Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First time using Helix and REAPER!

heaj0s

Hey everyone,

I’m new to both the Helix and DAW’s, and I’m having a really frustrating time trying to get started with REAPER.

I have Windows 10 and the most recent REAPER (6.77) as well as Helix 3.50. I believe I’ve got the proper Global Settings as far as ins/outs and routing. I’ve also got the Native plug-in running and open in a track within Reaper, recording armed and record monitoring on. I feel like I’ve matched as many preferences and numbers as I can as far as I can between the system settings, reaper settings and ASIO Helix settings.

I think I could just use a reset and some serious help getting started. I’m sure posts like this have been made, so I greatly appreciate any patience and willingness to help. I hear this is an awesome community and I’m excited to be a part of it!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Firstly, understand that Helix Native is a plug-in to your DAW (Reaper) and is usually applied to a pre-recorded dry (unprocessed) track. It is not really designed to be applied to live playing due to potential audible latency (a time lag in the audio while Helix Native processes the incoming audio before sending it to the track output).

The normal workflow is to first record a dry track, and optionally a wet processed track in Reaper. Here’s a step-by-step workflow you can try:

1. Connect your Helix to your computer via USB. Helix is now your computer’s soundcard so you need to also connect your speakers/ monitors/headphones to the Helix audio outputs. Otherwise ypu won’t hear any sound.

2. Configure Reaper to use your Helix and it’s ASIO driver as the audio input and output device. Make sure you specify that all 8 of the HELIX USB channels are made available.

3. Arm two tracks for recording in Reaper. For the Record Input of one track - the dry track - specify Helix USB channel 7 which (by default) sends the Guitar Input signal directly to Reaper, unprocessed. For the wet track specify Helix USB 1/2 for stereo, or just USB 1 for mono. Turn software monitoring OFF on both tracks. Your Helix provides hardware monitoring.

4. Record your guitar part. You should see both tracks being recorded. You may notice that the incoming level of the dry track is lower than the wet track. This is normal - do not attempt to increase it. The waveform will seem unusually narrow. That’s because it captures the relatively low level of a DI guitar signal. It’s meant to be boosted by plug-in amp sim processing, just like your guitar signal is meant to be boosted by a real amp.

5. Apply Helix Native as a plug-in on the dry track.

6. if you use the same preset in Helix Native as you used for the wet, processed, recorded track both tracks should sound the same after adjusting the Input and Output levels in Helix Native.

7. Keep the processed track as long as you want but it will probably eventually become obsolete  if you continue to make changes to the preset using Helix Native as your recording project evolves.

Personally, I no longer record the original wet track. I just record the dry track because I expect that I will make changes using Helix Native that renders the original preset obsolete.

When your recording project is finished you can export your preset from Helix Native and import it into your Helix device so that you can bring your studio tone to the stage if you wish.

This stuff can definitely get frustrating, especially when you're diving into new hardware and DAWs all at the same time.  Unfortunately there isn't enough information in your post to determine what exactly is not working for you.  I'm assuming that you're not getting any sound into Reaper, so let's start with that.

- What Helix Hardware do you have? (Floor, LT, Stomp)

- How are you connecting it to your computer?  The instructions will be different if you are connecting it straight to the computer via USB or plugging into some other interface

- Are you on PC or Mac?

Let's take Helix Native out of it for starters.  You don't need that to get sound into your DAW.