Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Send out Midi CC when a block with block Midi CC assigned changes value?

MrHaroldA

Dear all,

I've assigned a Midi CC to a block to control it from my midi controller. Is there a way to send out the state when loading a patch, snapshot or just simply toggling the state of the block on the HX effects itself? I would like the controller to know the current state so it can display and send out the right toggle command.

Assigning a CC toggle to a footswitch won't work, as the HX Effects only has 6 foot switches and 9 blocks. The CC toggle and block state can also get out-of-sync if you switch the block state but not the CC state.

It would be nice if the state of the parameter with a CC bound to it would also send out the value set by the HX Effects.

Cheers!

Harold

Unfortunately, no. MIDI communication between devices/SW in its present form is one-way only.

MIDI Standard v2 allows for two-way communication, but even when the standard is finalized, it will be TWO-WAY - both the sending and receiving devices/SW will have to have it implemented. 

IOW - don't hold your breath.

On 2/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, rd2rk said:

Unfortunately, no. MIDI communication between devices/SW in its present form is one-way only.

MIDI Standard v2 allows for two-way communication, but even when the standard is finalized, it will be TWO-WAY - both the sending and receiving devices/SW will have to have it implemented. 

This just goes to show how when something works flawlessly decade after decade it's very hard to replace it with something new.  Fortunately for us all the modern tech introduced over the last few decades should be more easily replaced...LOL

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2023 at 3:52 PM, DunedinDragon said:

This just goes to show how when something works flawlessly decade after decade it's very hard to replace it with something new.  Fortunately for us all the modern tech introduced over the last few decades should be more easily replaced...LOL

We can only hope that the MI in general will implement v2 faster than v1. 

They need to keep the musically/technologically ignorant CFO's out of the design process... RIGHT! That'll happen... when pigs fly!

On 2/8/2023 at 11:36 PM, rd2rk said:

One way communication is fine; the HX Effects has a Midi out as well, so I can receive these messages on my (DIY) controller. This also won't cause a loop as the HX should only send out CC data if the change originated on the HX itself.

I expected a parameter bound to a CC to also send out the current state instead of only accepting new values from the outside. I expected wrong ;)