Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Considering upgrading from Pod GO to Helix LT...should I stay with what I have?.

hemzir

I've had my Pod GO for the last 2 and half years, and have been thoroughly impressed. I researched my needs before my Dec 2020 purchase of the Pod GO and have learned so much using the unit for worship and using the Pod GO Edit software. I'm considering upgrading from the POD GO to a Helix LT. Has anyone switched from the POD GO to the Helix LT? If so, what are your thoughts? Is there a learning curve between the 2? Were you pleased with the switch, or meh? Thanks in advance. 

You did your research, bought the device that you felt best met your needs, and have been thoroughly impressed. Why are you considering the upgrade? Have your needs changed? If there’s nothing specific you want to achieve with the upgrade I’d say you’re setting yourself up for a very ‘meh’ experience.

Interestingly there's quite a few Helix owners that have gone to Pod Go because their needs are simpler, they don't need all the extra LT features and they want a smaller, lighter unit.  

So you probably just need to have a think of your needs. 

Some potential LT advantages:

1. Dual routing so you can have 2 amps and 2 cabs

2. More processing power for longer effect chains

3. Command centre for greater flexibility to combine snapshots and stompbox modes.

4. All the latest upgrades in full immediately eg v3.5 includes the new cab engine ... we're not yet sure what Pod Go will get and when but hopefully Pod Go will at least be getting a variation of this.

5. All metal construction with a built in mains transformer so it just uses an amp/ kettle lead with no ugly wallwart. The Pod Go PSU is just plain awful and not gig worthy.

6. Greater flexibility with no fixed blocks 

7. 8 snapshots per patch

8. Greater connectivity options

9. More rugged, larger expression pedal

10. More footswitches

11. Capacitive touch sensitive foot switches to help you see and set up e.g. next patch without engaging it.

Some potential LT disadvantages:

1. More complexity and more things to learn about

2. Bigger, heavier unit

3. An LT is much more expensive. A new LT is over double the price of a Pod Go at getting close to £1,000. Even used LTs are £700 plus.

4. No fixed blocks may be more versatile but it potentially makes patch building more long winded because you are starting with a clean sheet every time, although you can create templates.   

5. Personally I much prefer the Pod Go colour screen with its nice solid graphics, and dislike the outline only graphics in LT. A lot of Helix users have commented similarly. 

6. All the extra features are great if you are going to use them, otherwise you  could be wasting your money. 

Only you can decide whether you need or would likely use the additional features and increased processing power. You then need to consider whether the extra cost for these extra features represent good value to you. 

Now, I'm not affiliated with Line 6 in any way. So even if you did need some of the LT extra features, you should also consider other non Line 6 solutions. The Boss GX100 offers a touch screen, more processing power, robust build, and dual routing. Its AIRD approach that combines IRs with amp.models is well regarded tonally. The Headrush MX5 and gig board are also good units.  There are always trade offs and pros and cons so you need to do your research, and it depends on your needs and budget. For example the GX100 and MX5 can be found new for half the cost of an LT. 

But there's also Line 6 Customer support to consider which in my experience is generally much better than most other manufacturer's. Line 6 also provide regular updates whereas many other providers can be a bit sparser here.

Gear prices are currently insane, in my view are unsustainable, and I'm not sure this is the best time to buy an LT.  Last year I could have picked up a pre-owned LT for £420 when a new LT could be found for £649. Even a used LT will currently be c£700. The world has gone mad!

Finally, 2023 NAMM is round the corner next month. I'd be inclined to see what's new first, and if that forces gear prices down to more sensible levels. 

But if having considered all of this, unless your needs have seriously changed the old adage that comes to mind is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  But being devils advocate, even if you think you don't need more, new features and extra power could open up a new world of tonal and functionality possibilities that once experienced you might wonder how you lived without them. 

So, it all depends on your needs, budget and perspective ...there's no common right or wrong answer here as it's going to be different for everyone. 

• Thanks 1