Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix floor as an interface to OBS Studio

Kidwags

Hello Everyone, I'm trying to record into OBS Studio with my Helix Floor, mixer, then Studio One 4. can someone please direct me with the proper *order of equipment* to achieve this task? I've tried with my Focusrite 2i2 and have had pretty good luck  however, Helix is supposed to be a Great audio interface as well "right". I would love to connect my Helix Floor and use it as a audio interface instead of Focusrite 2i2. I'm getting tired of plugging and unplugging all my components for different setups yet, really the Helix "if set up correctly as an audio interface" can handle all my needs. I just need to know the proper order.  My final goal is to record guitars, mic through Helix, ability to use my 10 channel mixer going to Studio One 4 and picked up in OBS Studio for a final copy. Any help with proper setup for this method would be Greatly appreciate. Thank you

I’m not entirely clear on your desired workflow. Do you need to use Helix as the audio interface for recording at the same time as the mixer? Or will you use those two devices at different times and just want to avoid needing to dis/reconnect cables? Are you using a Windows computer (the following comments assume that you are).

Using Helix as the audio interface requires that it be connected to your computer via USB. Then, in your DAW you need to specify that the Helix ASIO driver be used and that Helix will be your audio input and output device. For recording you need nothing else. Connect your guitar or mic to the Helix inputs, arm track(s) for recording, select the desired USB channel to record as the track’s input from among the Helix USB Send options, and connect your speakers/monitors to the Helix Outputs. Note that in this setup your mixer is not used in any way. It can remain connected to your computer but it will be ignored.

When you want to use your mixer using Helix as an input device you will need to connect the Helix audio outputs to your mixer’s inputs, and your speakers/monitors to the mixer’s audio outputs. Connect your mixer to your computer (usb?) and configure your computer/DAW to use the mixer,  not Helix, as the audio interface. In this setup your Helix can remain connected to your computer via usb but it will be ignored by your DAW. You could still use HX Edit.

In terms of connections and cables you will need to have your speakers/monitors connected to the appropriate device, either your Helix or your mixer. If you want to have a permanent setup that does not require dis/reconnecting your speakers you can insert another device (an A/B switcher) that takes audio output from both your Helix and your Mixer and allows you to switch between the inputs as desired so that you hear only one of them at a time through your speakers/monitors.

Hope this helps. Please clarify if my assumptions are wrong, or if you’re looking to do something else.