Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New To Noise Gates: Suggested Settings?

justcrash

I don't want it to cut off notes. But I DO want it to cut back on the uncontrolled feed back and pick up hum.

I imagine I'll have to sacrifice a little of each to find a happy medium. What is a decent setting to start with?

I don't want it to cut off notes. But I DO want it to cut back on the uncontrolled feed back and pick up hum.

I imagine I'll have to sacrifice a little of each to find a happy medium. What is a decent setting to start with?

Unfortunatelty, there's almost no way to answer that, and it's unlikely that you'll find one global setting that will work for every patch you create. It depends on the guitar and how hot the pickups are (are they single coils or humbuckers?), the amp model and how much gain you're using, and how hard you hit the strings. Also depends to a great extent on the room you're playing in and what other electronic devices are running nearby. There can be a tremendous difference from one environment to another. If you're in a bar that has neon signs plugged in anywhere near your rig and you're playing anything with single coils, be prepared for some God-awful noise issues. Just gotta fiddle with it until it works for you...different patches will likely require different gate settings, and some might not need one at all.

are you looking for "keep amp noise down" gating or chug-chug-chug start/stop riff gating? The former would be best to use the regular noise gate and follow Brazzy's advice. For metal rhythm gating think of your gates like OD...using the hard gate and stacking several with low settings throughout the chain gets the gating without loosing too much sustain. In my rhythm patches my chain usually goes Hard Gate-OD-Hard Gate-AMP-Noise Gate and then whatever ambient effects after the amp...works pretty well, but the settings are going to be adjusted for you guitar etc...I usually set my gates with the OD on and the amp off and I end up with pretty tight settings when I turn it back on.

• Upvote 1

Starting as suggested above (treating it like a squelch) it all depends on how much gain you are using and what style of music you play.

I like a very quick reaction so I keep Decay at 0 and the threshold at 30 is just enough to keep the hiss out when I'm not playing but allows me to turn down the volume on my guitar for a cleaner sound without cutting out notes.

never turn the thresh above 50%. the tone suffers considerably past this point. if u require heavy gating and there is too much unwanted noise still, add more gates, which also never should be turned past 50%.

I have to agree here although sometimes I will go above 50%, just 'cause I can. Lol