Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Faulty Helix?

w4lls

Hi there,

First post is always when there is a problem lol. Bought a used Helix, tested it at the sellers house with guitar only and monitors (no USB / audio interface tests).

Helix floor is connected to PC via USB, XLR to monitors, new cables etc.

Guitar > guitar in, and audio from PC over USB > Helix > Monitors via XLR; after a few minutes of playing I initially get some stuttering audio, then no audio at all.

Restarts dont help, only thing that helps is upgrading firmware or regressing firmware, works for a few minutes then no audio again.

Tried 4 or 5 firmwares with 9 & 10 factory reset after each firmware installation, different USB cables, different USB ports, only USB 2 ports etc.

If anyone has any assistance, that would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers!

Leigh.

I would disconnect the USB completely to eliminate that level of complexity. Test all the outputs, and even test the Sends, Returns and headphones.  If you still have issues, I'd be getting in touch with the seller. 

If it works fine then the problem is limited to the USB and/or the computer configuration. Obviously if you are able to re-install firmware the USB communication is working.

• Like 1

Thanks for both replies.

Seems to be more when the usb is connected and playing audio from pc to monitors via Helix. Although when it happens, if I disconnect the usb there is still no audio until I do a firmware update / downgrade.

Was on win11, rolled back to win10 last night to rule any os issues out. Only thing running on my pc is helix edit and spotify.

I'll do some more testing. :)

I assume you are using the latest version of HX Edit to perform the firmware update, hence also installing the latest Line 6 USB Driver. If not, try that.

If that fails I expect it's a hardware issue with your used Helix. Open a support ticket.

• Like 1

I've had my Helix USB Audio drop out occassionally but I've always been able to fix it by de-selecting the Helix USB audio on my PC and go to my internal PC soundcard, then re-connect to the Helix driver.  That seems to fix things up for me.  You might try that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Also try disabling your PC's security software suite. Some have proven to be problematic.

Overall, so long as you have thoroughly uninstalled from your PC all of the Line 6 software, and then after cold booting your PC, downloaded and installed a clean full copy of HX Edit and allowed it to fully install all of it's components, without any errors, your PC installation should be fine. Next, connect your Helix to your PC and launch HX Edit. It should recognize your Helix is connected, and allow you to install the latest firmware 3.50. Thereafter, if you disconnect your PC from your Helix and you encounter the original problem you depicted, there may well be a problem with your Helix unit. 

If you wish to manually install the firmware to your Helix, Line 6 Updater is what you would use. It provides the opportunity to specifically select the firmware version to install to your Helix unit. 

Post back how it goes. There are many here whom may be able to assist.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks for that.

This is pretty much what I have done, clean win 10 install, only got latest HX Edit and Updater installed.

Will try a manual installation offline this morning and test and report back.

Thanks again all. :)

Just done a firmware update in offline mode using latest updater, once completed I unplugged the USB and carried out a global reset 9 & 10 etc.

Powered the unit up whilst disconnected from PC, nothing - no audio from guitar into direct monitors. Tried various inputs, even reconnected the USB and still no audio from the PC. HX Edit will still control the unit, but no audio.

I've text the seller a couple of times, he replied last night saying he would get in touch today as he was at work all day yesterday.

Find it difficult to believe the unit has developed the fault in the 20 minutes I used it at home. Although the seller may not have known, as he told me he didnt use the USB when I asked when I viewed the unit. To be fair he had a Focusrite on his desk etc. Noticed the unit was on firmware 2.5 when I briefly tested it at his home, so when I got it home and setup, the first thing I did was upgrade to 3.5 then tried to use it, but I've had no use of the unit due to the no sound issue etc.

Will wait till he gets in touch today. I think it's fair to say the unit is faulty at this stage.

On 3/12/2023 at 1:28 PM, w4lls said:

Powered the unit up whilst disconnected from PC, nothing - no audio from guitar into direct monitors. Tried various inputs, even reconnected the USB and still no audio from the PC. HX Edit will still control the unit, but no audio.

Hi,

I realise that this may appear obvious, but I didn’t see a reply to the comment from @codamedia regarding headphones? Is there any audio present in the cans?

Also, there are level meters on both the input and output blocks - is there any trace of a signal being present in the path with no blocks between in and out?

You also said - “Noticed the unit was on firmware 2.5 when I briefly tested it…” According to the Release Notes for 3.50 firmware - it states:

My Helix/HX is at version X.XX. Can I go straight to 3.50?

Yes, but note that if you're starting from 2.80 or lower, the update may appear to happen three times and will take notably longer than 30 minutes. This is normal.

In all the mentions of upgrading and reverting of various firmware versions I haven’t seen a comment about the inordinate length of time each of the changes are taking. It may be that something is not quite right, because at v2.80 there was a major change to the Helix Core, and if that is not installed correctly it will undoubtedly cause issues.

Just for the hell of it, as it cannot really make matters any worse, I would suggest you try to install the 2.80 firmware including going through the (Boot Failure - Entered Update Mode) nail biting section without panicking, simply to ensure the new Core is installed and fully functional before moving on to the latest revision of HX Edit and Firmware.

Hope this helps/makes sense. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, w4lls said:

Went to 2.8, no audio, then went to 3.5, again no audio.

Seller not being very forthcoming so far on text messages either....

Hmm… this isn’t looking too good.

Regular users of this forum have become quite efficient at fixing the general problems that are brought into these discussions - flakey USB connections, bad power supplies and cables, user screw ups on firmware installations etc., but there comes a time when it appears the only real “fix it” is a qualified service technician.

Sorry that any of the suggestions posted here have failed to resolve the issue. This is probably one of those situations that requires someone to probe around inside the thing. 

Hope you manage to sort this out quickly and get on with playing with your Helix.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 7:35 PM, w4lls said:

No audio in headphones, no inputs, tried tuner, no inputs either.

This is enough to suspect a faulty unit.

The randomness could just be related to broken semiconductors conductance at the joints and in the body, that make them working when cold and dying when hot.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well, the buyer told me earlier that he didnt know about the USB fault as he used his Focusrite, and that I'm pretty much on my own.

Plausible, but highly irregular and difficult for me to accept it generated a fault from the back of my car to my desk, and within 20 minutes of being connected to my PC.

Another lesson learned.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

• Sad 1

On 3/14/2023 at 6:40 PM, w4lls said:

Well, the buyer told me earlier that he didnt know about the USB fault as he used his Focusrite, and that I'm pretty much on my own.

Plausible, but highly irregular and difficult for me to accept it generated a fault from the back of my car to my desk, and within 20 minutes of being connected to my PC.

Another lesson learned.

Again thanks for all the help guys.

Open a ticket and see what are your options at this stage. Could be just a joint failure or a bad connection, who knows without a proper diagnose.

Good luck.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2023 at 7:29 PM, w4lls said:

Yeah getting it shipped down to Milton Keynes for a diagnostic then hopefully a fix.

Cheers :)

I had E&M fix the joystick on my Helix floor - they were quick and efficient and a reasonable price.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't sent this off yet, was sat with a local electronics shop for four weeks but he didn't have time to look at it so I collected it.

Anyway, brought it back a couple of days ago and it's been working for a few hours no issues (so far). Even thought about updating to 3.6, but probs best not.

I'm suspecting it could potentially be working because its been sat cold for a month, and once the circuitry starts warming and being used etc...

Either way I'm waiting for it to fail, then will send it to E&M and just get it fixed.

In the event they need to replace boards (I've read someone else on here had similar issue and they replaced two boards I believe), anyone have any idea what cost I should expect? Just want to work out if the juice is worth the squeeze or just go for a new one.

Cheers.

On 4/29/2023 at 7:46 PM, w4lls said:

Haven't sent this off yet, was sat with a local electronics shop for four weeks but he didn't have time to look at it so I collected it.

Anyway, brought it back a couple of days ago and it's been working for a few hours no issues (so far). Even thought about updating to 3.6, but probs best not.

I'm suspecting it could potentially be working because its been sat cold for a month, and once the circuitry starts warming and being used etc...

Either way I'm waiting for it to fail, then will send it to E&M and just get it fixed.

In the event they need to replace boards (I've read someone else on here had similar issue and they replaced two boards I believe), anyone have any idea what cost I should expect? Just want to work out if the juice is worth the squeeze or just go for a new one.

Cheers.

Hi, again,

Damn that’s really annoying - leaving it parked up in the repair shop for all that time.

Your point about it being “cold for a month” may well be correct as it was suggested by @PierM in an earlier reply, when he said “The randomness could just be related to broken semiconductors conductance at the joints and in the body, that make them working when cold and dying when hot.”

Let the technicians have it and fix it! As for costs - well that’s definitely an unknown.

All I can do is wish you good luck with this one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:19 PM, w4lls said:

Still working lol.

Just setup with my Mesa 5 50 4CM & setup a load of snapshots and still going.

No usb connected.

Hmmmmm lol...

The first cause of Helix/HX problems is....user errors. :)

So it could be you were just missing something in your early attempts.

When we help over here, we always assume you are doing all right, and that your systems are properly setup, but every time there is USB involved, a lot of extra variables are playing in the game...

Fingercrossed. :)

• Like 1

On 4/30/2023 at 9:35 PM, w4lls said:

It's not that mate, I've had an LT, 2 Pod's, and a floor.

Fully expecting it to go bang shortly!

Maybe I will plug HX Edit back in over USB to speed things up!

Ouch...enjoy it while it lasts!

• Like 2