it's different?  I doubt it, but trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here.

I am actually using the Helix floor. Literally the 3rd one I have had. Never used the tuner much. I have always had either a polytune or my old Boss tuner. However I was using the fine tuning setting, and did not realize I was getting a lot of electrical noise from my computer and it was bugging up my signal. So yeah, user error.    : ).  It happens.

On 2/4/2023 at 11:46 PM, mastodonrules said:

However I was using the fine tuning setting, and did not realize I was getting a lot of electrical noise from my computer and it was bugging up my signal. So yeah, user error.    : )

Maybe, but that's also a useful tip. I'm sure circling back and mentioning how you resolved it will help others. 

• Upvote 1

Disputes about the quality of Helix's tuner notwithstanding...I cannot fathom why there continues to be confusion about what to do if you don't like the onboard tuner. It's not supernatural: Buy something else. From $12 clip-ons, to rack- mounted tuners, to stand alone pedals... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting something that you can use to tune an electric guitar. Pick one and soldier on....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/6/2023 at 9:13 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Disputes about the quality of Helix's tuner notwithstanding...I cannot fathom why there continues to be confusion about what to do if you don't like the onboard tuner. It's not supernatural: Buy something else. From $12 clip-ons, to rack- mounted tuners, to stand alone pedals... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting something that you can use to tune an electric guitar. Pick one and soldier on....

I get what you are saying but I would not characterize what is going on as confusion. Of course they could buy another tuner. It is, to put it kindly, inaccurate to think that people don't know that. It's just wanting the tuner they have to work properly, or at least what they consider to be properly. I do understand the fidgety description. I don't think it's not working, I just think it's hyper accurate and seems to react immediately to the slightest anything. It doesn't seem to have any damping at all. If you have a Floyd Rose, it is kind of a pain. I defy anyone with one to get every string on a guitar with a Floyd Rose on it so that both the coarse and fine indicators are exactly in the middle. I've never had that issue with any of the other tuners I have used before. Including an old Peterson strobe tuner. Personally, I use it and make it work and I'm in tune and I'm fine with it. But I understand why there are people that don't like it. The best I can get is the coarse indicator in the middle and the fine indicator around the middle for each string. Most of the strings will not have both indicators in the exact middle. If the fine indicator is bouncing between the middle and halfway between the middle and the end, that's the best I can get for all of the strings. Unless there is some method I am unaware of. I do remember that turning the tone knob down all the way seemed to help mellow the inidicator out a little. One thing I have not done is a comparison with other tuners. Like when the string's tuning has the Helix's fine indicator mostly in the middle, how do other tuners read.

Guys, please: try the coarse tuner first.  I really really insist that the coarse tuner is absolutely fine.  It's great, it's fantastic. 

When I saw the default Fine tuner, I thought it was a piece of crap...   It is a piece of crap and is unusable.  The needle moves back and forth and you cannot freaking ... tune. 

Take it from me: I use the onboard tuner for recording sessions.  I play 2.5 hours on stage and tune up throughout the show with it.  If you tried the coarse tuner, then I don't know what to say... you may have some weird tuning standard that I cannot relate to. 

I generally use a Peterson Stomp HD in front of my Helix.  Just because I like the interface, like it "always on", and like an always available on/off switch.  When I have used the tuner in the Helix, I use the strobe mode.  Mostly because I'm used to that way of tuning.

Jason Sadites has a video that compares the Helix strobe to a Peterson and it comes across as very favorable to the Helix.

On 2/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, theElevators said:

Guys, please: try the coarse tuner first.  I really really insist that the coarse tuner is absolutely fine.  It's great, it's fantastic. 

When I saw the default Fine tuner, I thought it was a piece of crap...   It is a piece of crap and is unusable.  The needle moves back and forth and you cannot freaking ... tune. 

Take it from me: I use the onboard tuner for recording sessions.  I play 2.5 hours on stage and tune up throughout the show with it.  If you tried the coarse tuner, then I don't know what to say... you may have some weird tuning standard that I cannot relate to. 

What is a coarse tunner? Is a block for the helix?

To the OP: I also hate the inbuilt tunner, I bought a BOSS TU-3 and never looked back. My pedalboard is the Helix effects + TU-3 xD

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 8:43 AM, joanesinu said:

What is a coarse tunner? Is a block for the helix?

No, not a block - see Page 17 of your HX Effects 3.0 Owners Manual:

You have 3 types of Tuner available - Fine, Coarse and Strobe.  Select which type you want to use.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 1 month later...

I ended limiting electrical noise (60 hZ hum) and using the strobe tuner until buying a TC Electronics Polytube 3. That was a game changer for me. I use to use the boss pedal and that was fine. I built my own PC and with the graphics card and stupid RGB lights I put in it I needed a 1200 watt power supply. The PC was very loud electrically so I turned off my lighting and undervolted my GPU plus added some shielding. It made a world of difference.

On 3/20/2023 at 9:53 AM, PaulTBaker said:

I don't understand all this talk about tuning!  Next time buy a guitar that is in tune!!!!

:)  just kidding of course :)

I know!! Right? I've returned 5 guitars in the last month because they can't seem to sell me one that's in tune!!! I mean what gives?

• Like 1