Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rearrange Snapshots for each Preset in HX Edit for LT

Phrankenstrat

After a few live shows, I've come to realize I made a blunder that has become very apparent and not an easy fix (at least that I know of). I use many presets in every show and I have many snapshots for each preset. Unfortunately, when I made them they are pretty darn haphazard. For instance, I pretty much want all my main rhythm parts on lower row A. All my leads on lower row but in D. And various other highly used funtions in the the two B & C and also get the upper row to be somewhat consistent. However, the way I made each preset, these Snapshots are all over the dang place. I can't figure out how to move them to where I want them and it's driving me nuts. I would have that it would just be a click and drag but that is not the case. Anyone have a good way of doing this? I really don't want to have to try to do this on the board itself. Thanks for listening. 

You can copy/paste snapshots within a preset using HX Edit but you can’t reorder them or copy/paste between presets. Every Paste operation overwrites the snapshot currently occupying that slot, leaving you with two instances of the just-Copied preset. So the best you can do is strategically copy/paste until you have three of the four in the order you want and then manually recreate the final one. Perhaps a couple of the snapshots are very close, maybe even a couple of blocks bypassed from one to the other. Look for the similarities to decide the simplest way to proceed. You may need to temporarily paste a preset in a location other than its final destination.

And, yes, you will need to do this for every preset you want to reorganize.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 4:52 AM, silverhead said:

You can copy/paste snapshots within a preset using HX Edit but you can’t reorder them or copy/paste between presets. Every Paste operation overwrites the snapshot currently occupying that slot, leaving you with two instances of the just-Copied preset. So the best you can do is strategically copy/paste until you have three of the four in the order you want and then manually recreate the final one. Perhaps a couple of the snapshots are very close, maybe even a couple of blocks bypassed from one to the other. Look for the similarities to decide the simplest way to proceed. You may need to temporarily paste a preset in a location other than its final destination.

And, yes, you will need to do this for every preset you want to reorganize.

But I do believe there is the ability swap the position of snapshots using the on hardware edit facility. I don't use it and not near my hardware so can't confirm easily. This might be quicker than the (IMHO) somewhat cumbersome and error prone copy and paste in HX Edit method, albeit still requiring each preset to be edited.

And yes, standardising your snap order makes a huge difference live - unfortunately I had 100+ presets done by the time I came to that realisation, so now my build template includes some standard snap names/order.

I think that, the other day, by accident, I got a message "do you want to swap snapshots 1 and 2?"... not sure but I think so, and that was by pressing two switches or by touching a switch (the touch-sensitive capability)... I'm not sure because I didn't want to do it and discarded immediately, but I think that was the message...

On 3/6/2023 at 5:06 AM, waymda said:

But I do believe there is the ability swap the position of snapshots using the on hardware edit facility. I don't use it and not near my hardware so can't confirm easily. This might be quicker than the (IMHO) somewhat cumbersome and error prone copy and paste in HX Edit method, albeit still requiring each preset to be edited.

And yes, standardising your snap order makes a huge difference live - unfortunately I had 100+ presets done by the time I came to that realisation, so now my build template includes some standard snap names/order.

Yes. Touch 2 buttons (don’t press).  There’ll be a menu offering to swap them. 

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 6:06 AM, theElevators said:

Yes. Touch 2 buttons (don’t press).  There’ll be a menu offering to swap them. 

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying, and sorry for any confusion I may have caused. 

On 3/6/2023 at 7:30 AM, silverhead said:

Good to know. Thanks for clarifying, and sorry for any confusion I may have caused. 

It's also pretty easy to copy/paste snapshots on the Helix itself.  HX Edit makes it a lot easier to copy/paste things though.  I still recommend knowing how to do all these things on the Helix itself.  For example, I had to redo my preset 10 minutes before showtimes without a computer one time. 

My general recommendation is that if you have let's say 2 sounds throughout your song: rhythm and solo, designate one button to your solo sound (right-most bottom), and the rest of the buttons will be rhythm.  So you don't have any snapshots that are unusable or non-applicable in your preset.  Also color-coding your solo/rhythm sounds can be of great help.  I have an entire video if you'd like to see, various visual cues.  https://youtu.be/o0S6WNKXQKc

On 3/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, Phrankenstrat said:

After a few live shows, I've come to realize I made a blunder that has become very apparent and not an easy fix (at least that I know of). I use many presets in every show and I have many snapshots for each preset. Unfortunately, when I made them they are pretty darn haphazard. For instance, I pretty much want all my main rhythm parts on lower row A. All my leads on lower row but in D. And various other highly used funtions in the the two B & C and also get the upper row to be somewhat consistent. However, the way I made each preset, these Snapshots are all over the dang place. I can't figure out how to move them to where I want them and it's driving me nuts. I would have that it would just be a click and drag but that is not the case. Anyone have a good way of doing this? I really don't want to have to try to do this on the board itself. Thanks for listening. 

Unless I'm misunderstanding the problem, the easiest solution is just to simply re-order the snapshots how you like them using command centre no?

It won't move e them in Snapshot mode but you can put them where you like in stomp mode. I do this all time with my presets