Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp out

drdog

On 2/17/2023 at 8:47 AM, drdog said:

If I got it right the amp out should bypass the cab in the pod go? But why does the sound change when i change the cab's in the PG? I run my PG through a flat poweramp to a real guitar cab.

Because Amp out is the same as the 'main out' and includes the cab unless you set this to be tapped off in global settings>ins/outs  otherwise you'll still get the cab model & everything after it. Per p7 of the manual:

20. AMP OUT This unbalanced output is meant to send directly to the front of your
guitar amp. By default, it reflects the same output as the MAIN outputs (except in
mono), but it can be globally switched to be tapped off directly before the Cab/
IR block. This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your mixer (or FRFR
speaker) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal to your guitar
amp.

P37 of manual: Global Settings > Ins/Outs>P1, knob 3:

Amp Out Source
Choose “Main Out” if you want the POD Go AMP OUT jack to echo the MAIN OUTS (except in mono); choose “Pre Cab/IR” if you want the AMP OUT jack to be tapped off directly before the Cab/IR block (and therefore, would not include the Cab/IR block or any blocks after it). This way, you can send a cab-emulated signal to your powered speakers (or mixer) while simultaneously sending a non-cab-emulated signal straight into your guitar amp.

However, where your patches have FX after the cab if you tap it off directly before the cab/IR, you'll not only lose the cab but also all the FX after it.  If you don't want that it's just easier to turn the cab off in a patch.  As above, this 'tap off' feature is only really useful where all your patches FX are before the cab/IR and where you are going through a guitar amp AND a powered speaker or mixer.  Exceptions might be where you don't want effects in Pod Go going to your amp but where these are already provided by your amp - e.g. reverb.  The problem with this type of set up is that what you will hear in front of your amp will be quite different to what you or the audience will hear through a powered speaker or the main PA and you'll have two distinctly different outputs to sound-check & balance.  

I agree with everything voxman55 stated. 

In my case there are three situations (venues) that I deal with: Home studio monitor, FRFR amp in church orchestra, regular amplifier in rock band.  For the first two I use the MAIN Out and AMP OUT for the last.  Under Global Settings, Main Out Level = Line and Amp Out Source = Pre Cab/IR. Within the preset the Cab is last (to the right) in the block chain.  All my effects, exps, amp blocks are to the left of the cab.  (Note: Make sure your Cab is active in your preset, if you want it on when playing through an FRFR. I made this mistake thinking something was wrong with the Pod Go.) 

When using your external amp, do a test by enabling/disabling the Cab block in the Pod Go.  There should be no difference in sound and will insure the Global Amp Out Source is set correctly.

This is not related, but another thing I do is run my AMP OUT through the amp Return and bypass the external amp preamp.  I also use the Pod Go Preamp blocks instead of the Amp blocks.  Not sure if it makes any difference but it seems like replacing a preamp with a preamp is the proper thing to do.  Just my opinion. 

One thing I'm working on is trying to duplicate the sounds between these venues. For the FRFR/Monitor situation, I tried to select a Cab that best fit my external amp cabinet and tweaked around with the mics.  Also fooled around with the Preamp settings. Still not there yet.  If you have any suggestions on the best way to do this, I would love to hear it.

Good Luck!

Edited by cain29671
Had to add some more explanation.

Question related to this subject - why isn't the cab block always, by default, last in the signal path? This is obviously what happens with a real amp. I don't think any presets I've seen (e.g. the factory presets) are set up this way which seems odd.

As described above, it seems the most convenient way to do it if you want to use the 'Amp Out' output into a guitar amp & speaker. You then also have the option of using the 'Main Out' (e.g. through a PA) where the cab block is included.

• 2 weeks later...

You don't really place your effects between your amp head outputs and a speaker cab.   The POD does not support placing effects between the preamp and poweramp like an effects loop if that is what you are thinking. Placing your effects after the the speaker cab simulates applying studio effects after mic'd amp cabinet which does happen in recording studios.

On 3/10/2023 at 8:30 AM, sebabetto said:

Related to this matter, why if I set up the amp out echoes the main out, the main out reproduce audio , like USB audio from PC , while the AMP out doesn't? anyone can confirm this or is just my unit.

This is normal. USB audio from PC is sent directly to the POD Go main outputs. It is not sent through the processing path like a normal input, and it is not directed to the Amp Out jacks.

I just got a Princeton 65 Reissue and so far have not gotten it to play nice with the POD Go.  I've bypassed the CAB/IR in the Global Settings but the vast majority of the presets - even ones I really liked - range from terrible to completely unusable.  They all sound metallic with very high treble.  It oftens sounds like I have fret buzz when it's not the guitar.  I'd be open to any suggestions on how to make these work together.  I was actually shopping for a Powercab and got offered this on a deal I couldn't refuse.  

On 3/11/2023 at 2:50 PM, mattdeheus said:

I just got a Princeton 65 Reissue and so far have not gotten it to play nice with the POD Go.  I've bypassed the CAB/IR in the Global Settings but the vast majority of the presets - even ones I really liked - range from terrible to completely unusable.  They all sound metallic with very high treble.  It oftens sounds like I have fret buzz when it's not the guitar.  I'd be open to any suggestions on how to make these work together.  I was actually shopping for a Powercab and got offered this on a deal I couldn't refuse.  

So do you still have the amp model on? That’s still not going to be ideal going into the Princeton’s input. You’re best bet with that setup would probably be using the PG for effects only and worrying about the amp modeling.