Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst abandoned already? Sale prices everywhere and no updates...

stumblinman

Hey all, been a while.  Got tired of lugging other more expensive (and heavy) amps around for practices with multiple bands and so I picked up a Catalyst 100 about 6 months ago or more to use as a disposable practice amp. Almost immediately I realized it's unusable live due to the consistently poor channel switch latency, so I've been using pedals ever since to make up for this deficiency.  Also, the trim around the knobs immediately came loose and I had to super glue it multiple times to get it to stay. Anyone know why they haven't tried to update this to address the latency issue? After seeing it on sale all over the place, I'm beginning to think they've already abandoned this series.  The forums don't seem too active either, which doesn't bode well for the future. Zero firmware updates plus sale prices equal bad news.  It's a shame because it has some decent tones. Anyone got the skinny on any GOOD news about the Catalyst?

Edit: Went back to look at when I bought it, it was April of last year.  Almost a year in now. Time flies!

Yeah it has a decent enough speaker. Just really hoped they would fix the shortcomings at some point. It works well as a pedal platform too. I guess it’s my own fault for expecting more.

For the money it gets loud enough though, so that’s a positive

• 3 months later...

On the issue of the surround falling off, use 3M Auto Trim adhesive tape to secure it back after cleaning the surfaces with alcohol and scraping off any remaining pieces of the plastic lugs that broke off from both the plastic and the surface of the amp.  The trim tape has a very thin foam layer which helps it take temperature changes and impact very well, just like car trim. Its very gummy so trim it with razor or x-acto knife not scissors.  Its good for all kinds of music related stuff so you'll use the roll again. ;-) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2023 at 4:27 AM, hevimental said:

Currently, I only use it as a cab for a small tube amplifier. 

I rarely used presets mainly from manual settings.

Can you tell me how you have this setup?  I have a Blues Jr clone but the speaker is just okay and thought about doing this as well.

On 30.07.2023 at 17:40, BSByrdman said:

Możesz mi powiedzieć jak masz tą konfigurację? Mam klona Blues Jr, ale głośnik jest po prostu w porządku i pomyślałem o zrobieniu tego.

Unplug the Catalyst from the power supply. Connect the cable from the Blues Jr amplifier directly to the terminals on the back of the Catalyst speaker.

• Like 1