Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New Shure wireless announced at the same time as the old system starts getting all sorts of interference. Coincidence?

theElevators

So I have been happily using my Shure Wireless system GLXD16 for guitar for about 7 years now.  It'd never failed me live, I've taken it all around the US and to Europe, Israel.  No cutting out, no interference, dependable, solid, great. 

All of a sudden we went to Florida and played 3 gigs in Tampa, Orlando and Miami.  Me and the bass player started getting interference on our GLXD16 systems.  For me it was manageable, and only noticeable if I went far away from the receiver (off stage) and was holding a long note, however for the bass player it sounded like a leslie was on fast. 

We tried everything, including running bass through my wireless system, and the interference was still noticeable on bass, making it unusable.  We wound up routing the receiver to where the microphone was to minimize the distance and played 3 shows the same exact way.

So now question: does it sound like a coincidence that literally less than a month that a new and improved wireless system is announced, the old one stops being reliable?  Could it be that they "freed up some frequencies" for like air traffic control or something (sorry I am not that technical).  Thoughts? 

Here's the new system btw:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GLXD16p--shure-glxd16-digital-wireless-guitar-pedal-system

I think I would blame that infamous "Florida Man".  You know the one that's always reported on news wires, "Florida man buries his wife in a swamp, Florida man drives across the state on flat tire and wheel rim, causes $12 million in damage to highways....that guy.

Honestly my first thought is either power problems or wireless interference at the venues.  Is there any commonality there such as near airports or airfields, neon lighting, etc.  If not, "Florida Man" is a likely suspect....

• Haha 2

Well, the original GLX runs (apparently) exclusively in the 2.4ghz range, and that band is becoming notoriously crowded.  Depending on the venue/crowd the wireless could have been having a hard time getting a clean lock.

I run a G50 on my guitar, and an Xvive U4 for in-ears, both on the 2.4 band.  Have never had any major issues (the bands mixer router also runs 2.4).  Just a week back we played at a retirement community in the area - outdoor venue.  When we got there for load in, they were holding a "Trivia" game where the players in the audience were using their smart phones to "ring in" their answers to the quiz masters laptop.  There were like 100 people playing - and my first thought was "Holy sh*t, there must be an insane router to handle that many simultaneous wi-fi connections".  And how many of those people had the presence of mind to shut down their phones wi-fi when the game was over?

Sure enough, for the first time ever I had significant issues with my wireless rigs.  Went to cable on the guitar, and just bit the weeny on the in-ears - the dropouts were just barely in the "tolerable" range. 

So don't discount the possiblity - 2.4 is becoming an LA freeway during rush hour.  I note the new GLX+ can switch between 2.4 and 5.8, a much emptier band for now.

This is L6's board, so I won't name competitors, but - based on a number of YouTube demos and in-depth reviews I've purchased two of the "dongle" type wireless units we're seeing more of these days.  One in the 5.8ghz range, the other in the 900mhz range. Son of a gun if early testing isn't showing them to be dead on rock solid.  The tech has advanced rapidly, "cheap" wireless isn't a joke anymore.  And I only need, what, about 30ft?  Punch line - I got both units, combined, for around $100.  Dirt cheap to have not one, but two fallback units.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:56 PM, ricstudioc said:

Well, the original GLX runs (apparently) exclusively in the 2.4ghz range, and that band is becoming notoriously crowded.  Depending on the venue/crowd the wireless could have been having a hard time getting a clean lock.

I run a G50 on my guitar, and an Xvive U4 for in-ears, both on the 2.4 band.  Have never had any major issues (the bands mixer router also runs 2.4).  Just a week back we played at a retirement community in the area - outdoor venue.  When we got there for load in, they were holding a "Trivia" game where the players in the audience were using their smart phones to "ring in" their answers to the quiz masters laptop.  There were like 100 people playing - and my first thought was "Holy sh*t, there must be an insane router to handle that many simultaneous wi-fi connections".  And how many of those people had the presence of mind to shut down their phones wi-fi when the game was over?

Sure enough, for the first time ever I had significant issues with my wireless rigs.  Went to cable on the guitar, and just bit the weeny on the in-ears - the dropouts were just barely in the "tolerable" range. 

So don't discount the possiblity - 2.4 is becoming an LA freeway during rush hour.  I note the new GLX+ can switch between 2.4 and 5.8, a much emptier band for now.

This is L6's board, so I won't name competitors, but - based on a number of YouTube demos and in-depth reviews I've purchased two of the "dongle" type wireless units we're seeing more of these days.  One in the 5.8ghz range, the other in the 900mhz range. Son of a gun if early testing isn't showing them to be dead on rock solid.  The tech has advanced rapidly, "cheap" wireless isn't a joke anymore.  And I only need, what, about 30ft?  Punch line - I got both units, combined, for around $100.  Dirt cheap to have not one, but two fallback units.

Yeah, I'm aware about the frequency range...  But you have to agree that 2 wireless units, 3 venues and all of them had issues out of nowhere.  That's what strikes me as odd.  You gotta admit that it's kind-of fishy that from the 100+ shows I've played with the wireless why the heck did it start happening only now, and only in Florida (so far)?!

On 4/12/2023 at 10:03 AM, theElevators said:

So now question: does it sound like a coincidence that literally less than a month that a new and improved wireless system is announced, the old one stops being reliable? 

Planned obsolescence is nothing new. That being said, in order for this to be a viable conspiracy, the manufacturer would have had to either:

A )Have some way of remotely sabotaging existing units in the wild, or

B) Built a Mission Impossible-style self-destruct circuit into your device, working on a timer and conveniently bursting into flames just prior to releasing the new product.

I don't think either scenario is terribly likely...which leaves us with coincidence. When you hear hoof beats, think "horse"...zebras are in short supply around here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/12/2023 at 2:54 PM, theElevators said:

Or maybe it's something like some TVs emit certain frequencies.  Maybe those frequencies were reserved, and now they are not.  That's what I was getting at. 

I suppose anything's possible...especially with the FCC who has a great deal of autonomy in it's mandates.  But there are tons of other factors one of which is that Florida (and in particular those three cities where you played) are leading almost every place in the US with population growth, 2nd only to Texas.  By definition that means a lot more infrastructure and a lot more chance for interference in these frequency ranges.

As mentioned by some above, I've moved all of my wireless to the plugin dongle style for both guitar as well vocal mic and it's worked solidly, and I'm in Florida in the Tampa area.  The downside in your case is these type of units are not really good at long distances, but I think the frequency issue is still going to be a big problem in dense urban areas.

2.4 Ghz is a doomed frequency. Every single piece of wireless crap is using it, and even with 11/13 channels this isnt enough to get a solid link without something overlapping your bandwidth and injecting jitter and noise. The huge amount of SSIDs, smart devices, routers, extenders, smartphones, hubs, wifi bulbs, doorbells, cctvs, etc... are everywhere and filling every inch of air. This system isn't good anymore for Wireless audio, and it's time to move on something else. There are companies working on it, as this is a real problem, so I don't think is a commercial move. 

My L6 Relays also worked perfect for years, but now they are just grabbing dust because totally unreliable due the 2.4Ghz pollution. The only way I can get them working again, is to busk in a desert.

On 4/13/2023 at 7:00 AM, PierM said:

2.4 Ghz is a doomed frequency. Every single piece of wireless crap is using it, and even with 11/13 channels this isnt enough to get a solid link without something overlapping your bandwidth and injecting jitter and noise. The huge amount of SSIDs, smart devices, routers, extenders, smartphones, hubs, wifi bulbs, doorbells, cctvs, etc... are everywhere and filling every inch of air. 

And that's just what the devices are doing to themselves, lol...can't wait till somebody establishes a provable link between all this close-range, 24/7 EM exposure and some exotic cancer, or other weird ailment(s). We were built to be wearing a loincloth, and chasing wildebeest across the Serengeti...there's no way any of this crap is good for us, but I digress. On the bright side all the Telecoms will eventually go the way of Big Tobacco, once the lawsuits begin...hope I last long enough to see it, lol.

On 4/13/2023 at 3:16 PM, cruisinon2 said:

And that's just what the devices are doing to themselves, lol...can't wait till somebody establishes a provable link between all this close-range, 24/7 EM exposure and some exotic cancer, or other weird ailment(s). We were built to be wearing a loincloth, and chasing wildebeest across the Serengeti...there's no way any of this crap is good for us, but I digress. On the bright side all the Telecoms will eventually go the way of Big Tobacco, once the lawsuits begin...hope I last long enough to see it, lol.

Let me tell you that, real story; since last year I had a full alexa domotic setup in my house. An echo dot for each room, hubs, smart lights, smart cctvs, air quality sensors per room, and every possible smart crap. After couple of weeks of this is mess online, my cat gradually started going nuts, running away from invisible things...pulling his own fur, stinky pee everywhere. Vet said was suffering of some allergy...so I started changing his diet, and everything...but nothing changed. Pretty young cat, never had a problem before...so after couple of months I started doing some reverse engineering in my head, and I realized the cat started this behaviour just when I setup the smart house. Next day I pulled all the wifi lollipop off, and kept only the router for my daily internet. After a week every single symptom was basically gone. Vet said was a coincidence, I call this BS. I'm 100% sure it was the EM exposure, so all that Alexa crap will stay off and buried in a closet.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, PierM said:

Let me tell you that, real story; since last year I had a full alexa domotic setup in my house. An echo dot for each room, hubs, smart lights, smart cctvs, air quality sensors per room, and every possible smart crap. After couple of weeks of this is mess online, my cat gradually started going nuts, running away from invisible things...pulling his own fur, stinky pee everywhere. Vet said was suffering of some allergy...so I started changing his diet, and everything...but nothing changed. Pretty young cat, never had a problem before...so after couple of months I started doing some reverse engineering in my head, and I realized the cat started this behaviour just when I setup the smart house. Next day I pulled all the wifi lollipop off, and kept only the router for my daily internet. After a week every single symptom was basically gone. Vet said was a coincidence, I call this BS. I'm 100% sure it was the EM exposure, so all that Alexa crap will stay off and buried in a closet.

Wow... unfortunately you'll never be able to prove it one way or the other, but it does give one pause. I object to Alexa and the like on other grounds, anyway...I refuse to have a internet connected listening device in my home. The powers that be will have to work a little harder to spy on me, should they so choose....I sure as $hit won't do it for them.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, total coincidence. We had the first-gen GLX systems and experienced all kinds of interference right out of the box, from 2.4gHz (wi-fi) sources. Ultimately, we had to sell them and move on to traditional radio units. I'm sure in Florida it was just a exceptionally wi-fi heavy ecosystem. Maybe others running lots of networked devices. Just my 2 cents

On 4/13/2023 at 6:00 AM, PierM said:

2.4 Ghz is a doomed frequency. Every single piece of wireless crap is using it,

Most newer devices are unleashed into the 5Ghz world... which in time is going to free up some of the 2.4Ghz space. But yeah, right now it is terribly congested. 

I've seen this happen with UHF systems. They became completely unusable because everyone from cabs to security used it. Fast forward 10 years & I'm the only one on stage with a UHF IEM system... I'm also the only one on stage that has never suffered any recent interference (knock on wood). 

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 8:04 AM, cruisinon2 said:

Wow... unfortunately you'll never be able to prove it one way or the other, but it does give one pause. I object to Alexa and the like on other grounds, anyway...I refuse to have a internet connected listening device in my home. The powers that be will have to work a little harder to spy on me, should they so choose....I sure as $hit won't do it for them.

The people that have Alexa in their homes really need to read 1984. So instead of the government forcing you to have big brother in your home. People are choosing to put it in voluntarily. Exactly the way the powers that be want it.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2023 at 7:49 PM, brue58ski said:

The people that have Alexa in their homes really need to read 1984. So instead of the government forcing you to have big brother in your home. People are choosing to put it in voluntarily. Exactly the way the powers that be want it.

This is a bit of a boomer statement.

Alexa isnt sending any audio recording to anyone, unless you dont throw a command. Of course the system is "listening" to recognize when you use the trigger phrase, but that listening is just a local routine. If Alexa would send 24/7 an audio stream from any echo station running in the world, that would just blow up their servers.

Also, you can force the system to not store any audio, which means all is happening is just a data roundtrip; trigger phrase, request sent to server, answer sent back to client,  data deleted.

It's 2023, soon AI will take over our daily jobs and govs already knows everything about us that needs to be known.

Life is too short to live wearing a tinfoil hat. :)

On 4/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, PierM said:

This is a bit of a boomer statement.

Alexa isnt sending any audio recording to anyone, unless you dont throw a command. Of course the system is "listening" to recognize when you use the trigger phrase, but that listening is just a local routine. If Alexa would send 24/7 an audio stream from any echo station running in the world, that would just blow up their servers.

Also, you can force the system to not store any audio, which means all is happening is just a data roundtrip; trigger phrase, request sent to server, answer sent back to client,  data deleted.

It's 2023, soon AI will take over our daily jobs and govs already knows everything about us that needs to be known.

Life is too short to live wearing a tinfoil hat. :)

Tin foil hat? You consider what I said along those lines? Um, OK. It can be turned on remotely to listen to you. It has that capabilty. Maybe that's changed. And they are keeping track of what you do. Like Google does. Go ahead and keep your "safe" Alexa. I guess I'll keep my "tin foil hat". Don't listen to me. there's plenty of info on the internet about this. Good luck.