Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Distorted / Harsh Harmony

MayPRS

Context: for gigs I use 4 CM with my amp (as it haves an FX Loop) and it works great (Helix LT).

On the rehearsal room (rented) I use whatever amp is available and usually none of them haves an FX Loop. What I did - I created a copy of the setlist I use live and removed the FX LOOP block so I can use as traditional pedalboard (directly to amp input).

As I use a very specific DS pedal on the Helix input (I cannot reproduce this particular sound on the Helix), specially the harmonies come out with an unpleasant distortion and very harsh/ugly sound. Sure must be a problem with my signal path, I must be clipping the Twin Harmony block. Maybe putting it in a parallel path? This happened yesterday (first rehearsal with the Helix) so I didn't have the time to test alternatives - just asking here to check if someone faces/faced the same issue that can guide me in the right direction.

Many thanks in advance.

If you are clipping the harmony block in this (non 4cm) set up... everything down chain from that is also seeing too much gain, you just might not notice it as badly. I would simply add a gain block in front of the harmony block and reduce the volume until it sounds good. When you turn the harmony block off - the rest of the path should still be getting the reduced gain it is used to in your 4cm setup.

If that doesn't work try placing the "twin harmony block" in a parallel path - and set the tilt EQ in front of it on that path. This gives you really simple gain and tone control over the harmony block without compromising the rest of the path. 

SIDE NOTE: You could try the non 4cm setup into your normal amp to see if that same problem exists. If it doesn't, it just the amp/speaker at the rehearsal room giving you grief.

• Thanks 1

I use a harmonizer to a great effect in several songs.  I place the Twin Harmony block after the distortion / amp / cab.  Basically at the very end of the chain, followed by some delay.  Maybe it's your placement of the harmonizer?  For me, it tracks pretty darn well and I don't have any clipping....  Here's a performance, you can hear how it sounds in context (1:34).  BTW, for distortion I use "Classic Dist", which works as DS-1.  No external pedals for me....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1