Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best way to test direct sound to PA at home

MayPRS

I'm programming patches on the Helix using phones but there's always a kind of "fizziness" to the sound that I can't hear in the physical amp (I'm using amp+cab block on the Helix - 4 CM).

What's the best way to program the presets for live use connected directly from XLR outs to a mixer? Connect to a audio interface (I have a Focusrite) and then using the phones connected to interface itself? I cannot use a powered FRFR speaker because of the noise in a apartment (neighbour).

Which method can give an almost "exact" live direct to mixer sound at home?

Many thanks!

There's no trick to sending direct to the mixer, so I'm assuming you're talking about simply hearing the preset at home in some accurate way.  It's really less about the audio interface and a LOT more about the headphones.  I very seldom ever do that, but in my case it's really just about a good pair of headphones with a fairly accurate representation of the sound.  BeyerDynamic DT770's have been a very popular choice and that's what I use ( 80 ohm version) and they come pretty close to what I use live on my PA which are Yamaha DXR12 speakers.  I also have the option of listening to my presets through a good pair of studio monitors (Yamaha HS7) as both my headphones and monitors are connected directly to my Helix floor.  Between the two I can get a fairly good feel for what it will sound like through the PA.

You can rest assured the 'fizziness' you speak of is there in your amp.  Just move your head in line with the center cone of the speaker and you'll hear it loud and clear.  Headphones probably emphasize it more as they aren't as susceptible to changes in what you're hearing based on where you're standing relative to the speaker.  But then neither are PA speakers generally.  A higher end pair of legitimate studio headphones will give you your best shot at getting a good representation.

• Thanks 1

I have learned over the years with different modelers what my headphones sound like in comparison to a typical PA type sound.  I design my presets with that in mind.  

I know my headphones are a bit muddy in the 150-300hz range, which dulls the treble/presence bite a bit.  However, if I make them sound good in my headphones they are like nails in a PA or even through my wedge for my own monitoring during shows.  I adjust for this and deal with the fact that my headphone practice presets are a little on the darker side typically.  Thus when I get to practice and go through the PA, I only have a few small tweaks to note down.  

I also create a few base preset type sounds (amp and cab only mostly) and try those out first.  Once I have those saved as favorites or user defaults then I know those are good reference points to compare anything new against as well using my above point.  

• Thanks 1

Try this simple experiment. Try putting a simple Hi Cut, Low Cut EQ block at the end of your block chain (or after your amp and cab/IR), roll off the high end starting at 4K, and then adjust up to see if there is a sweet spot through your PA that gets rid of the fizz without cutting too much high end off your guitar.

• Thanks 1

If you won't have a PA at home, then you can't replicate how your Helix will sound and interact with other instruments in the mix through a PA. 

You will never know what will happen until you go and run your Helix through a loud sound system in a club.  Professional bands rent out clubs in the off-hours on like Sunday Morning to tune their gear.  Us commoners just go and rent out a rehearsal space and run our Helix through a PA of the rehearsal space. 

Here's the kicker, every space has its own unique frequency spectrum, and with an identical PA system, identical mixing console... in each venue the sound guy may need to make drastic changes to your sound so you sound like yourself.

What is the best approach?  You gotta just do sound checks and adjust things in increments.  I've been using the Helix for 3+ years now.  Every other sound check we find something that can be further fine-tuned.  Heck, your entire life you are constantly fine-tuning what you are doing, and adjusting.  That's just how it is. 

Confused by what I said?  Start with building your sounds at home, then take them to the studio, then be prepared to further adjust your sounds at sound checks.  The fewer presets you have, the easier it is to adjust them.  Otherwise copy-paste those changes. 

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for all the replies.

I will probably schedule some time on the rehearsal room - and play it loud, adjusting as needed. Of course I'm prepared for the first gigs to make some adjustments on the fly for playing direct. I will still take plan B on the first gigs - my amp! I can test my amp at gig volumes on the rehearsal room - if it sounds like I want then it can just be mic'd by the sound guy, as I always do. Then I can experiment with playing direct - my goal is, as soon as I have that sweet spot, I can ditch the amp, at least for some smaller venues.

I still believe the first variable here, before any further overthinking and overcomplicated paths, are the headphones you are wearing. I don't know the freq response curve of your focusrite bundle model, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a very "coloured" HiFi curve.

I have two headphones that I trust even to do presets; BD 770 Pro 250 Ohm (if you need more juice, 80 Ohm is probably better), and Shure SRH840A 40 Omhs.

The 770 is probably the most "flattish" of the two, but the Shure starts earlier to move on the bass range, and has a little notch on the bright side, which I love for cleans. When I do presets with these two headphones, I do mostly need small adjustments on the fly when using cabs or FOH, or just when changing location and volumes (that's pretty normal and expected).

Of course depends on the base tone you use, but never had a "fizziness" issue with these headphones. If your base tone is some compressed modern HiGain, things are gonna be a bit more tricky to tame when using headphones for obvious reasons.

o/

• Thanks 1