Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Preset Change through MIDI?

gergoretvari

Hello there!

I'm at the beginning of starting my guitar cover videos, and I heard about preset changing through MIDI without having to use the footswitches. (I'm using Reaper)

How can i achieve it, that when i'm recording my guitar my preset changes through MIDI automatically? 

Thanks in advance!

On 3/7/2023 at 11:34 AM, gergoretvari said:

Hello there!

I'm at the beginning of starting my guitar cover videos, and I heard about preset changing through MIDI without having to use the footswitches. (I'm using Reaper)

How can i achieve it, that when i'm recording my guitar my preset changes through MIDI automatically? 

Thanks in advance!

I've just spent some time playing with MIDI, as some of my HELIX LT footswitches are playing up. So I wanted to build a new pedal board (12 footswitches same as HELIX) prior to cracking open the helix and attempting to fix the switches myself.

Anyway, there is a wealth of information here https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/the-unofficial-helix-midi-guide.1954544/ which may help to get you started, all you need to do is to work out how to get your software to send MID at the right time.

I'm no expert, but found it relatively easy ... although there are some quirks

Let us know how you get on

The system my band uses live every week has a laptop that provides backing tracks and coordinates MIDI stage automation commands with my Helix and several other devices.  The key is having a separate MIDI automation track that sends the automation commands at the correct moment as the track progresses.  I use Ableton Live but I'm sure there's a way to do it in Reaper much the same way.  It's just a simple MIDI track but configured so it sends the MIDI PC and CC commands out to an external device (in your case the Helix).  I would wager if you google 'sending midi out from Reaper' there's bound to be some instructional videos out there and that's where I'd start.  As far as Helix specific MIDI capabilities here's a great online guide that's kept up to date consistently.

If all you want to do is change presets you just need a simple set of commands (1 PC and 1 CC) at the beginning of each song that selects the appropriate preset.  If you want you can then continue to have the same track make snapshot or footswitch activations through the course of the song.  I don't personally know of any utilities that will automatically record MIDI automation tracks, but if you wanted to do that you'd have to program the Helix to actually send them outbound since it doesn't do that kind of thing by default.  That's as much, if not more work, than just putting them into a MIDI out track by hand.

https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/midi

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2023 at 4:34 AM, gergoretvari said:

Hello there!

Thanks in advance!

Create a separate track for MIDI. Set the INPUT to MIDI>Line6 Helix>All Channels.

In the Routing section for the MIDI track set a "MIDI Hardware Output" to Line6 Helix>Send to Original Channels.

In Helix Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo set:

MIDI Thru = OFF (during recording, to prevent a MIDI Loop)

MIDI Over USB = ON

MIDI PC Receive = ON

MIDI PC Send = ON

Snapshot CC Send = ON

To test just arm the MIDI track, start RECORD and hit some switches. At the bottom of the MIDI track you'll see the MIDI events appear as they happen.

Stop, SAVE, Playback - Helix should change as recorded.

To record a performance, just repeat the steps as above.

You can also add MIDI events manually:

On a new MIDI Track, Select the MIDI Track

Click INSERT, Insert New MIDI Item

Drag the new MIDI Item to the beginning of the Track and drag the end to set the length (or right-click, select Item Properties and fill out the dialog).

Right click the new MIDI Item

Select "Open in Built-in MIDI Editor"

Select the third Icon from the left

Double-click the first line and fill in the dialog as required.

If you're editing a pre-recorded track, just skip the part about creating a new MIDI item.

Double-click the point where you want to edit or insert a new event and fill out the dialog as required.

Don't forget to SAVE early and often!

• Upvote 3