Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Thoughts on acoustic guitars and catalyst amps?

Moxy1972

Like any other guitar amp, the Catalyst isn't ideal for reproducing acoustic instruments because of 2 things:

1. the preamp in the Catalyst is replicating classic guitar amplifiers which mold the frequencies to create electric tones the designers had in mind. IOW, the frequency response isn't accurate, which is what you want when reproducing acoustic tones.
  2. the speaker in the Catalyst isn't flat response, and has a limited high frequency response which makes acoustic instruments sound dull and muddy. 

That said, you can try using the Clean Amp and tweak the tone controls to get the best possible sound, but you'd do better by going directly into your PA system when playing acoustic. If you can't do that, personally I'd just play the acoustic parts on the electric and use the neck pickup. YMMV

On 3/10/2023 at 8:46 AM, Moxy1972 said:

What’s your thoughts or experiences with using an acoustic guitar as part of your set up for live gigs with catalyst amps? Half the set is on an electric guitar and I’m only using one amp!

One of the members at TGP said he plugged his acoustic guitar through the FX Loop and used clean with a little reverb and chorus and it sounded pretty good.  He may have adjusted a few settings in the edit software, I cant remember.  I have not tried it yet, but I need to .

Check the Catalyst amp post over there.