Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Free Update: v1.2.1 of "The Big Book of Helix Tips& Tricks" Now Available

craiganderton

The free update for owners of previous versions is now available from Sweetwater. Here's what's new in v1.2:

• 459 pages (91 more pages than v1.1)
  • 337 Presets and files (over 100 more than v1.1), including new presets for Poly Block low tuning, bass, bi-amp processing, EQ-based cabs, combi-band processing, and 82 new multiband presets for Helix 4-path devices
  • Extensive analysis of all the new cabs and mics in v3.50, with frequency response curves and performance summaries
  • Coverage of the new effects blocks in Helix 3.50: Pillars OD, Vita Dist, Vita Boost, 4-Voice Chorus, Flexovibe, Dynamic Ambience, Boctaver
  • New section on Send/Return block applications
  • Expanded bi-amping chapter
  • Surround sound and multi-channel audio configurations with Helix

I hope you find it helpful!

1048027947_ScaledHelixBookCoverv1.2.jpg.c356a388f1483185f196009353f8084e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:25 PM, brue58ski said:

91 more pages?!?! Well that's just great! More homework!.  :D

Haha! It does seem kind of scary, doesn't it? But I figure with an electronic book that doesn't have constraints on page count or 4-color illustrations, it's worth having a layout where you don't have to squint to see what the images show :) Quite a few people download my books to tablets, so they can read along while doing things on a computer.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/30/2023 at 3:33 PM, MayPRS said:

Is it available for non-US residents? Can I buy the e-book from Sweetwater or there's some kind of region restriction to US buyers only?

I'm based in the UK, and bought the original version via Sweetwater, who then emailed a link for the download. 

I am just in the process of unzipping the latest update which I accessed using the old link - simple!

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, datacommando said:

I'm based in the UK, and bought the original version via Sweetwater, who then emailed a link for the download. 

I am just in the process of unzipping the latest update which I accessed using the old link - simple!

Thanks. I thought that was the case but there are some US sites that, according to our location, prevents purchases.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 5:19 PM, MayPRS said:

Thanks. I thought that was the case but there are some US sites that, according to our location, prevents purchases.

Hi,

That appears to have been the situation at one point, but in the previous thread someone commented about not being able to create an account because they were based in Italy. It seems that you don't need an account to purchase the ebook, but as noted keep a copy of the download code available for the free updates.

See page 2 (Sweetwater's reply to Craig A about downloads) in the older thread here:

I'm glad y'all are enjoying the update!! Datacommando is correct, the way to get the update is just to download with the original link. (If you didn't save the email that arrived when you bought the book, the code to access the link is in your Sweetwater account.)

I did want to mention that almost all the presets have been redone to take advantage of the new cabs (even if the name is the same as a preset from a previous version). The ones that don't have cabs are pretty much the same. In particular, the multiband presets in the Chapter 9 free files folder are not only new, but also cover amps that were added after my original Multiband Preset Pack was introduced. So, they help fill out that collection. The Chapter 9 files also has a setlist of the 82 new "amp replacement" presets, so you can load the setlist and audition them easily from the Helix library.  

Finally, let me remind you there's a dedicated support forum at MusicPlayer.com for the Sweetwater books. If you have any questions about updating etc., or there are sections that aren't clear, that's the place to go. Suggestions for future updates are also welcome. Finally, any errata will be posted there, in the first post. 

Thanks again for your support! Given how much effort it takes to put these eBooks together, it's really gratifying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/30/2023 at 9:32 PM, dankleiner said:

I copied the activation code from my original online invoice. I pasted it into the web browser, and it says “404. Contact your sales representative.”

If you contact whoever you deal with at Sweetwater, they'll take care of you. Tell 'em I sent you :) 

If there are further problems, I'll step in. But if that's necessary, I'll need a couple more pieces of information: did you buy the original 1.0 version, or did you start with 1.1? If you started with 1.0, did you successfuly download the 1.1 update?

The reason I ask is there were some issues early on in getting the updating process nailed down. They had to make some backend changes to allow people to download free updates. 

Bear in mind I am not a Sweetwater employee and do not work there, so you'll need to go through "official channels." But some other people had this problem, and Sweetwater resolved it for everyone so far.

Craig

@craiganderton if possible, is there any way to restore the Table of Contents data when you generate the PDF? I notice that the TOC isn't generated anymore, it was in 1.1, see the attached screenshot. This is using Skim PDF reader v1.6.15 on macOS 11.7.4 if that matters. I also noticed this same issue with your latest Huge Book of S1 Tips & Tricks v1.4 update vs. the prior edition.

PDF-TOC_comparison.jpg

• Confused 1

I think it may depend on which PDF reader you use. The eBooks are optimized for Adobe Acrobat, because it's so common. In the sidebar on the left side, you can choose between a thumbnail view (as you show above for v1.2) or a bookmarks view, which has a hierarchical structure that lets you unfold and chapter heading to drill down. I don 't know if the Skim reader reacts similarly. However, if you open the PDF in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, you have the same two options for thumbnails or a hierarchical view.

I also don't know how many readers have a memory stack when you jump to a link, so you  can return to where you were. I haven't yet run into a limit as to how far back Acrobat can go, but it makes it easy to jump around to different parts of the eBook. Neither Edge nor Chrome can do this, as far as I can tell.

I appreciate your brining this up, as I can include more detailed instructions in future books about the different views available in PDF readers. Thanks!

On 4/1/2023 at 5:57 PM, hungri-yeti said:

@craiganderton if possible, is there any way to restore the Table of Contents data when you generate the PDF? I notice that the TOC isn't generated anymore, it was in 1.1, see the attached screenshot. This is using Skim PDF reader v1.6.15 on macOS 11.7.4 if that matters. I also noticed this same issue with your latest Huge Book of S1 Tips & Tricks v1.4 update vs. the prior edition.

PDF-TOC_comparison.jpg

Hi,

According to the info shown on the download page of Skim v.1.6.15 it is possible to navigate using table of contents or thumbnails, with visual history.

The clue is in the screenshot pictures you provided.

Note: at the top of the left hand column on the picture of version 1.2 of the book you can see that it is set to view that column as pages - the icon is highlighted in grey and it is thumbnail view. Compare that with the second picture where the high lighted icon at the top of the left hand column is the “hamburger” style table of contents list view.

But you knew that - right? Check the date - April 1st.

On 4/1/2023 at 12:47 PM, craiganderton said:

I think it may depend on which PDF reader you use. The eBooks are optimized for Adobe Acrobat, because it's so common. In the sidebar on the left side, you can choose between a thumbnail view (as you show above for v1.2) or a bookmarks view, which has a hierarchical structure that lets you unfold and chapter heading to drill down. I don 't know if the Skim reader reacts similarly. However, if you open the PDF in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome, you have the same two options for thumbnails or a hierarchical view.

Tried it in macos Chrome, Adobe Reader, iOS Books, iOS Files app, always the same: my copy of the v1.1 PDF shows a TOC/bookmarks list, v1.2 doesn't. It's the file. I downloaded it from the sweetwater link just a few days ago, would that make any difference?

On 4/1/2023 at 6:58 PM, hungri-yeti said:

Tried it in macos Chrome, Adobe Reader, iOS Books, iOS Files app, always the same: my copy of the v1.1 PDF shows a TOC/bookmarks list, v1.2 doesn't. It's the file. I downloaded it from the sweetwater link just a few days ago, would that make any difference?

You have indeed found an issue, and thank you for bringing this to my attention! For some reason, the default on Word's PDF Export was not set to generate bookmarks from headings. I double-checked the setting, re-exported the file, and now the headings show up properly.

I'll create a hotfix update and send it to Sweetwater. They'll probably have it up by Monday. Try downloading the file again, and check that the version number on page 2 is version 1.2.1. It should then work as expected.

Good catch!

Update: I sent v1.2.1 to Sweetwater. They're really fast about turnarounds, so it should be posted on Monday.

@hungri-yeti - I tested v1.2.1 with Skim v1.6.15 on the Mac, and it worked as expected. I also tested it on other readers. Thanks again for catching this! It's odd...every revision (and there were a lot of them) up to the final version worked as expected. I'm not sure why the default changed for the final export, but I'll add it to my list of QC checks before sending files.

• Thanks 1

• craiganderton changed the title to Free Update: v1.2.1 of "The Big Book of Helix Tips& Tricks" Now Available

Sweetwater has posted version 1.2.1, which fixes the problem with the sidebar index showing only thumbnails. I gotta hand it to them for getting on this so fast!! It might take a little bit for any caches to refresh, but it's there.

If you've already downloaded v1.2, then download it again for the version with the hotfix. If you haven't downloaded or purchased 1.2 yet, you'll receive version 1.2.1 when you do.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 1:53 PM, craiganderton said:

Sweetwater has posted version 1.2.1, which fixes the problem with the sidebar index showing only thumbnails. I gotta hand it to them for getting on this so fast!! It might take a little bit for any caches to refresh, but it's there.

If you've already downloaded v1.2, then download it again for the version with the hotfix. If you haven't downloaded or purchased 1.2 yet, you'll receive version 1.2.1 when you do.

That did the trick, thank you!

While I have your attention, your Studio One book v1.4 also seems to have the same mis-configuration.

On 4/2/2023 at 5:36 PM, hungri-yeti said:

That did the trick, thank you!

While I have your attention, your Studio One book v1.4 also seems to have the same mis-configuration.

Indeed, noted from your previous post and that will be addressed this week. I just figured this was a priority - the Studio One book contents is pretty just individual items, it doesn't drill down into subheads like the Helix book.

And while I have everyone's attention...remember there's a dedicated support forum for all my Sweetwater books. I really appreciate being able to interact in this forum, but not every person on this forum has the book (at least, not yet, LOL) and I don't want to overstay my welcome. Any errata will be posted in that forum, and suggestions for future revisions are welcome.

On 4/2/2023 at 8:19 PM, craiganderton said:

Indeed, noted from your previous post and that will be addressed this week. I just figured this was a priority - the Studio One book contents is pretty just individual items, it doesn't drill down into subheads like the Helix book.

And while I have everyone's attention...remember there's a dedicated support forum for all my Sweetwater books. I really appreciate being able to interact in this forum, but not every person on this forum has the book (at least, not yet, LOL) and I don't want to overstay my welcome. Any errata will be posted in that forum, and suggestions for future revisions are welcome.

Bookmarked, thank you again! Really digging these books, they're very helpful & informative.

• 2 months later...

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the book, and for the free update!

There does seem to be an issue, however: Sweetwater's original download links no longer work, and I've been trying to get them to give me a working download link for the update for nearly a month.

I doubt it...but is there anything at all that can be done from your end? I realize it's not a huge chunk of money, and I could just re-buy it, but when I originally bought it in Dec 2021 I had the exact same issue, and it took a few weeks to get them to provide a valid link then as well. I seriously doubt re-buying it now will be any different...plus times are tough bla bla bla.

Again, thank you for this amazing resource, and regardless of if you're able to do anything or not, I thought I should flag this for other customers who bought this and may be having similar issues so it can be resolved.

Cheers from Montreal!

~zN

• 3 months later...
On 3/29/2023 at 8:04 PM, craiganderton said:

The free update for owners of previous versions is now available from Sweetwater. Here's what's new in v1.2:

• 459 pages (91 more pages than v1.1)
  • 337 Presets and files (over 100 more than v1.1), including new presets for Poly Block low tuning, bass, bi-amp processing, EQ-based cabs, combi-band processing, and 82 new multiband presets for Helix 4-path devices
  • Extensive analysis of all the new cabs and mics in v3.50, with frequency response curves and performance summaries
  • Coverage of the new effects blocks in Helix 3.50: Pillars OD, Vita Dist, Vita Boost, 4-Voice Chorus, Flexovibe, Dynamic Ambience, Boctaver
  • New section on Send/Return block applications
  • Expanded bi-amping chapter
  • Surround sound and multi-channel audio configurations with Helix

Now this is interesting. Of course, such information will be useful for everyone who is interested in this. But I would like to find this book in a store and read it in paper form. Recently I just studied childhood obesity in an online format, and I like it, but everything gets boring over time. Now I want to feel the cover of the book in my hands. So to speak, enjoy it.

I hope you find it helpful!

1048027947_ScaledHelixBookCoverv1.2.jpg.c356a388f1483185f196009353f8084e.jpg

Now this is interesting. Of course, such information will be useful for everyone who is interested in this. But I would like to find this book in a store and read it in paper form. 

On 9/21/2023 at 8:11 AM, connorball1h said:

Now this is interesting. Of course, such information will be useful for everyone who is interested in this. But I would like to find this book in a store and read it in paper form. 

A printed paper version will soon be out of date because a new online edition follows every Helix firmware update. However, you can of course bring the pdf file to your local printing service shop and pay to get your paper form.

Actually, the latest version available is Version 1.3.

Use your Sweetwater download URL and it will provide access to the latest version.

Then take the PDF to your local business supply or similar store for them to print a full hardcopy, should you want that.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:11 AM, connorball1h said:

But I would like to find this book in a store and read it in paper form. 

As a long-time author, I understand the appeal of being able to hold something in your hand that's not electronic! :)  As mentioned, you can have it printed out. However, note that part of the package is over 300 presets, and the only way to make those available was as a download.

Another consideration is that it's not economically feasible to print and ship a 450+ page book with so many 4-color illustrations for $19.95. Certainly, it would not be possible to offer free updates, and I think that's important when a product continues to evolve. I wouldn't want people to buy the book and then two months later there's a Helix update, so they feel they wasted their money. That's an ongoing problem with technology-oriented books, so this is my attempt to solve that problem. Hopefully it's a good enough solution for most people.

However, you're not the first person who's wanted a printed version. If there's enough demand, I'll check whether there are any viable custom publishing options for small quantities. In any case, I definitely appreciate the feedback!

• Upvote 1

I'm seeing quotes of around $27/book with the current format and page count, using inexpensive paper, least expensive binding, and standard ink. But the cost adds up fast when you include shipping from the publishing house to Sweetwater, shipping from Sweetwater to the customer, the cost of inventory and tracking a separate edition of the book, and at least a nominal profit. With print, there's still the question of how to get presets to the readers, how to handle the free updates, and there have been a couple books where I did free hotfixes a couple weeks after the release. Future versions are only going to have more pages and presets :)

However, the eBook is compatible with tablets and Kindle, so that might be a solution for those who want the advantages of a PDF and the "sort of" look and feel of a book.

I'd never say "never," but a traditional print book seems pretty impractical at this point. Maybe if the book sold in the thousands there would be sufficient economies of scale, but I doubt the Helix book is going to make the New York Times best-seller list anytime soon. Hmmm...maybe there's some way to turn it into a romance novel... :)

• Upvote 1

If it means that much to you -

Inkjet printer, ream of A4, several spare cartridges...

My Grandfather used to own a printing business... I'd be willing to bet that it'd be cheaper to 'do it yourself' than what would be a reasonable retail price for a professionally produced book - even if you don't own an inkjet printer to begin with.

Last time I had some pdfs printed out at a local print service, it was something like 12p per page. That'd be about £55 ($67 US) for just an A4 paper print.

If you want an idea of how much you'd have to pay for it in a book format, get on Amazon and look up Burst Believers or the PAF Myths & Reality books, and bare in mind they don't have 450+ pages. 

Go to your local university library/printing service and ask them for a quote. They are regularly printing PhD/Masters theses of several hundred pages without charging insane commercial prices for it.

Also to cut costs, I would split the pdf in two - one with the pages you absolutely need in colour, one with the pages you are fine to have b&w, ask for a printout of both, take it home and organise the pages into the correct order, then bring it back to them for binding. 

There's a lot of colour in the book, but I'd say the majority of it is not necessary in print.