Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix DT25 L6 Link HX Edit

StephenSmiley777

Can you describe exactly what you mean by ‘the way the POD HD500X did’? Midi? L6 Link? Voicings? Call up builtin amp models? Parameter changes? What exactly is it you want to do?

Generally speaking you would want to use midi I think. Helix is not designed to communicate directly with the DT25 using L6 Link the way the HD500X is. Connect the Helix Midi Out to the DT25 Midi In, use the Helix Command Centre, and consult the DT25 Midi Implementation Guide for details.

Thank you for responding. Sorry i sound stupid. Just got Helix and was hoping it would configure tubes and channels like POD did. SO would i have to build a preset and configure everything manually and then save settings in preset and it would automatically configure and choose proper channel? Been trying to read everything but its a bit confusing for me.

Thanks again!

Stephen

No need to apologize. You don’t sound stupid by any stretch. And your instinct is right. Yes, you do need to configure things manually using presets.

The POD HD500X and its editor were designed to use L6 Link to provide communications between the POD device and a DT amp. The editor provided a direct map/view of the DT amp controls to let the user configure the appropriate MIDI commands to send to the POD device without needing to know the MIDI command details. MIDI was being used; you just didn’t see it and didn’t need to know it.

That is not the case with Helix devices. HX Edit does not provide this DT25 map/view, and does not use L6 Link. However, the Helix device and the HX Edit program do provide the Command Centre, which can easily be used to control the DT25 in the same way that the POD did. The only difference is that you need to know the specific MIDI commands to configure; it’s no longer hidden from you. And you need MIDI cables, not an L6 Link cable. You will need the DT MIDI Implementation Guide as well as the Helix device manual (see Support -> Manuals).

Some time ago I wrote a little guide to help users like yourself (more specific my son-in-law!) control the DT amps using a Helix device. I’ve attached it here for your convenience. If you’re already familiar with using MIDI it won’t be too difficult to understand. If MIDI is new to you there will be a learning curve - but it’s a MIDI curve, not a Line 6 curve.

Don’t hesitate to come back with questions.

HX:DT - ReadMe.docx

You're welcome. I hope you find it useful.

Since you're coming from a POD HD500X with DT25 setup I presume you are familiar with 4CM? It's important that you use either a modeled Helix amp OR your DT25 amp's preamp section at any given time, not both simultaneously. If you're not familiar with 4CM please read the Helix manual's section about it and ask if you have further questions.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:03 AM, silverhead said:

.... HX Edit does not provide this DT25 map/view, and does not use L6 Link. However, the Helix device and the HX Edit program do provide the Command Centre, which can easily be used to control the DT25 in the same way that the POD did. The only difference is that you need to know the specific MIDI commands to configure; it’s no longer hidden from you. And you need MIDI cables, not an L6 Link cable. You will need the DT MIDI Implementation Guide as well as the Helix device manual (see Support -> Manuals).

I really don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the above. It is dead wrong. Helix does indeed have the L6 Link technology and HX Edit does provide a direct mapping to control a DT amp. It should work pretty much like the HD500 did.

Sorry for any confusion I caused.

oh man i just saw this! First off, thank you so much for coming back and keeping me in the loop! I use MAC and the DT edit software isn't available only on PC. I ordered MIDI cables but there aren't supposed to arrive until this weekend. So are you saying that i don't need MIDI just my L6 Link? Thank you again for your continued help!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hi Stephen.

I've travelled the same journey as you. I had a HD500X for many years, then got a Helix LT and a DT25. Get yourself an AES/EBU cable (also sometimes called a 3 pin DMX cable). They look just like XLR mic cables, but are digital. XLR cables just give you lots of interference so don't use them. If you connect your Helix to your DT25 using this cable in the Line6 Link sockets you get to control the DT25 with the Helix. In practice this means you get any of the pre-amps in the Helix and the Helix will also configure your DT25 power valve settings along with it. Make sure that the amps you use in your Helix patches are the pre-amp models, not the amp models. Your DT25 provides the power amp and cab, you just need the pre-amp. If you go through the amp settings in Helix, go past biasx, sag etc and you'll find a page with DT amp settings.

I also made an IR of the DT25 and I put that at the end of a second path, just before the Helix XLR out so I have a version of my amp going to the mixer for monitors and front of house. My band mates say the guitar sound in their in-ears sounds just like my amp in the room. Here's the link to the IRs if you'd like them: 

Let me know if you need more details on how to do this.

I honestly don't think there's a better system out there. Helix with DT25 makes my amp sound like anything I can imagine and it is a real amp in the room.