Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 500 no signal from 3rd (G-) string

Hi everyone! Player from Berlin, Germany here.

Just bought a Variax 500 on Ebay from a shop. By the serial number I guess it´s 20 y old but it looks absolutely brand new, even the protective foil was still on the backplate. There´s not a scratch or mark on it. All electronics - after spending about an hour with it - work perfectly. Except ... there´s no sound from the 3rd (GH-) string. The shop says it was fully functional when shipped (Shop is here in Germany) and it even went to a guitar technician a few months ago for inspection.

I´ve already read some similar posts on this forum and I had a good luck at the saddles, but there´s is no visible dust or dirt on the bridge. Also the tiny black wire on the 3rd saddle seems exactly like the other ones. I noticed the saddles cannot be height-adjusted, so I just moved it a bit to see if there is a contact issue. Nope. But still no sound there.

So I´m asking how do get a support ticket and/or tips on where it can be repaired?

-For Support ticket, you must first create a Line 6 account, register the guitar.

-If it is not a problem with dust or dirt in the saddle, then it could be an oxidized solder point, or a failed piezo.

Being a 20 year old product, it is possible for everything to work one moment, then have something fail the next.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

... for the Line 6 authorized service near you.

Viel Glück

On 2/13/2023 at 5:46 PM, psarkissian said:

-For Support ticket, you must first create a Line 6 account, register the guitar.

-If it is not a problem with dust or dirt in the saddle, then it could be an oxidized solder point, or a failed piezo.

Being a 20 year old product, it is possible for everything to work one moment, then have something fail the next.

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

... for the Line 6 authorized service near you.

Viel Glück

On 2/13/2023 at 5:46 PM, psarkissian said:

Thanks for responding. Yes I´ve registered the guitar. 
If I could order spare piezos (although they seem hard to come by) would it be difficult to install them myself? It seems I would need to take out the bridge completely, right? Same if I want to check for broken soldering point. 
There is some sort of service centre here in Germany, but they would have the same problem acquiring spare piezos. 

"... would it be difficult to install them myself? ", yes, mainly because it's rather touchy. There is a flex circuit trace involved, get too close with an iron or damage it, then its over, as there are no more replacements for that flex circuit. Have an authorized Line 6 service center do it.