Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Linking speaker cabs on the HX Stomp.

patriot2006

If I link two speaker cabinets and attempt to change a parameter I was under the impression that both cabs would be changed by the parameter selected. This is not happening. If I select link and choose a cab both sides will end up with the same cabinet but I have to set parameters for each cabinet separately. Is thi correct or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

On 3/9/2023 at 1:19 PM, patriot2006 said:

If I link two speaker cabinets and attempt to change a parameter I was under the impression that both cabs would be changed by the parameter selected. This is not happening. If I select link and choose a cab both sides will end up with the same cabinet but I have to set parameters for each cabinet separately. Is thi correct or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

Hi,

Check your Global Settings > Preferences.

From the Release Notes:

With Cab > Dual blocks, you can now also choose whether changing the first cab automatically recalls a matching cab for the second.

1. From the Global Settings menu, select the Preferences page.
  2. Press PAGE> until you see Link Dual Cabs. When set to "On" (default), changing the first cab automatically loads a matching cab for the second. Choose this option if you want to emulate the sound of two different mics (or two of the same mic with different angles or positions) on the same cab. When set to "Off," both cabs are completely independent of one another.
  3. Alternatively, in HX Edit (and Helix Native), click the Link Dual Cabs icon. Off (left) and On (right):

ITRW, you could set up a pair of identical, (or completely different) speaker cabs - 4x12 Greenback 25s for example. On the first you want a Shure SM57 about an inch from the grille aimed at the cone,  and on the second you have a Royer 121 Ribbon about 5 inches back from the front of the cab and nearer the speakers edge. Now you can blend the 2 signals to create a more distinctive sound. Generally there’s not  a great deal of point in having the second cab mimic the exact settings of the first.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

Edited by datacommando
Added Release Note

On 3/9/2023 at 6:19 AM, patriot2006 said:

Thanks for your help,

Rich

That is correct. There's no point having dual cabs if you're going to set them both the same, and this allows you to set different mics, distances, delay etc.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I was watching a you tube video and the guy said that if you link the dual speakers you can make simultaneous adjustments if you chose to. I don't remember who it was. This leads to another question. Why would I want to link the cabinets?

On 3/10/2023 at 1:40 PM, patriot2006 said:

Thanks, I was watching a you tube video and the guy said that if you link the dual speakers you can make simultaneous adjustments if you chose to. I don't remember who it was. This leads to another question. Why would I want to link the cabinets?

Hi,

In this video, Jason covers linking and unlinking cabs at around 1.28

In this video, Steve explains setting up 3 of his “go to” dual cabs.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1