Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Copying Jtv89 Custom 1 Models (mags) Doesn't Seem To Work

I noticed something quite strange yesterday and I'd like to know if someone else can reproduce the same issue.

First some context : For my band, I want to have 4 specific models on my JTV-89 applied to the Custom 2 bank (as the Custom 1 bank is currently locked with the models reproducing the variax mags - I tried, Workbench seem to write the models I want but when I refresh, the mags models are still there).

As I really like the mags models, I want to use the Neck and Bridge "mags" models (on slot 1 and 5) and 2 other models from the other banks (on slot 2 and 3).

The problem I encounter is that when I copy the variax mags models from custom 1 to custom 2 with Workbench, it seems to work properly, the name of the models are displayed in Workbench (even when I refresh ^^), but it doesn't sound like the mags models.

With everything set up exactly the same, with the same POD HD500 patch, if I switch from custom 1 - position 1 to custom 2 - position 1 (should be the same as I copied the model), the sound changes. I don't know which model it is, but it is definitely not the variax mags models. I suspect that it kept the previous model and just renamed it.

Anyone notice that ? Any workaround ? I really like the mags models :).

The high gain models in the Custom 1 bank are hard-coded there for now, so you can't copy them into any other locations or overwrite them with anything else yet. That should change in the future, but that's the way it is right now.

Of course of course ! Too bad the one I want to copy is locked :).

I'm just disappointed that I can't get the model I want right now. But that's what I'll do... I'll try to find a model I like or I'll create one. But I prefer to play than spending time on that :).

I used to use the POD HD500 + VDI to change the patches but after having several issues during rehearsals (patch changes not applied, tuning resets, i have a weird pop / scratchy / contact noise when plugged with the VDI and when I'm not playing...), I decided to drop the VDI as I find it not reliable enough, and play on battery with a regular cable and manual model switch. But that requires that the models are on the same bank in order to be easy enough to switch :).

It sounds as if you may have a bad VDI cable or perhaps less likely one of the VDI jacks is damaged. I would bet on the cable. There are a lot of people using the VDI connection successfully, and you shouldn't be having the issues you described.

(Note that I don't blame the Variax or Line 6 for my issues ^^).

I agree with you, it's probably the cable, but it is really difficult to find a VDI cable in France, at a reasonable price (I only find cable at the double of the Amazon.com price), as Line 6 won't ship it here, nor Amazon.

So if each cable last less that one year, it will be a huge money sink ! :).

But if anyone knows a retailer that sells them at reasonable price & ships them to France, I'm all ears !

Right now I like my new solution, it is simpler. I have less "live" patches and now all of them fit in one bank (as now I can use the same patch with several models), and no "communication" issues that could occur during live performance and ruin it.

Only drawback : I have to find new "high gain" variax models ! 

Eh eh, this is where it's funny : Line 6 created specific models (that reproduce the Variax mags), locked them on the Custom 1 bank, but until they release a proper update for the Variax & Workbench, those models can't be changed, copied, opened or edited.

AFAIK, Workbench doesn't support those models right now (can't open / use assets to create your own model based on these mags models). I didn't try though.

why would copying or moving them help you in anyway? why not just access them where they are?

now if you want to edit them... that's different... (although you can alt tune them, seeing as you "love them" why otherwise f$%^k with them? :) )

and as stated... i can confirm that the model are not editable or accessible in workbench....

Eh eh, this is where it's funny : Line 6 created specific models (that reproduce the Variax mags), locked them on the Custom 1 bank, but until they release a proper update for the Variax & Workbench, those models can't be changed, copied, opened or edited.

AFAIK, Workbench doesn't support those models right now (can't open / use assets to create your own model based on these mags models). I didn't try though.

Oh no I don't want to edit them, I'm just responding to Mr_Arkadin... I pretty satisfied with the existing ones.

And the reason why I'd like to copy them, is because I don't see myself playing something and mid-song looking at my buttons, turning the bank button to find the right one and moving the model switcher... Not really doable quickly :). I mostly use alternate models (12-string,...) for intros, but the song start right on the next bar, no time for that ! (and I prefer not to overwrite an existing model, so I only alter custom 1 & 2)

This is why I tried to copy the mags models or copy the alternate models I want to custom 1. And both failed.

So what I wanted to do is putting all the models I want in the same bank (custom 2), so I just need to move the model switcher.

But my initial question is answered. I wanted to have a confirmation that I can't copy the mags models, and it's not me doing something wrong.

I'll use another model until Line 6 release its update.