Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oversaturated/oversampled sound, making Catalyst 60 literally unusable

CPD0123

So I just picked up a Cat 60 at GC, but trying to use the USB or the headphones is resulting in a horrible over sampled, over saturated mess. Started with the old "knobs turned to noon then adjust" trick, and it was just a mess. Adjusted everything to 0 and slowly brought stuff back and all that did was make a quiet mess. I tried following what settings other people have posted online, and copied them exactly, but it's still just a god awful mess that I cannot actually use.

And the second I throw even a single overdrive pedal, set near zero, at it it just blows out entirely. Throw a Rat at it? Yeah forget it, it's just noise and static. And again, the rat is turned nearly zero, with the filter and volume at noon, and the distortion just maybe 5 to 10 degrees above horizontal.

I've attached an audio sample of the issue. At first is a "clean" tone, then the lowest setting of the lower side of my Blackstar Dual, then the Rat set very low, and at some point I think I accidentally hit the Joyo British amp emulator that I have.

I swapped to headphones instead of USB to see if maybe it was something on my computer's end, but it's still just as much of a mess in the headphones.

Is there something that I'm doing wrong? Or did I manage to get a defective unit?

Thanks

On 2/9/2023 at 9:59 AM, phil_m said:

What does the sound coming out of the actual speaker sound like? Sounds like you may be clipping or something, but it’s hard to tell.

I haven't gotten to try the speaker, but it's clipping really badly, even on a clean tone. I double checked and the pickups on my strat are pretty low, so that's not the issue. But the guitar so-far is the only variable I haven't eliminated yet.