Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Changing amps

jova

Hi , I’m having a bit of a nightmare with the Helix LT when going to the studio to rehearse with the band.

I’m playing through a Marshall all valve amp with the treble, bass and mids every thing at twelve when I’m dialling in sounds at my house ( fairly big sound proof garage actually) and I can get tones I’m fairly happy with, then when I plug it into a transistor amp at the studio it sounds absolutely terrible! Even with the studio amp with the bass, treble, mids at twelve the bass is to rather boomy or in some tones the treble is awful, the volume can be different also and the tone is just not there,, any ideas if there is something I can do rather than have book myself into the studio and sit and dial new presets for studio use.

cheers

john 

I'm going through a similar issue where I have things sounding great in my home, but will likely have to use a different amp on a stage.  

And . . . I think that's just how it is.  I don't think you can't expect that dialing in one amp means anything when you switch to another amp.  If you intend to use that other amp, you'll have to spend the time making it sound good.  Or bring your own amp in, which likely won't sound the same either due to room acoustics, but it may be a closer starting point.

Can you explain your signal path a bit. The way you described it in the post sounds like you are comparing different physical amplifiers, not amp sims in the Helix. If you are comparing a REAL Marshall amp, with a Marshall amp block in the Helix there are several things you need to be aware of.

1. Do not compare settings between the two. a 5 on the gain of a real amp is NOT equivalent to a 5 on the gain of the amp sim. Use your ears.

2. Listening to a real cab in the room is not the same as a cab block, because it is coloured by the microphone, it's position, and the monitors you are listening to the output on.

3. If you want to minimize the difference in tone between different amps use a preamp block in the helix, and then plug the helix into the receive input of the amp's FX loop. This means you will only be using the power amp stage of the real amp, and you can shape your tone appropriately in the helix. If you do this with a send block, it means you can put a cab block at the end and then send the main outs to the PA. Unfortunately there is no power amp block in the helix, so you can't simulate saturation at that point in the chain.

On 2/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, jova said:

Hi , I’m having a bit of a nightmare with the Helix LT when going to the studio to rehearse with the band.

I’m playing through a Marshall all valve amp with the treble, bass and mids every thing at twelve when I’m dialling in sounds at my house ( fairly big sound proof garage actually) and I can get tones I’m fairly happy with, then when I plug it into a transistor amp at the studio it sounds absolutely terrible! Even with the studio amp with the bass, treble, mids at twelve the bass is to rather boomy or in some tones the treble is awful, the volume can be different also and the tone is just not there,, any ideas if there is something I can do rather than have book myself into the studio and sit and dial new presets for studio use.

cheers

john 

When you change the amp you're playing through, the final product will never sound the same... it's just the nature of the beast. Sounds much be tweaked at, or as close as possible to the set of circumstances that you intend to use them. Multiple set lists for use in different environments/ scenarios is the only way to maintain your sanity unless you want to be constantly tweaking back and forth every time you're listening through something else.

This is maybe the main reason why so many folks simply go direct to the PA from the Helix and most other modelers.  There's no real reason to have an amp on stage if you have decent floor monitors.  Each amp will have it's own unique sound and settings and is why most people that want to use a stage amp use a 4 cable method so they can choose to send the fully formed sound of the Helix to the amp and avoid the tone stack of the amp.  You'll still encounter differences though based on the speaker cabinet and mic's used on the amp on a live stage.  All of that complexity makes it easy to make the decision to go direct to the PA and avoid all the hassle.