Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finally Upgrading to 3.50 on my Production Helix...now a question

DunedinDragon

I've had 3.50 running on my Studio Helix Floor pretty much since the release, but I haven't bothered to load it on my production/live performance Helix Floor until today.  Both my studio and performance PC are on the same Windows 10 release, but the studio is an USUS desktop and my performance is an ASUS Laptop.  I've run into this before and can work around it, but I can't quite figure out why it occurs only on the laptop.

When I do the download and run the HXEdit download/update it works fine on the desktop, but it has a problem saying it can't execute the HXEdit update on my laptop.  I have to stop the update, go to the HXEdit Update file that was downloaded and Run As Administrator to get it to install HXEdit so I can continue with the update.  It's not a big deal, just a nuisance but I was wondering if anyone else runs into this and if so did you find some permanent setting on the computer so this doesn't happen?

On 3/20/2023 at 3:19 PM, silverhead said:

Just a guess, but…. When you update, are you logged in to an Administrator account on your desktop and a regular user account on your laptop?

Nope Admin rights on both.  I actually don't have any user accounts on either.

Hi DunedinDragon,

I wonder if maybe, at some point along the way, you installed HX Edit on the laptop as administrator...meaning that an installer/updater that doesn't run as administrator can't overwrite it to update it. Dunno, that's just a guess! But have you tried completely *uninstalling* HX Edit and then reinstalling it on the laptop?

Also, I remember seeing your username on this forum for years long before I had ever heard of Dunedin, FL...and now I live 10 minutes from there and have actually played some gigs there this year (at the Honu, the Dunedin Woodwright, and the Rusty Lyon)!

On 3/20/2023 at 11:52 PM, mdmayfield said:

Hi DunedinDragon,

I wonder if maybe, at some point along the way, you installed HX Edit on the laptop as administrator...meaning that an installer/updater that doesn't run as administrator can't overwrite it to update it. Dunno, that's just a guess! But have you tried completely *uninstalling* HX Edit and then reinstalling it on the laptop?

Also, I remember seeing your username on this forum for years long before I had ever heard of Dunedin, FL...and now I live 10 minutes from there and have actually played some gigs there this year (at the Honu, the Dunedin Woodwright, and the Rusty Lyon)!

I guess I'll just have to dig in deeper into my user rights and make some comparisons between the computers.  The problem is it's just annoying and easily worked around so it's hardly worth any big investment in time.

Yeah Dunedin Woodwright is just down the street from me in walking distance.  I've had a couple of friends play down there.  It's a good little crowd.  Give me a heads up on your next gig down there and I'll try to drop by.

Yeah it sounds like one of those quirks that makes sense to just live with. I'm very used to those, as a regular Linux user :D

I'm actually playing there this coming Sunday, 2-5 - It would be fun to see you if you can make it!

On 3/22/2023 at 12:15 PM, mdmayfield said:

Yeah it sounds like one of those quirks that makes sense to just live with. I'm very used to those, as a regular Linux user :D

I'm actually playing there this coming Sunday, 2-5 - It would be fun to see you if you can make it!

Yeah I'll try to make it down there..if I don't fall asleep on my habitual Sunday afternoon nap.....