Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Issues recording with HX Stomp in Logic

Airmaxx

Hello!

I am fairly new to the HX community and still haven't got to the grips with my HX Stomp. When it seems like I am, something else comes up 

For context I have been using the HX stomp on input 5, with my headphones directly into the stomp on this occasion to record some rhythm and lead

1. Initially I had trouble with the HX stomp recording quietly on input 5, I addressed this by increasing the volume at the end of the chain, however for some reason when I tried it this time on a chain, which consisted of only an amp and a fuzz effect, it didn't work. I know I can increase the volume using a compressor in logic itself so that isn't too much of a concern but still irritating.

2. My second issue is that on this occasion, the HX wouldn't record what I was hearing through my headphones which was the amp and the effect, only what sounded like the my guitar being played through a clean and quiet amp with no effects 

I have tried recording via different inputs, 1, 1-2, 3-4, but they all sound bad compared to input 5.

I know this might be a rookie errors but if anyone could lend a hand it would be much appreciated!

On 2/6/2023 at 1:47 AM, Airmaxx said:

Hello!

I am fairly new to the HX community and still haven't got to the grips with my HX Stomp. When it seems like I am, something else comes up 

For context I have been using the HX stomp on input 5, with my headphones directly into the stomp on this occasion to record some rhythm and lead

1. Initially I had trouble with the HX stomp recording quietly on input 5, I addressed this by increasing the volume at the end of the chain, however for some reason when I tried it this time on a chain, which consisted of only an amp and a fuzz effect, it didn't work. I know I can increase the volume using a compressor in logic itself so that isn't too much of a concern but still irritating.

2. My second issue is that on this occasion, the HX wouldn't record what I was hearing through my headphones which was the amp and the effect, only what sounded like the my guitar being played through a clean and quiet amp with no effects 

I have tried recording via different inputs, 1, 1-2, 3-4, but they all sound bad compared to input 5.

I know this might be a rookie errors but if anyone could lend a hand it would be much appreciated!

1) All newbies think that the recording level is too low. Read this:

What is the Ideal Level to Record Tracks into a DAW? (sweetwater.com)

2) When recording as you describe, use USB 1/2. That will record the same signal that you hear in the HP or on the Main Outs. Be certain that the Track Monitor Switch (or whatever they call it in Logic) is OFF to prevent hearing the delayed signal from the track. The recorded level may SEEM low, but that is to allow headroom for mixing/post processing.

USB 5/6 will always be the dry, unprocessed signal. This is used to get a DRY track for re-amping, and the recorded level will seem VERY low. That is intentional to allow for re-amping and further mixing/post processing.

USB 7/8 are the unprocessed signal from the L/R RETURNS. You can use these for a separate input from a synth, eDrum or mp3 player to record it on a separate track.

From the manual (it's worth reading):

Computer Input Source
USB 1 and 2 Output of HX Stomp’s Path A (with all Path A processing)
USB 3 and 4 Output of HX Stomp’s Path B (with all Path B processing)
USB 5 and 6 HX Stomp’s Main L/MONO and RIGHT inputs (dry, no processing)
USB 7 and 8 HX Stomp’s Return/Aux L/MONO and RIGHT inputs (dry, no
processing)

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2023 at 8:47 AM, Airmaxx said:

Hi,

Well, that's exactly what it looks like. 

The HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual Rev D - Page 55 has a whole section covering recording and re-amping using your DAW via USB.

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a418962611d636e7c51b/application/pdf/HX Stomp 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

I have been using my Helix floor as an audio interface, to record into Logic Pro, on an almost daily basis since 2015. It works perfectly, if you follow the instructions. 

Here's a video by a young lady showing the basics (see method 2 @ 5:30).

More.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added vid