Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High Cut below 1khz

Koernerbrot

Hi there,

Is it possible to set a high-cut below 1khz? The low/high cut block unfortunately only allows the high cut to a minimum of 1khz. At the moment I use the multiband compressor without any compression but with the bands set to where I want them and turned the gain all the way down on the mid- and high-band. This is not really ideal...

In case there is no such possibility: Please Line6 let us set such limits freely ourselves... why make 1khz as a minimum?  

• Confused 1

Are you talking about cross frequencies? In that case it can't be any different than that, since you need not-overlapping values to make them cross/fade, and then set the "mid-range" compression area. For example; 500Hz on LowXFreq and 3Khz on HighXFreq, means that's the portion you want to compress through the Mid threshold and control through Mid Gain... Said that, those aren't relative to high-cut. High Cut is EQ shaping, Cross Freqs are just "in/out" boundaries to set the midrange.

Honestly this is how it works in the Helix, and in any other multi band compressor...

I'm thinking he might be referring to the Hi/Low EQ block which limits the high cut parameter to no lower than 1khz and the low cut to no higher than 1khz...for obvious reasons.  Personally I can't even begin to imagine where one would need a high cut lower than 1khz.  But who knows?  Maybe someone has a use for a guitar tone that sounds like it's been wrapped in a soggy blanket?

At any rate if you think this would be useful to a lot of people you can submit it on Helix IdeaScale and see if you can garner enough votes to compel L6 to do such a thing.

• Upvote 2

On 2/6/2023 at 9:12 AM, Koernerbrot said:

Is it possible to set a high-cut below 1khz? The low/high cut block unfortunately only allows the high cut to a minimum of 1khz.

Hi,

I’m not really sure that I fully understand what you are trying to achieve here.

The Low/High Cut block only has 3 controls - Low Cut, High Cut and Level. As you are aware the high cut works down to 1khz, but 1khz is also the highest frequency that can be set on the Low Cut slider. Obviously, if you need to cut a frequency below that you should use the Low Cut at the top end of it’s range. 1khz is the limit for both high and low - it’s a mid point - therefore anything below 1khz falls into the low cut range, not high. 

You also mention the multi band compressor, where it seems you are using it simply to target specific frequencies and lower them without using any of the compression in the block. Once more, I cannot comprehend what you are trying to do with this concept. If you want to target and remove, or suppress specific frequencies, you simply need a Parametric EQ block, which contains both High and Low cut and 3 separate stages of high, mid and low sweepable frequencies, with gain and resonance control.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

Yes, I am referring to the Hi/Low Cut EQ block. Using the Multiband Compressor is just my workaround currently.

My use case is as follows:
I play bass in pretty low tuned modern metal band (A# and F tuning). The industry standard is to leave the low end clean and distort the mids and highs. I could do all this with a frequency split in Helix, but I find the sound of my Darkglass B7K Ultra V2 a lot better than the equivalent Obsidian block. That's why (and because I have some other pedal effects on the board) I split the signal after a compressor before the HX Stomp, and route one half through my Darkglass B7K - applying a lot of distortion and sculping my main sound. The other half goes directly and clean into the HX Stomp. Using those two signals as left and right input allows me to then split the signal in the HX Stomp via hard pan splitting to L and R. Now I am in the need to cut away the highs of the clean signal and cut away the lows of the distorted signal. For the first case, the Hi/Low Cut EQ block works great, but not for the second case, because I want/need to remove everything above max. 200 Hz.

Using the 3-band comp as a workaround, I can set the low X frequency to the desired frequency and pull the mid and high band gain all the way down. But as I said... this is not exactly the ideal solution :)

I hope my use case is clarified now :)

EDIT: Of course, I merge the two signals / paths again later, before going to the output.

On 2/6/2023 at 2:00 PM, Koernerbrot said:

Now I am in the need to cut away the highs of the clean signal and cut away the lows of the distorted signal. For the first case, the Hi/Low Cut EQ block works great, but not for the second case, because I want/need to remove everything above max. 200 Hz.

EQ Shelf should do the job just fine. Using high shelf it should act like an high pass filter (only low will pass) just smoother.

On 2/6/2023 at 4:24 PM, Schmalle said:

This may be too limited for what you want but the Split block ( the circle that appears any time a parallel path is created, but is visible only when
selected) offers a Crossover option.

I can't do that because i already use the Y-Split to process two mono input signals in parallel. Only one split is possible or am i wrong?

I totally understand why someone would want a high cut that could go below 1 kHz, I've sometimes wanted that myself for other reasons, like bi-amping or pre-conditioning the audio before a high-gain stage. In addition to the 3-band compressor trick, here are the workarounds I use - they may or may not be good enough for your application:

10-Band Graphic - pull down the high sliders, and boost the low sliders. 

Shelf - High Shelf goes down to 400 Hz. Cascading them gives a sharper cutoff.

Cab - High Cut goes down to 500 Hz, although that assumes your cab is inserted someplace where that will do you some good.

Tilt - The Tilt center frequency frequency goes down to 100 Hz, but the slope might not be steep enough for your needs.

Simple EQ - it has high and low shelf, and mid peak. Set the high shelf to full cut, boost the low shelf, set mid gain to -12 dB and play with the Mid Freq to get the best results.

One of these options may be good enough for your application. Hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2