Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Uneven string volume on my JTV-69

Lately I've noticed my top 2 strings (B and high E) seem lower volume than all the rest. I messed with it today in Workbench and I had to take all the other strings down 3dB to make it all sound good again. I've been playing this guitar as my #1 since 2012 and this is definitely a fairly recent development. Any ideas on what it could be or things I can try? 

Deoxit is the best. If it doesn't do it, that's not the problem. I have actually replaced the piezo in my JTV69 to fix this problem. I is cheap and easy and it worked for me. This is not unccomon and my theory is the signal from the piezo is amplified so much for the JTV Variax's that any flaws in the piezo are greatly magnafied. i don't know if they still carry them or if they were available for the JTV 59 but I got the piezo from Full Compass.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a youtube vid of someone who had a "dull" D and replaced the piezo and it fixed it. I may have to look into it. I hate that I haven't had the best experiences with my "authorized service center" so I don't have a lot of trust that they really know Variaxes well.

In the meantime, I went into workbench and took the lowest 4 strings down by 3bB and that at least seems to have things sounding even for the moment. I just wonder how much that is going to affect my sound related to the Helix presets I have set up, specifically in regards to the amount of gain. Like is that small enough that it won't matter much, or maybe a formerly "crunchy" patch will not have quite as much crunch any more? 

I have replaced a piezo to fix this problem in my 69 when the Deoxit didn't work.

The replacement. I was able to do it myself but I have a little electronics experience. I don't think you need much, but if you don't have any, send it to psarkissian. And it will kill you warranty. I did it after the warranty had expired.

Oh yeah I got mine when they first came out so warranty is long gone. And I'm just trying to avoid shipping my guitar and being without it for that long not to mention I don't trust any of the carriers any more! so many horror stories!

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, piezo pickups will eventually fail, not a matter of if, but when.  A piezo pickup works by being ‘deformed’ (alternately squashed and stretched microscopically) by string vibrations passed through the saddle.  Made of ceramic, these vibrations create tiny fractures that over time will diminish the signal they are able to produce.

(great article here if you want to learn more. https://hazeguitars.com/blog/acoustic-power-the-magic-of-piezoelectricity)

I have three Variax guitars, the Variax Acoustic, the JTV89-F, and a JTV-59, I love these guitars and have gigged with them for years, but all three have this piezo issue to one degree or another.  Originally I used the workbench software to adjust, but found that tedious.  I now have a Helix floor which makes this issue much more manageable.

However, adjustment will only work for so long, eventually they need to be replaced.  The good news is the process is relatively simple with a little patience and time.  I have had to replace two of the piezos on my JTV-89F with very good results.  You can buy the parts here from Full Compass (https://www.fullcompass.com/brand/ln6-line-6/accessories/parts-replacement-service/musical-instrument-parts/guitar-parts/  Pay attention to which string you are replacing as there are three specific part numbers.  On this guitar you remove the whole saddle, the wires feed through the tremolo cavity to a wiring assembly in the main control section, no soldering required.

Here is a video I did playing some acoustic patches after replacing two piezos, I think it sounds great.  Although I bought a couple spares for next time...  Good luck!

P.S. If an alternative pickup design could be developed, the Variax would truly be the most amazing guitar ever! (just saying) :-)

Image4.jpg

• Like 1

On 4/22/2023 at 1:16 PM, jambo175 said:

Unfortunately, piezo pickups will eventually fail, not a matter of if, but when.  A piezo pickup works by being ‘deformed’ (alternately squashed and stretched microscopically) by string vibrations passed through the saddle.  Made of ceramic, these vibrations create tiny fractures that over time will diminish the signal they are able to produce.

(great article here if you want to learn more. https://hazeguitars.com/blog/acoustic-power-the-magic-of-piezoelectricity)

I have three Variax guitars, the Variax Acoustic, the JTV89-F, and a JTV-59, I love these guitars and have gigged with them for years, but all three have this piezo issue to one degree or another.  Originally I used the workbench software to adjust, but found that tedious.  I now have a Helix floor which makes this issue much more manageable.

However, adjustment will only work for so long, eventually they need to be replaced.  The good news is the process is relatively simple with a little patience and time.  I have had to replace two of the piezos on my JTV-89F with very good results.  You can buy the parts here from Full Compass (https://www.fullcompass.com/brand/ln6-line-6/accessories/parts-replacement-service/musical-instrument-parts/guitar-parts/  Pay attention to which string you are replacing as there are three specific part numbers.  On this guitar you remove the whole saddle, the wires feed through the tremolo cavity to a wiring assembly in the main control section, no soldering required.

Here is a video I did playing some acoustic patches after replacing two piezos, I think it sounds great.  Although I bought a couple spares for next time...  Good luck!

P.S. If an alternative pickup design could be developed, the Variax would truly be the most amazing guitar ever! (just saying) :-)

Image4.jpg

I think yours might be the video I had seen before! I ordered 2 piezo replacements and it's in the shop right now awaiting the procedure. However now I hope I got the right parts! I didn't see more than one kind so I figured all the piezo saddles were the same!

"I didn't see more than one kind so I figured all the piezo saddles were the same!",... not for the 89F.

They are paired off,... Hi-E/Lo-E, A/B, D/G. Have to get the correct ones and insert in the correct paired order,

or it won't sound right.

On 4/24/2023 at 10:49 AM, psarkissian said:

"I didn't see more than one kind so I figured all the piezo saddles were the same!",... not for the 89F.

They are paired off,... Hi-E/Lo-E, A/B, D/G. Have to get the correct ones ad insert in the correct paired order,

or it won't sound right.

On fullcompass I only see one JTV piezo part available! I guess we'll see as I ordered 2 and am just waiting to get it back from the shop now!

On 4/25/2023 at 4:02 PM, psarkissian said:

For the 89F,

30-51-0689 for Hi-E/Lo-E

30-51-0690 for A/B

30-51-0691 for D/G

For all JTV, Shuriken and Standards, 11-00-0010.

Ah good. I got the right ones! Thanks!