Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Refurbished Variax Defective on Arrival

I just purchased a refurbished JTV 59 through the Line 6 shop. It arrived today. While checking it to make sure it was in working order, I found that the guitar shipped with a stripped truss rod nut. Very disappointed. I even paid extra for the expedited shipping for it to arrive by today as I was hoping to use it this weekend. I tried calling the Line 6 service number, but they are only available 8 am-12 pm Mon-Fri. It's Friday and I didn't receive the guitar until after 2 pm central time. Why such a short call window? So, I guess I'll have to wait until Monday. What is the best way to get this taken care of? I wouldn't think it would be a repair ticket as it was defective before it shipped. I assume when the warranty says free from defect, this would be covered. Do I have to pay shipping back to Line 6? Anyone have experience with an issue like this before? I don't usually buy refurbished products, but I expected it to be alright coming straight from the line 6 online shop.

Edit: I opened a ticket on it but its the weekend, so I probably won't hear anything until next week. I'll update this when I find out how the problem is handled. I don't want to be soured on buying refurbished gear, but we are not off to a fantastic start.

Edited by cybrsqrl
Update

UPDATE: I guess I must openly apologize to Line 6. The refurbished guitar is fine, It's the user that was incompetent! So I went back and tried again. The wrench that came with it spins free in the hole. Tried my others and same result or too long to fit into the cavity. Then on a whim, I dug through my tool bag from work and found one the same size as the one in the bag but slightly longer on the short end. Bingo! It is NOT stripped but much further in than I was expecting it to be and further in than the one in the bag could reach. Is this normal for this truss rod? Maybe I got the wrong wrench in the kit? This is the first JTV I've owned. Either way, the problem is resolved. It's a great relief. I love everything about this guitar and got lucky with the grain and burst being beautiful. I was really dreading having to send it back. The wrench that fit is now being stored permanently in the guitar bag and I'm going to go close the ticket!

I'm going to leave this up long enough for people to see the final outcome before deleting the thread.

On 2/14/2023 at 4:51 PM, cybrsqrl said:

It's a great relief.

Literally!! Don't feel bad ... I had the same thing happen to me once; not sure if it was on one of my Variaxes or not. I now keep some longer allen wrenches handy. Happy that you go it sorted out. Enjoy that guitar!!!