Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Latest regarding Pod Go v1.50

voxman55

This is from The Gear Page 26th March

Re Helix DSP savings with the new cab engine in Helix v3.5, the DSP's hardware accelerated IR convolution is already in use in POD Go.  In other words Pod Go is already maximising how DSP is used so there are no savings to be made & basically everything is pretty locked in and set regardless what Line 6 do.  

From Digital Igloo:  " Agreed, but it's trickier getting them into POD Go. Unfortunately, we may end up having to drop Helix/HX 3.60 before POD Go 1.50, but rest assured we're working on it.  "

So it seems Pod Go v1.50 is still likely to be quite some months away yet. 

• Like 1

Ha..   As a reminder, what were the big 3.5 upcoming changes again?  Dual cabs?  Were these likely go to in the go?

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helix-350-release-notes-r1003/

Some new Moon Amp, couple effects, I'd be mostly interested in "Dynamic Ambience (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original ambience reverb. At less extreme settings can be used to "open up" the sound of your amp without applying a notable reverb effect. Also utilizes less DSP than other Dynamic reverbs."

In the meanwhile, does anybody know of good dual cab IRs?  Think I've read about'em, but haven't really gotten a set of them, if they exist...  Might be a good compromise in the meanwhile, if the dual cabs ever get released to Go..!

Thanks for the info!

Meh... Seems a bit bland...  Really like a more subtle / low CPU option;  like something you'd put on a patch where you don't really want to hear a reverb but do want a reverb so it doesn't sound dry...   In my experience, the fancy reverbs eat the DSP, but looking at the DSP usage, even the cheaper ones are 13.19%, so yeah even these are a bit expensive, if it's much cheaper than that..  Might unlock other previously impossible combinations..

But looking at Helix %, it's 13.33%, so compared to those same reverbs, they're showing 6.55% for Helix, so basically, it won't be cheaper, it'll be twice the cost of most reverbs, but being dynamic reverb, it'll probably have better quality.  So it's really not a cheap option...   Well not cheap as per saving DSP for reverbs, but cheap as per a a cheap 'dynamic' reverb...   So yeah, I'm back to "Meh"...

On 4/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, grdGo33 said:

Ha..   As a reminder, what were the big 3.5 upcoming changes again?  Dual cabs?  Were these likely go to in the go?

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helix-350-release-notes-r1003/

Some new Moon Amp, couple effects, I'd be mostly interested in "Dynamic Ambience (Mono, Stereo), Line 6 Original ambience reverb. At less extreme settings can be used to "open up" the sound of your amp without applying a notable reverb effect. Also utilizes less DSP than other Dynamic reverbs."

In the meanwhile, does anybody know of good dual cab IRs?  Think I've read about'em, but haven't really gotten a set of them, if they exist...  Might be a good compromise in the meanwhile, if the dual cabs ever get released to Go..!

Thanks for the info!

It's a whole new cab engine with IR's. Major sonic improvement by all reports from Helix users. 

On 4/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, voxman55 said:

It's a whole new cab engine with IR's. Major sonic improvement by all reports from Helix users. 

Over the regular cabs I guess?  "Thousands of impulses were captured with Sound Design's all new IR capture system and consolidated into 20 guitar cabs and 4 bass cabs.".  Sounds like yeah they're 'selling' IRs as configurable 'cabs'; as in; you're basically end up using an IR when using the cabs...

Guess it's good for people who were using the current cabs...  But I'm guessing that if you're already using IRs, you won't gain much by going 'new' IR cab, maybe tweakability vs simple IRs.

What would be really interesting is if they brought the dual cabs to the Go, but I'm guessing this takes advantage of the Helix dual paths, unless, they were built in the new IR cab system, but yeah I don't think so, as that would exponentially increase the number of required IRs...

a screenshot of a computer

So yeah I guess the only way to get dual cabs in Go would be using IRs, as it very likely won't be included in Go?

I've really not seen many dual IRs packs/downloads...  But maybe they wouldn't be too difficult to generate via Audacity or the such?  If IRs are simple .wavs, generating a dual cab IR would simply be adding the two waves together and then halving amplitude?   You'd basically get the average of both IRs.  If you wanted, you could also mix 60/40 or 70/30 % for left/right channels, which might give interesting stereo results.

Am I misunderstanding the concept of IRs or wouldn't this be incredibly interesting for Pod Go users?

On 4/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, grdGo33 said:

Over the regular cabs I guess?  "Thousands of impulses were captured with Sound Design's all new IR capture system and consolidated into 20 guitar cabs and 4 bass cabs.".  Sounds like yeah they're 'selling' IRs as configurable 'cabs'; as in; you're basically end up using an IR when using the cabs...

Guess it's good for people who were using the current cabs...  But I'm guessing that if you're already using IRs, you won't gain much by going 'new' IR cab, maybe tweakability vs simple IRs.

What would be really interesting is if they brought the dual cabs to the Go, but I'm guessing this takes advantage of the Helix dual paths, unless, they were built in the new IR cab system, but yeah I don't think so, as that would exponentially increase the number of required IRs...

a screenshot of a computer

So yeah I guess the only way to get dual cabs in Go would be using IRs, as it very likely won't be included in Go?

I've really not seen many dual IRs packs/downloads...  But maybe they wouldn't be too difficult to generate via Audacity or the such?  If IRs are simple .wavs, generating a dual cab IR would simply be adding the two waves together and then halving amplitude?   You'd basically get the average of both IRs.  If you wanted, you could also mix 60/40 or 70/30 % for left/right channels, which might give interesting stereo results.

Am I misunderstanding the concept of IRs or wouldn't this be incredibly interesting for Pod Go users?

I'm hoping Pod Go will get dual cabs albeit in the same signal path so you could switch between them and/or use both together.  An extra cab would require more DSP but if its not much more and if the new cab models are more DSP efficient then its a definite maybe.  We're speculating of course.  But I believe this is Line 6's response to Boss who, in the GT1000 & GX100, cleverly combine good quality IR's with their amp models to give users a better tone & feel from the off without having to do all the fiddling.  The new cab engine won't necessarily simplify the 'fiddling' but will sonically lift the stock cab quality which, for many, has been Helix' and Pod Go's 'achilles heel'. The legacy cabs will still be there and users can switch between them or not.  So if they have patches they like, made with stock cabs, the new engine won't replace those cabs unless the user selects a new cab for it.  

• 4 weeks later...

@rarellano why the sad face?  lol   

One thing which L6 should, or could do, is just release a patch for the new effects, such as the above amp & reverbs, and just add the new cab engine in a later patch, if they're having trouble doing so...  Not sure what type of job adding existing amps/reverbs to Go vs Helix, but since they've done a few now, should be straightforward? 

The last 1.4 patch was released July 2022, 9 months ago?  That's a while ago..

But to be frank, I'm still discovering lots of stuff with the Go, so it's not like as if the update and new stuff are that important...  I mean, ex;  'discovered' the Jazz Rivet 120, which sounds pretty fn incredible clean, not sure why I had discarded it earlier, likely because I hate 99% of Jazz out there...  Probably does not beat my favourite Archtype Clean, but pretty awesome alternative, I need to spend more time with Fender amps, but yeah, fantastic alternative...  

And then when you add compressors and everything, whcih there's a ton of, you can get so many tones, switch the cabs/mics, or IRs, and again, infinite number of tones...  So it's not like I, or anybody, needs more cabs/amps; already an infinity of sounds in there.  Bit the same with effects; Ariadratic (sp?) delay + plate reverb = some sort of fancy Ganymede/Glitch like delay, so if for some reason you're itching for new reverbs, you can kinda make your own, mix & match, or even just reconfiguring existing delays you can get a LOT of variety...

But yeah few hours of guitar per week, and it's a toy / hobby for me, plus most of the time now is just playing rather than tweaking, which can be somewhat of a pain..

hehe yeah...  Personally, I'm happy with the best IR in the world; does everything I want, and never feel compelled to go cab/mic route.  Plus, as I mentioned, a great solution for the Go would be DIY dual cabs IR, by merging 2 different IR files.  So, if that works as I think it should, could again be a great workaround/until we get the new cab system, if that's what you're waiting for. 

(From what I saw for IRs, they appear to be mono, so you couldn't have different left/right channels, but you could merge say 33% amp1 and 67% amp2, which could give interesting results, or could be horrible...  Haven't tried it yet lol)

If it's new cabs/effects, probably lots of stuff you can revisit, or check out vids about Go to get new inspiration!  Already so much stuff in the Go, likely tons of stuff we've all overlooked!

Whilst I'm of course curious as to what v1. 50 might offer Pod Go users, it won't fundamentally change anything for me. I bought Pod Go primarily so I could play along to backing tracks and vids on YouTube during the pandemic lockdown.  I also hoped it might provide a good solution for live gigging. 

I think it's a super little unit but I have decided that for my needs it's not suitable for gigging. This isn't a reflection of Pod Go, and it would be the same if I had a Helix LT, Boss GT1000, GX100, Headrush or any of the modern mfx units.  On stage I need something that's easy to use, and can be tweaked in seconds.  To do that a menu driven Mfx simply doesn't work for me and I need real knobs and dials. I would add that the Pod Go PSU is simply not fit for purpose for gigging. 

That's why my gigging mfx of choice after all these years is still my Vox Tonelab SE and LE units.  Built like a tank, heavy duty power supply with no wall wart, but most importantly still sound great, and have real knobs and dials with no fx chain complications or DSP limits to stop me having any of the albeit more limited options available from the TLs.  So if I need to add a distortion or a chorus I just turn a dial and I'm there. 

And the simplicity of an amp and pedal board is the other route of course, although I don't want to schlapp heavy amps around again. 

Everyone's needs and take are different of course. But any new amp, fx and cab engine in Pod Go will merely add to it's complexity, won't make it easier to use on stage, and won't fix it's dreadful PSU. 

I'm really hoping and expecting that the next update for Pod Go fixes it's fundermental weakness! - that is, you can't run any kind of stereo effect in a live context, because the last effect in the chain - the cab - turns everything to mono!! (the cab has to be the last effect, as the tap off to the on-stage amp is just before it). Either stereo cab or IR - don't mind which, but PLEASE give us the ability to run the Pod Go in stereo!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 11:19 AM, voxman55 said:

Whilst I'm of course curious as to what v1. 50 might offer Pod Go users, it won't fundamentally change anything for me. I bought Pod Go primarily so I could play along to backing tracks and vids on YouTube during the pandemic lockdown.  I also hoped it might provide a good solution for live gigging. 

I think it's a super little unit but I have decided that for my needs it's not suitable for gigging. This isn't a reflection of Pod Go, and it would be the same if I had a Helix LT, Boss GT1000, GX100, Headrush or any of the modern mfx units.  On stage I need something that's easy to use, and can be tweaked in seconds.  To do that a menu driven Mfx simply doesn't work for me and I need real knobs and dials. I would add that the Pod Go PSU is simply not fit for purpose for gigging. 

That's why my gigging mfx of choice after all these years is still my Vox Tonelab SE and LE units.  Built like a tank, heavy duty power supply with no wall wart, but most importantly still sound great, and have real knobs and dials with no fx chain complications or DSP limits to stop me having any of the albeit more limited options available from the TLs.  So if I need to add a distortion or a chorus I just turn a dial and I'm there. 

And the simplicity of an amp and pedal board is the other route of course, although I don't want to schlapp heavy amps around again. 

Everyone's needs and take are different of course. But any new amp, fx and cab engine in Pod Go will merely add to it's complexity, won't make it easier to use on stage, and won't fix it's dreadful PSU. 

Given your comment re the psu , i just checked for a replacement ,and Andertons have the original one for £60 ,which is slightly worrying given that i've just bought a PGW.

Also to say that i also had a Vox Tonelab SE ,and yes it was a great  unit, what with the big old chicken head knobs and dials ,and those proper Vox chrome and rubber pedals, it was indeed a joy to behold, unfortunately mine took the loss many years ago after a punter spilled beer into it, and i ended up replacing it with a Boss GT something or other ,which was awful sounding in comparison.

Anyway ,looking forward to my PGW , but already freaked about the psu .

On 5/23/2023 at 1:13 AM, antonio1961 said:

Given your comment re the psu , i just checked for a replacement ,and Andertons have the original one for £60 ,which is slightly worrying given that i've just bought a PGW.

Also to say that i also had a Vox Tonelab SE ,and yes it was a great  unit, what with the big old chicken head knobs and dials ,and those proper Vox chrome and rubber pedals, it was indeed a joy to behold, unfortunately mine took the loss many years ago after a punter spilled beer into it, and i ended up replacing it with a Boss GT something or other ,which was awful sounding in comparison.

Anyway ,looking forward to my PGW , but already freaked about the psu .

I bought one of these - actually better - thicker, longer cable:

Picture 1 of 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164036024339

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

When I see the latest releases, it seems to me there is only one firmware update per year. And when comparing with Helix, I hope/expect the update to add the compilation of the latest Helix upgrades.

I have not bought mine yet, I think I'm going to wait till next upgrade. This is just in case, I have already found myself with a hardware whose company decided to stop upgrades. Market is changing and there may be changes. New changes that may give us new chances.

Hi Voxman55 and Antonio1961, my Tonelab is the EX bought used, and now it may be a good chance to remove the dust. Thanks!

Regards.

On 6/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, Torrezning said:

Hi

When I see the latest releases, it seems to me there is only one firmware update per year. And when comparing with Helix, I hope/expect the update to add the compilation of the latest Helix upgrades.

I have not bought mine yet, I think I'm going to wait till next upgrade. This is just in case, I have already found myself with a hardware whose company decided to stop upgrades. Market is changing and there may be changes. New changes that may give us new chances.

Hi Voxman55 and Antonio1961, my Tonelab is the EX bought used, and now it may be a good chance to remove the dust. Thanks!

Regards.

Line 6 are most certainly not stopping upgrades, they are still commited to Pod Go, and are still working hard on v1.50 that will have the new cab engine.  The difference with v1.50 as compared to all previous upgrades that focused on eg amp/fx is that the new cab engine means there are some fundamental changes needed to Pod Go's underlying architecture - it's not easy to do, and hence the time lag from Helix v3.50.

Posted by Digital Igloo (Line 6) yesterday on The Gear Page (to various posts around the internet suggesting Pod Go was less important for them, folk saying why does Helix always get stuff first, & it might not have the new cab engine etc):

" Far be it to obligate myself to post in one of several dozen places I frequent every X weeks to keep the kids at bay, but... yes, we're still working on POD Go 1.50. Not including the new cab engine would mean we're stupid enough to not understand the advantages in making POD Go the best-sounding multieffects under $500... by a not inconsiderable amount. And we're not stupid.

The reason POD Go's update cadence follows Helix/HX's is that its DSP is a subset of Helix/HX; that is, we have to develop for the Helix/HX platform and then figure out how to port as much as possible from it over to POD Go; it doesn't work the other way around. We've been transparent about this from the get go. <Heh. Get Go. I'll see myself out.>

At no point has anyone at Line 6 ever said anything like "Oh, it's the cheaper box. Let them wait."  

• Thanks 2

Sweet!

On 6/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, Torrezning said:

I have not bought mine yet, I think I'm going to wait till next upgrade.

Unless what's in the latest update is a deal breaker for you if it was for some reason not released, I'd just buy the Go now if you're thinking about buying it in the future.  And by that, I mean the current Go has hundreds of effects, amps and all, you can use IRs, so ...  The little extra there will be in the future patch really isn't much relative to what you would get right now with the Go. 

Not to say you shouldn't do your due diligence and check what alternatives there are to Pod Go...  But yeah if you're gonna buy it, better buy it now I'd say, waiting for price drop which might not come or patch is a bit futile.  When you'll plug it in, you'll have so much stuff to play with I guarantee you really won't worry about what's missing from the future patch.  Just search for my IR thread, link to best IR in the world, you can use that instead of the cabs; imho; huge upgrade in terms of simplicity & not having to worry about cab+mic.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:54 AM, Torrezning said:

…., I have already found myself with a hardware whose company decided to stop upgrades. …

Only one so far? EVERY electronic device that has received past upgrades will eventually  receive no further upgrades. You’re right that the POD Go will someday see its final upgrade. But that day is not today.

The same is true of any brand new product you choose to buy instead.